What's new

Which RPTV has "9" CRTs? (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I read here how RPTVs with 9 inch guns provide the best picture with the greatest resolution. Can anywho give brands and model numbers?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
All of the 73" Mitsubishi's (WS-73909, WS-73411, WS73711), the 64" Philips (64PH9905, 64PP9751), the 64" Marantz based on the 64PP9751 Philips (PV6480W), and the 64" Zenith (IQB64W10W).

Did I miss any?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Phillips isn't really known for high quality products. I wonder what some of the ISF calibrators like Gregg L, or Michael TLV thinks. Is there a huge difference in picture quality between TVs with 9" guns and those with smaller ones?

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Is there a huge difference in picture quality between TVs with 9" guns and those with smaller ones?
The size of the guns determines (assuming all else equal) how much of the really high definition signal (full 1080i, for instance) is being resolved. The rest of the electronics can have as big an impact on quality as the size of the guns.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Generally, the sets with the 9" crts are only brighter and they need to be given the size of image they are driving.

In terms of resolution, it is not a difference that youcan really see on real life material. YOu might be able to see it on test patterns, and only just.

Regards

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I also had this question a few months back and discovered when you hear statements like: "You need 9" guns to truly resolve HD images" they are talking about FRONT PROJECTORS, not RPTV's.

Think about it: Putting 9" guns in a RPTV means you have 27" inches side-to-side. The gun on one side has to produce light on the near-side and far-side at the same intensity & focus.

But the guns have a fairly short path to the screen. So your side-to-side distance is a LARGE percentage of the direct path distance. This is going to cause problems. So some 'tricks' are done to make the path longer or use things like electronic-focus screens to squish things. But some of these compromise the effect of having the large guns in the first place.

So think about it before you invest in one of these high-end RPTV's. You might actually have a better image with an RPTV with smaller guns.

And frankly, how much true 1080i do you have to watch? Yes, it's coming but..slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks