Which satellite package to choose (DirectTV or Dish)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Behrens, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Mar 2, 2000
    Christian Behrens
    Hi all,

My landlord and I will be switching to satellite tv, as the cable quality is getting worse and AT&T seems to force everyone to subscribe to 'digital' cable.

I looked at the listings of both DirectTV and Dish Networks and they look pretty similar to me. Are there technical advantages by choosing one over the other? HDTV is currently not part of the equation and probably won't be for quite some time.

Also, what is a good way of getting the necessary hardware, are there deals to be had with certain vendors? Do I have to have specific hardware (dish, receiver) if I go with one system over the other?

Thanks for any pointers!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

May 19, 2002
    IMO, both have similar deals. New customers can get a dish and receiver (or two receiver package) with free installation, so long as you sign up for one year. Basically you buy a package for around $100–$250, get a $50 mail-in rebate and the installation is thrown in.

The receivers are not interchangeable. Both systems have deals with several manufactures that allow for several different equipment options. For example DirectTv customers can choose RCA, Sony and others. Dish also allows choices.

Both have a choice of receiver types. A basic one, with a single set of RCA, composite outputs and an S-Video output (retails for about $100 and you get $50 back). Most of the manufactures also make a receiver with an optical output for 5.1 sound (for those programs with that sound) and a couple of sets of RCA outputs and an S-Video.

There are some minor differences between the Dish and DirectTV HD offerings, but I am not aware of the differences in their SD packages.
  3. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Jan 10, 2002
    Go with the DTV because they have the Direct Tivo. If you have ever wanted a PVR this one is one of the best.[​IMG] [​IMG]