Which Satellite company....

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Gerald LaFrance, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Which Satellite company offers the most HD programming I see that VOOM is Dead and DirecTV is all I could find any others out there besides cable??

I also would like to know what Connection does HDTV box use to hookup to a LCD projector, I know how it hooks up just dont know what kind of Conector it is?? THNX
    [​IMG]

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Gerard, I also live in NJ and have Directv. I get the directs HD channels plus we get our local CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox channels without an OTA antenna. We also seem to be getting Yankee games on YES HD. Although, it only airs whent he game is on. No other YES programming comes in HD.

I don't have my projector hooked to the hd box. But, I use the DVI connector to hook it up to my rear projection set. It seemed to be the best to use.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I've had Echostar HD (Dish) for several years now. I'm currently using their 2 tuner HD PVR to connect to my Runco FP via Component/RGB. I could use DVI, I guess, but running a 50 foot long DVI cable to the projector would be very expensive, not to mention the potential of problems with the signal. I've still got to research that a bit more in the future but I think I'll wait until the MPEG4 system is in place with all the providers in case the hardware connectivity changes again.

In the meantime, HDTV looks great projected on a 110" diagonal screen no matter which provider you use. For a while Dish provided the most HD channels. Right now DirecTV provides more of the locals (I only get CBSHD) but that should all change by the fall when Dish adds more capability (they just purchased a satellite from VOOM although I don't know what the impact will be). Dish has a lot of the special HD channels (DiscoveryHD, ESPN, HDNET, PPV, etc. etc.) You can check it out at the Dish and the DirecTV web sites.

Of course, everyone will claim to offer the most, best, etc. I've been extremely happy with Dish and see no reason to switch at this time. When the MPEG2 -> MPEG4 shift occurs and all the equipment has to be swapped out will be when I make my next decision whether to stay with Dish or to move. I have a single, no frills DirecTV set-up, but not HD, for the YES network since Dish, for some unexplained reason, refuses to carry it. If this is still the case when the switch comes, then I might change over all my equipment to DirecTV (since it would probably be most cost-effective at that point), but it doesn't make any sense right now because other than YES I prefer the Dish offerings and equipment.

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    I went to Xtreme theater located in deleware and saw HD TV on the big screen really nice, I wasnt aware that you could do this [​IMG]

So does DirectTV use a standard cable wire to the box, then DVI or Component to the Projector??
    If I use the component for the DVD and DVI for the computer how would I hookup the HDTV??

5. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Yes it is a coax cable to the box and then I guess it depends on the box that you have. On mine there are Component, HDMI and S-Video outputs.

As for content, for DirecTV it depends on the market. Generally where I’m located, (the SF Bay Area) the only network feed you can pretty much depend on getting is ABC. The others haven’t been too generous with the waivers needed to get either the NY or LA HD network feeds.

Fortunately I was able to get the waivers needed so I currently enjoy both East Coast and West Coast HD network feeds which is great for Tivo time shifting.

If I didn’t have the waivers I would have waited until after DirecTV had gotten their next round of satellites up because just getting the few items available on their standard HD package would not have been worth it for me.

6. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Do you know when this is going to happen? I just got Dish and may want to do the same.

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

2nd half of this year I think.

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Dish says 2nd half of this year, but based on the track record of the industry in general I would likely think it's closer to being a year or a year and a half away. Just my opinion.

Also, there have been mixed reports as to whether the providers will upgrade old boxes to MPEG4 as a routine matter or charge for it. The jury's still out on that one so I can't predict what will happen. At least some of my boxes (including one of the PVR's) are part of my "package" and are actually owned by Dish so I would think that those would be upgraded since I contracted for the service and they provided the equipment. The two PVRs I purchased (not leased) - a 721 and a 921 might be a different story.

Time will tell.

9. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Mine are too....I didn't sign a contract though so maybe that could be a bargaining chip....[​IMG]