Which RPG should I play?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, Dec 19, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

It has come to my attention that I have a very large "stack of shame" consisting of unplayed RPGs. I have a couple of weeks with absolutely nothing to do right now, but I'm going to be busy in the future and this is probably the last chance I'll have to revisit older games. I'm only considering the games here. I know that there are other, better RPGs but I have already played them.

Games I own but haven't touched:

Lunar SSSC
    Lunar 2: EB
    Tales of Destiny
    Vagrant Story
    Thousand Arms
    Valkyrie Profile
    Ogre Battle 64
    Beyond the Beyond

Games I have various states of completion in:

Disgaea- played 2 hours, it didn't seem to have a plot worth the insane amount of time I'd have to put in. How is the plot?

Final Fantasy Tactics- About 33% through but got bored with the plot. Does it improve?

Tsugunai Atonement- 25% through but the timed combat got annoying. Does the plot warrant further exploration?

Legend of Mana- Started several saves but never finished them. How good is the latter half of the game?

Suikoden 2- 50% through but I had to quit playing due to time constraints. It's hard to pick up and remember who 100+ characters are.

Persona 2- 33% through, got ass kicked by a boss and didn't feel like leveling. I was somewhat intrigued by the plot although it didn't seem amazing yet. I've seen it compared to Xenogears in some reviews. How good is the rest of the game?

I'm probably going to beat somewhere between 2-4 of these games, depending on length. Which games have the best plots and the least time spent in battles? In terms of plot, I have liked Xenogears, FF7, and FF8 the most.

I'd consider buying Arc the Lad Collection, Arc the Lad TOS, Legend of Dragoon, or Tales of Destiny 2 if any of those games might be more what I'm looking for. I need to get them at some point to finish my collection anyway. Thank you for any recommendations.

2. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

I can't help with your question, but how did you manage to accumulate eight games that you haven't even played yet?

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's exceptionally easy to do. What's the problem?

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'll add to the "easy" comments above. Games just seem to populate despite the knowledge that I don't have enough time to play them all. Think of it this way - we're set for a prolonged series of rainy days.

5. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

No one answered the poor guy's question yet. For shame! Its so easy to stack up games (especially RPGs) and not play them to completion. Heck, I can't even remember the last RPG I finished, let's just say its been awhile. I just got three new games at the beginning of this month, one which I haven't touched, the other two I have barely even glimpsed at, and this just in - SSX3. YIKES!

Now I'm going to give my opinion of each game you listed. Surprisingly I have played most of these and even finished a couple so hopefully this will help some. =) Actually I have played ALL of these. Wow. I'm such a gaming weirdo.

These are the "cream of the crop" here:

Lunar SSSC
    Loved this game, played it til completion. Twice in fact (if you count the original Sega CD version back in the early 90s). The game does have alot of random battles but the story is very engrossing (or so I think). It was the one RPG I picked up and COULDN'T put down. The story is pretty altered from the original release and alot of the fun was comparing the two. Some of the changes are cool some aren't - and doesn't Luna look hot in her... err nevermind.... don't wanna give anything away. Its worth a play through and is easy to get in at under 30 hours. YAY

Lunar 2: EB
    I would play the original first. This one is harder but still sportin' a cool story.... I never did complete it though... kind of missed Nall, Jessica and the gang....and it seems like there was even more random battles. Yesh.

Valkyrie Profile
    This game is... awesome. It takes about two hours to really get into the swing of it but the story is absolutely THE BEST. You play as the Valkyrie Lenneth, who has to recruit warriors to train them for the final battle (Ragnarok). Of course they have to be dead warriors, so you get to see the events leading up to and the deaths of most every major character in the game. There is some "leveling up" that has to be done at one point but the first ten hours plus is a smooth ride worth taking. I loved every minute of it.

Now the rest:

Vagrant Story
    Another good story... but lots of battles. In fact, that's what you spend most of your time doing is battling.

Tales of Destiny
    Its OK, ToD is so much better.

Thousand Arms
    Quirky, hilarious and almost embarrassing to play in front of other people due to its very Japanese nature. This game's attempt at 3d looks like shit now but the rest is tolerable. There's some dating sim stuff thrown in and the main character's party is pretty much a cheerleading squad while he takes on the world single handedly.

Ogre Battle 64
    It was alright. I'd stick with Disgaea which has a much better story IMO.

Beyond the Beyond
    Absolute and utter shite. No redeeming qualities whatsoever, and if the graphics looked bad then I can imagine them now. It was poorly recieved even when there were hardly any RPGs for the PSX. Avoid.

