What's new

Which SACDs are known to have compressed 2-channel tracks and should be avoided? (1 Viewer)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Actually I've had many "holy shit" moments with the Rolling Stones remasters.
Got to agree big time! Check out Memo From Turner on Singles Collection, Sympathy For The Devil & Salt Of The Earth on Beggars, all of the stereo cuts on 12X5, Midnight Rambler on Ya-Yas (room shaking bass), & all of Satanic (even Gomper is now listenable).
Also, even though people here seem to be ragging on it, the stereo track on The Stranger is by far the best I have ever heard it (and I've listened to this album A LOT), and the surround mix is really cool!

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I agree that the Stones discs sound pretty good, but again, my present speakers kind of suck and a better pair will surely mean a world of difference.
Mike, what you say about rock on SACD makes absolute sense, but that's okay, because while I like plenty of rock, it's Jazz and Classical that I'm most concerned with. I'm salivating at the thought of the forthcoming A Love Supreme and Blue Trane discs. Mmmm.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have had "holy s%it moments" with many rock SACDs. Now, inherently, these recordings are lacking, but when compared to the CDs, most rock SACDs are outstanding. The Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971 falls into this category. I also have been very impressed with the recent Aerosmith compilation. The Billy Joel rock SACDs are not the greatest-sounding out there, but they definitely beat the remastered CDs. I picked up the multi-channel version of Toto IV, and the stereo track is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks