Which RPTVs downconvert 720p -> 1080i?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimTurtino, Dec 27, 2002.

1. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

I know it's a fairly stupid question, but I can't seem to find answers to this in any sort of generic way (like Sound & Vision Mag's latest chart).

For context-- I'm in the market for an RPTV, and want to buy one to which I can hook up an Xbox/PS2, and play a 720p game. I've generally been able to figure out which TVs will actually display 720p, but finding which will accept it (and convert to 1080i) has been much more difficult. Except for actually reading owner's manuals for each TV on my (still considerable) short list. . . Gack.

Am I missing an obvious source?

Thanks in advance,

Me

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

For starters ... Toshiba upconverts and panasonic does not.

Regards

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Tim,

Why would you want to convert 720p to 1080i?

A set like the Panasonic, which keeps the 720p signal native, would do better for you than one like the Tosh which converts 720p to 1080i.

Jan

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Michael. One more data point for the research notes. [​IMG] And BTW-- your articles on Toshiba 540p upconversion were very cool. Thanks for going to the trouble to get that online.
    Jan-- I agree, but I might end up with a set without the ability to display 720p natively (for instance, the Panny LCDs I've seen don't impress me enough to be worth the extra $$), and so I'd rather it convert the 720p signal than ignore it. [​IMG] It's not a make or break issue, but it'd be a nice extra...
    Honestly, I have not yet been able to compare the difference between 720p, 720p converted to 1080i, and straight 1080i, so I have no real idea how much this matters.
    What about Sony, Hitachi, and JVC? Or do I need to haul out some manuals? [​IMG]
    Me

5. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

yeah i want to know what my sony does. I have the kp-43ht20 and i just bought an xbox so if it sees a 720p signal what will it do. Thanks

6. Gary Mui

Gary Mui Agent

My Sony KP65WV700 converts 720p -> 1080i.

7. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It's harder for a CRT set to do 720p than 1080i as Joe Kane has stated time and time again. The 1080i list of specs most set manufacturers go with are the weaker of the ATSC formats because they are easier and cheaper to implement (they certainly aren't better).

He writes that many times a CRT that can do 720p natively and correctly will also be that much more likely to display 1080i correctly (or close to it) too because the 720p ATSC specs are much more demanding.

Until digital displays and projectors are perfected and can do 1920 x 1080 progressive natively (so far only state-of-the-art 9" CRT front projectors can get close to that ideal), you should look for RPTV sets that can display 720p natively.

Dan