Which Sacd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Feb 18, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Would you buy? Sony has so many different versions ranging from $200 and up. Is there a sonic difference in the $200 models compared to the low model ES line?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Michael, I only have one unit, the Sony SCD555ES. I was not able to compare this unit to others before buying but here is what I can give you for a rundown and yes, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in sound quality between units.

Fellow members rave about the XA777ES player saying it's breathtaking sonically. But the price is breathtaking also and I doubt you want to spend $1700.

The previous 777ES player is a significant downgrade to the XA model from what I've heard, but still a fine player in it's own right.

The SCD-1 is the flagship, but again price is a huge issue here.

I have the 555ES which you can get online for $800 I think it's great in Redbook and especially good in SACD. I felt $800 was no small price, but for a 5 year warranty and the benefit of SACD, I went for it.

I believe the 333ES is discontinued but you can still find it out there. It's a single disk player (the 555 is multichannel), but some have said that it sounds better than the 555).

The 222 is suppose to be a big step down from the 555.

The other models I have not been that familiar with but the word is that you get a significant performance downgrade by leaving the ES line for a regular model Sony. That's my .02

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

I think you have gotten a feel for where I stand with various players in your other thread on the Audio/Video Sources board. Hope that information was helpful in some way.

Evan,

The lowest price I have still seen on the 'XA777ES from an authorized dealer is $2000 (Oade Bros.). One person on Audio Asylum said the other day that J&R Music World will beat that price. I believe the person said that J&R would go as low as $1850 or so. However, when I have called J&R, they have quoted me $2299 right off the bat. One salesman offered to go lower if I wanted to pull the trigger right then and there, but I didn't push it because I figured the player would still cost more than I would like to spend. I might grab the 'XA777ES if Sony drops the retail price on it as they have done with other ES SACD players (i.e., '777ES, 'C333ES, and 'C555ES). I bought my three players after Sony dropped the retail price, and hopefully history will repeat itself with the 'XA777ES.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    One minor correction to the content thus far: The Sony SCD-777ES is not a big downgrade from the XA777. It may not even be a downgrade at all.

The XA has multichannel capability but sound quality is close to the equal of the SCD-1.

Some audio critics still prefer the SCD-777ES.

Lee

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I stand corrected. Thanks Lee!

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Evan,
    No problem. [​IMG]
    Lee

7. MichaelGomez

For anyone else that might be interested, here are the prices that oade bros. quoted me:

SACD Pricing:

Sony DVP-NS500V $250

Sony SCD-CE775 $295

Sony DVP-NC650V $325

Sony SCD-C222ES $525

Sony DVP-NS900V $550 (Price Just Dropped!)

Sony SCD-C555ES $775

Sony DVP-S9000ES $900 (Delivery Included)

Philips SACD-1000 $1,300 (Delivery Included)

Sony SCD-XA777ES $2,000 (Delivery Included)

Sony SCD-1 $2,850

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, excellent point. Many people on Audio Asylum have been ga-ga over the 'XA777ES for months now. Kalman Rubinson was ga-ga over the 'XA777ES in his review in the January issue of Stereophile. Many 'XA777ES owners on Audio Asylum claim it is a better stereo player than the '777ES, and others claim the 'XA777ES outperforms the SCD-1. However, Robert Harley and Andrew Cordesman of The Absolute Sound published a more subdued view of the 'XA777ES in the current issue. Harley and Cordesman found the '1 to be better than the 'XA777ES, especially in the bass. Also, Cordesman said that the 'XA777ES and '777ES were "too close to call". So, I came away less enthralled with the prospects of buying the 'XA777ES after reading the review in The Absolute Sound, but I am still curious as to how it would sound in my system. The six-DAC system has me intrigued, and I can't dismiss the rave reviews it has been getting overall.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    KeithH,

I too have been tempted to purchase an XA777. There have been some good reviews. And multichannel is awesome. I heard the BUcky Pizzarelli disc in Chesky's mastering room and was blown away! And the 2 channel rocks too!

A few things are stopping me from pulling out the checkbook, such as:

1. Price - Not quibbling about overall value but I suspect this will move lower, even before advent of next batch of new models.

2. Aesthetics - A definite step down from the SCD-777. I love my top-loading, heavy, museum piece just as it is. I guess it is really a working museum piece.

Let's face it, that brass chuck is coooooool.

3. $2K is a nice down payment on my next pre-amp upgrade... Audio Research LS25? Hovland? Pass Labs? Still researching.

