Which RPTV has "9" CRTs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I read here how RPTVs with 9 inch guns provide the best picture with the greatest resolution. Can anywho give brands and model numbers?

2. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

All of the 73" Mitsubishi's (WS-73909, WS-73411, WS73711), the 64" Philips (64PH9905, 64PP9751), the 64" Marantz based on the 64PP9751 Philips (PV6480W), and the 64" Zenith (IQB64W10W).

Did I miss any?

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Phillips isn't really known for high quality products. I wonder what some of the ISF calibrators like Gregg L, or Michael TLV thinks. Is there a huge difference in picture quality between TVs with 9" guns and those with smaller ones?

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

6. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Generally, the sets with the 9" crts are only brighter and they need to be given the size of image they are driving.

In terms of resolution, it is not a difference that youcan really see on real life material. YOu might be able to see it on test patterns, and only just.

Regards

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I also had this question a few months back and discovered when you hear statements like: "You need 9" guns to truly resolve HD images" they are talking about FRONT PROJECTORS, not RPTV's.

Think about it: Putting 9" guns in a RPTV means you have 27" inches side-to-side. The gun on one side has to produce light on the near-side and far-side at the same intensity & focus.

But the guns have a fairly short path to the screen. So your side-to-side distance is a LARGE percentage of the direct path distance. This is going to cause problems. So some 'tricks' are done to make the path longer or use things like electronic-focus screens to squish things. But some of these compromise the effect of having the large guns in the first place.

So think about it before you invest in one of these high-end RPTV's. You might actually have a better image with an RPTV with smaller guns.

And frankly, how much true 1080i do you have to watch? Yes, it's coming but..slowly.