Which RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trev Barton, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Trev Barton

Trev Barton Extra

Hey guys. I don't know much about RPTV and I didn't think I would buy one for another 3 years in which case I would just buy one of the most expensive ones so it would be pretty good. Well I can't wait for 3 years so I figured I would buy a cheap one for now. The only option I have is Panasonic and I know a lot of you guys are not too keen on them but it's my only option right now. So here is the question. Do I get a HD ready set or a regular but bigger RPTV. I can get the PT-51HX40 which is the HD ready set or the PT-61SX30 which is 10 inches bigger and a little bit cheaper. I don't have a progressive scan DVD player or a HD signal, just regular cable and DVD player. Considering I plan on buying a new one in a couple of years I'm not worried about HDTV right now. Which TV will give me the better picture for regular cable and DVD? No I can't compare them because I would have to order one to see it as they are not in the store. http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...sx3061sx30.htm http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...hx4056hx40.htm

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    What's your budget, and can you wait a couple of months? There were many new sets introduced at CES this year, and they should start appearing in the next couple of months. That being the case, there should be some closesouts soon on last year's models.
    The thing about non-HD RPTV's is that they are dirt cheap right now. Just a quick check of the Best Buy ad shows 50-inch Toshiba for $1400 and a 56-inch RCA for $1500...both non-HD, and 4x3. I've seen sets in the 45-50-inch range for under $1000 at Fry's.
    But that is half the price (or more than half) of a good HD-ready set.
    - Steve

3. Trev Barton

Trev Barton Extra

Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to spend more than 2500.00 because this is just a temp TV until I move out of hell and buy a really good one. Where I live I can only get Panasonic but what I need to know is if you get the same picture from a regular DVD player on a RPTV compared to a HD ready TV. Both these TV's have the same lines of resolution so I'm guessing that unless I have a progressive scan DVD player they would give pretty much the same picture. Does anyone know if a HD ready TV has a better picture than a regular RPTV if they are using a normal cable or DVD signal?