4. Thinking seriously about going retro and finally getting into turntables and vinyl. I had a nice conversation with Mike Fremer at the last Hifi show and I think $2K would get me started. Even for a hardcore audiophile like me, it is a bit intimidating. For instance, there are extra cables, real vibration issues, expensive cartridges, etc. Why am I interested, because the vinyl content is getting really good and Classic Records just put out a singles collection of Jimi Hendrix 45s. Wow!

Anyway, that's my two cents (maybe a dollar's worth with this lengthy post)...

Lee

10. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Several reviewers and quite a few members on Audio Asylum find the XA777ES to be inferior to the older 777ES.

11. EricK

EricK Second Unit

For $775 the 555es looks like a steal...if only the XA777es would come down....but how much could it come down? from $2000 to maybe $1300 or $1400...? The 555es still looks good to me.

Eric.

12. Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Sutjahjo Ngaserin Stunt Coordinator

The most versatile player is the Pioneer 733A, or 47A in North American, this plays multichannel SACD, DVD Audio, DVD Video, DVD RW, VCD, CD, etc.... and it should sells for less than US$1K.

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    This is a good point. If Pioneers 47A is reasonably priced and Pioneer does a better job with the SACD section, then we may have a winner in the universal player field.

The current AX10 from Pioneer is expensive and I've heard it on SACDs-yuck! A poor investment given the price.

Lee

14. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I don't get why people get excited over a combo player. Here is my math:

RP-91... great P-scan DVD-A player $500.

555ES... great Redbook player, SACD 2ch & multi ch $800

ICBM.... necessary $250

Total $1550

Pioneer combo $1000

ICBM.... necessary $250

Total $1250

So for a savings of $300 what do you give away?

1. A great progressive play w/aspect ratio control.

2. A great Redbook player.

3. Performance of P-scan DVD/DVD-A/Redbook/SACD (all unknowns at this time)

Show me your math.

15. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I agree whole-heartedly, John, though I might quibble with your choice of DVD-A/prog scan player. If you don't need the scaling functions of the RP-91, the Denon DVD-1600 with the Sage chip might be a good option. Or, if the video quality is good, Panasonic has a model coming out this summer (RP-82) with the Sage chip and DVD-A for $280.
    To play devil's advocate, though, the case for a combo player can be made in terms of cable hell. Two sets of 5.1 cables into a switcher, one set into the ICBM and then into the pre-amp/receiver = *twenty-four* interconnects. [​IMG]
    Ryan

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Course, what hasn't been mentioned is that someone (soundpros.com) is selling it for $750.

It would also mean one less box in the room and have good WAF.

The cable hell for having two boxes is certainly a point, tho I don't know what the cable hell for the Pioneer inside the box would be, and how that would affect quality.

One of the things that holds me off is that I have gotten used to carosel players and I'm not sure that I want to give that up.

That being said, there is enough stuff on both formats that I might need both to be happy.

Jason

17. MichaelGomez

What are they selling for $750? We have mentioned several different players.

18. Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Sutjahjo Ngaserin Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer DV-S733A Progressive Scan (Analog Devices ADV7300 chip, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i ready) Player (DV-47A Elite in US)
    Price in Singapore, about US$550 equivalent
    Multi region, RCE capable.
    Last Memory for up to 4 different DVD for resumption of last dvd playback
    Full video adjustment optimised for CRT, PDP or professional displays.
    Frame Search
    DVD Audio Group playback (only with correct password)
    DVD Video, DVD Audio, Multichannel and Stereo SACD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, Super VCD, VCD, CD and MP3 players
    2 SVideo output
    1 Component Video Ouptup
    1 D1/D2 Output
    composite output
    DTS/DD5.1/MPEG digital audio output.
    5.1 analog audio output
    total Individual speakers, including subwoofer management built in. using Sony CXD1753R chip.
    3 CS4392 chips
    Hi Bit & Legato Pro audio upsampling (up to 4 times)
    VQE7 (PM00331chip) i/p converter, 2-3pull down pure cinema progressive scan
    12bit/108Mhz video DAC
    Video YNR, CNR, MNR, BNR noise reduction
    Fine Video adjustments, including Prog Motion, Pure cinema, Sharpness, white level, black level, gamma level, chorma level, hue, chroma delay
    This player save shelf space, minimum capable connections (not many Amps accepts more than 1 set of 5.1 analogue audio input) problem and state of the art.
    The only way to compare DVD Audio and multi channel SACD without using different machine at the moment!
    Not good value for money?
    Jaw

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer