which satellite receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lisa, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Lisa

Lisa Extra

Can anyone tell me if any satellite receivers are better/worse than others? I am moving into a new house and plan on getting Directv. I will need 2 standard, dolby digital receivers and one hdtv receiver. I have used a Sony previously and totally loved it but now they seem to be discontinued and hard to get. Circuit City is pushing the RCA model (sorry, don't remember model #).

Thanks

2. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

For the two standard receivers I suggest Directv receivers with Tivo.

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Stephen is right, can't beat DirecTiVo for a standard receiver.

4. Lisa

Lisa Extra

What is the advantage with using TIVO or Ultimate TV and how much extra does it cost per month? What's a good place to buy these type of receivers and what brands are better (RCA, Sony, etc)?

Thanks
    Lisa

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

1. Dual tuners: ability to record two different channels at the same time or record one and watch the other
    2. No loss of quality whatsoever when recording — records the data stream as it comes off the satellite
    3. For TV junkies — ability to expand recording capacity to some un-Godly number of hours[/list=1]

You can either pay a $250 lifetime fee or $9.95/month. As I understand, there's no charge for extra DirecTiVo receivers (not so with standalone TiVos).

I prefer Sony, but there's nothing wrong with Philips. Stay away from Ultimate TV. Check out TiVo Community for all there is to know about DirecTV receivers with TiVo.

I heard that during this transitional period (TiVo is going from series 1 to series 2) the current crop is only available to new subscribers, but shouldn't be a problem in your case.

6. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious, why stay away from the Ultimate TV? I bought one a few months ago and am very happy with it. Are there supposed to be problems with it?

7. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

That's the impression I got from reading up on the AV Science Forum about a year and a half ago when I was looking at UTV and TiVo -- I read some horror stories about UTV. It looked to be less stable platform and harder to upgrade (disk-space wise) than TiVo. On top of that it was more expensive than DirecTiVo and did not offer a lifetime subscription fee. My personal experience with Microsoft products is such that they do not become good until the third revision, so UTV 3 (should it ever get to that) may be the king of PVRs [​IMG]

8. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

I see. Admittedly I didn't do my research when I got My system. I just knew I wanted a receiver with optical outs and the UTV was actually cheaper than the non-PVR unit they had. It seems to work well for me so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Quote:
    That's the impression I got from reading up on the AV Science Forum about a year and a half ago when I was looking at UTV and TiVo -- I read some horror stories about UTV. It looked to be less stable platform and harder to upgrade (disk-space wise) than TiVo. On top of that it was more expensive than DirecTiVo and did not offer a lifetime subscription fee. My personal experience with Microsoft products is such that they do not become good until the third revision, so UTV 3 (should it ever get to that) may be the king of PVRs
    -------------------------
    Dmitry, I have 4 UTV units and I'm afraid you're giving outdated info. They are less expensive to obtain and maintain than Directivo. You can get a UTV for 100.00 if you are an existing DirecTV customer or 50.00 if you are new. DirecTivo cost what? 400.00 for the unit alone then you can add 250 for lifetime service or pay 9.95 a month just like UTV. So let's cruch the numbers. If you buy a DirecTivo it will cost you 650.00 for the unit and lifetime service.
    However, if you bnought a UTV for 50.00 you could have it for 5 years before it and service adds up to 650. And who knows by that time there might be a a totally different system/unit to record programming. Keep in mind none of the current PVRs will record HDTV.
    Bottom line UTV puts you in the game at much less money than DirecTivo.
    BTW is also has 2 tuners that allows you to record two programs at the same time or record one while you watch a different channel.
    you should check this UTV forum out.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=41

10. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Reginald,
    bottom line is, of course, whether the purchase makes one happy or not. However, as somebody pointed out in the other PVR thread, OrbitSat will sell Sony DirecTiVo to a new subscriber for about $80 [​IMG]

11. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Quote:
    Reginald,
    bottom line is, of course, whether the purchase makes one happy or not. However, as somebody pointed out in the other PVR thread, OrbitSat will sell Sony DirecTiVo to a new subscriber for about $80
    -------------------------
    Dmitry,
    www.orbitsat.com is offering UTV units for free to new subscribers with a 1 year commitment to DTV.
    [​IMG]

12. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I have a question about either unit. If you set it up to record a ballgame (NFL, NBA or Major League Baseball) on Direct TV does it only record the estimated time allotment for the game or if the game goes in overtime or extra innings would it keep recording?

Sometimes when I'm not home I would like to record a game on Direct TV to watch later with the better picture quality these units can give but I would want to make sure that the complete game would be recorded if it goes over the time estimated for the game.

13. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Tivo has options to start recording up to 10 minutes before a program is scheduled to begin and stop recording up to 3 hours after a program is scheduled to end.

14. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I always pad all sports recordings manually — TiVo only picks up changes in the guide, not the actual program overrun.

15. Jeff Theobald

Jeff Theobald Auditioning

I think that the Zenith DTV-1080 is the current HDTV leader (love mine), but it does have its quirks. The follow-on model is a DTV 520. I have read also that the Samsung SIR-T160 is supposed to be a top performer (both to be available in Fall 2002). Of course these opinions are formed from peoples experience with current models, projected features/options, and discussions with manufacturers - not with hands-on experience.
    Be sure to visit the HDTV Hardware Forum for a lot more info:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=25