Now questions about the rest:

Disgaea- Hang in there, it gets better. That is if you can stand the leveling up and all the strategic stuffz. I had just put in about 60 hours of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a day or so before giving this baby a test run and just was so worn out from that kind of thing that I couldn't bear to finish this. Its in my "to do" pile.

Final Fantasy Tactics- The plot does NOT improve. The "Engrish" is hilarious and if you aren't enraptured by now.. you probably ain't gonna be.

Tsugunai Atonement- get ready for more and more timed combat because this sucker is hard and requires some major leveling up for a few key boss battles. The ideas in the game are cool but are just executed poorly.

Legend of Mana- I think Legend of Mana is one of the best RPGs out there. The second half of the game is much better than the first as plot points start to finally unravel and come together. Give it another shot, its worth it.

Suikoden 2- Even if you never finish it, I'd hang onto it for now. Its currently worth about $100 on Ebay, which shocked me. I paid $20 for it brand new in 1999 (?). Never really played it much. The military mumbojumbo bored me.

Persona 2- The spreading rumor bit was awesome and the game is worth playing through... its just very, very hard and requires lots of battling. Lots. I don't own this one but wish I did.

Legend of Dragoon- Its like FFVII only not, and with whinier characters. Alot of people hated it. I liked it. Maybe I just didn't mind playing a FFVII "clone" with much better graphics.

Tales of Destiny 2- It slays and kills the original. The battle system is a godsend. Near the end the battles are so quick they are over in 30 seconds or less. You can do 30+ hit combos. Plus it can easily be played without any experience in the first title. YAY! If you can find it, pick it up and give it a chance.

The Arc the Lad games are hit and miss from what I've heard. No I haven't actually played them...the price tag of $70 seemed too steep in the world of next gen games..

Hope this helps, and it has made me realize that I've freakin bought AND played FAR too many RPGs.

6. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

If that's the case, then I'm set for a lifetime, but still have the urge to "buy more" "just one more". I think its some kind of sickness... *lol*

7. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Oh, if it were only 8, I'd be thrilled. I probably have a solid 50 games I still need to beat. I just buy games whenever I see a good deal on them, so they tend to accumulate. I also collect RPGs regardless of whether or not I'll play them so I tend to get a lot. Also, the overall quality of PS2/GC/Xbox games is very high, and it really seems like more good games come out than I have time for. I enjoy pretty much every genre, which compounds the problem.

Thanks for the game impressions Alanna. I think I'm going to play through Legend of Mana and Valkyrie Profile for sure, and maybe pick up Legend of Dragoon for

8. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

I think you will really love Valkyrie Profile if you give it a chance. Some of the stories were so deep and emotional that I was like "whoa" the first time I played it. The only quibble I have with the game is they got the voice actress that does "Ash" on Pokemon for one of the voices and its really weird hearing that piping voice coming out of one of these dead serious characters. My friend kept pointing it out and making fun of it which totally ruined that little 30min blip of story for me. The rest of the game is killer however. In fact it makes me want to crank it up again (forget the fact I haven't finished KOTOR or FFX-2 or FFX for that matter...or Xenosaga..or...shite).

Gawd and you even sound like me. Lord help me if I come in contact with any decent game that is on sale for a good price. I have been hauled kicking and screaming from a store where Devil May Cry 2 was $20...and I didn't even want it that bad. So what if its the holidays, I need presents for myself too you know. LOL

I do buy like 75% of the games I want and never sell any. They become part of "the collection". And I've probably only completed maybe 10% of what I own.

9. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Christ, just go out and get a new game. No point in forcing yourself to play something your not that interested in while something amazing might be waiting for you. If you've played FFX Id suggest going for FFX-2. If not then give Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 a try. You can probably find it for about 10 and its still, to this day, my favorite PS game. That will keep you busy for at least 40 hours minimum. Also, this one is way better than the one for GBA.

10. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

He already has FF Tactics from his post and it bored him. =) I just remember getting stuck on this one level and being really pissed off about it. That was during my rental days. I bought the game when KMart down the street went out of business for like ten bucks but haven't tried to relive my glory days of frustration. I think FFTactics Advance rocks though... its the perfect game to play at work because I can just put the GBA down when I take a phone call without having to pause or anything. YAY.

11. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

My bad. I thought he was talking about Tactics Advance. I figured since Tactics was so old he wasn't playing it.

Alanna - you should definately give it another try. Best strategy game Ive ever played. Frustrating as hell but well worth it.

12. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Legend of Mana has a TON of depth, up front the game seems so simple and trivial. But just how you place stuff on the map has a major effect on what monsters are there as well as obtaining the rarest loot.

It's odd because the plot lines seem so mishy mashy, but most of them come together in the end. And once you beat it you can play it at Nightmere mode, or the even more insane mode. I seem to recall Nightmear makes all the badies lvl 20, and the nameless mode makes them all lvl 99. To even beat a lvl 99 rabit you better have a VERY VERY tweaked out weapon [​IMG]

Vagrant Story is very combat heavy, but it's a cool story, and has some wicked replay value since you can't even explore everything your first time through.

I hold Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Legend of Mana, and Crono Cross dearly as that awsome year of Square games. From May through September had a new Squaresoft game ending with FFVII in Spetember. Ah the good old days ^^ [​IMG]

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Valkyrie Profile is supposed to be a great game, and goes for a good amount of $$ now. Wish I would have picked it up back in the day (fond of Enix games).

I would say Lunar 2 - this was my favorite RPG in ages. Good story, challenging game, excellent port/translation. Still want to get my hands on Lunar 1 complete.

Lunar 2 has battles with bosses require thought and attention (based on Enemy movments, you can and must anticipate and learn their patterns). And the game is auto-balanced to a certain extent to keep things challenging (the last generations of FF games were pathetically easy, and this is from someone that HATES leveling up).

Or go pick up a copy of Dragon Warrior VII, it can be found cheap [​IMG]

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Super Mario RPG for the SNES is the best RPG game I have ever played in my life. Screw all the Final Fantasy games, SMRPG is the best! [​IMG]

15. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

I don't know if your still interested in PS1 games, but along with FF Tactics, you should definately try out Legend of Dragoon. Great story line and graphics and a kick ass combo system which really makes you focus on each and every battle. If you slip on 1 button press then your whole combo goes down the drain. Definately #2 on my list after Tactics.

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I don't know if you have a GC or Xbox, but I would trade in a few of those games if you do and get either Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX), or Zelda Windwaker (GC). Absolutely the very best RPGs I have seen in the last few years.

17. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

AlexanderS: I've been wanting to fire up FFTactics for awhile now but I'm still kinda burnt out on similiar strategic titles judging by my continued disinterest in Disagea (which I was just dying for earlier this year!) It is in my "to do list", along with a million other games unfortunately. I will get around to them though. I'm set for a million rainy days. =)

DaveGTP: If you liked Lunar 2 then you NEED Lunar 1. Its still the most memorable RPG I have ever played. Valkyrie Profile is still worth the cash. It can be found used for in the $30 range I believe - and that's cheaper than what I paid for it when I came out. Was SO excited when I got my greedy paws on that puppy.

Joe Szott: Trading in a game makes me feel ill. The only game in 18 years of gaming that I have traded was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City just recently, and that was only because I bought the XBox double pack the same day I was in the store. I never could understand why someone would want to trade off a video game. To me, they all have memories attached and at one point or another (and it may be ten years down the line) I WILL want to try it again. And where would it be? Gone in a sea of regret. The only one on his list I'd chuck is Beyond the Beyond, the rest are absolute keepers. I do agree that Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR KOTOR KOTOR!!!) is so addictive that it can literally suck away your soul. Its the best "next gen" RPG yet in my most humble of opinions. Zelda Windwaker was alright but left me with an "eh" feeling afterwards. I've never had that reaction to a Zelda game before (hell I played Zelda 3 through more times than I can possibly count) but just the thought of touching Windwaker again makes me want to tear out my hair and run screaming from the building. heh.

And here I'm wondering....am I the ONLY female that frequents the video game forum here??? If so - that's kind of depressing. Don't other chicks care about 720p widescreen??? (my latest obsession LOL)

18. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Apparantely not. If you find another one, let me know.

19. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I've already done most of the newer games, which is why I was asking for suggestions on those particular games.

FFX2- beat it shortly after it came out
    KOTOR- beat it shortly after it came out
    Celda- quit playing in disgust at the monotonous fetch quests and tedious sailing. Beyond Good and Evil is more to my liking since the designers were concerned with making a fun game rather than tacking on unneeded length.

I'm playing Morrowind GOTY right now but that's an ongoing thing from the original Xbox release a long time ago. You really can't ever finish it. I'm also going to snag Arx Fatalis(xbox) on sale since it looks cool.

20. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Has anyone ever played Legend of Dragoon around here. Everytime I bring it up I never get a response on it.