Which Rotel amp configuration should I use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dalton, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Ok here is my situation. I currently have a Rotel RB981([email protected]) and a Parasound HCA 1000([email protected]). I want to step up to 7 channels of external amplification for the switch to separates in the near future. I am looking at 2 scenarios:
    1. Get a Rotel RMB 1075(120x5 THX 8ohms)and pair it with the RB981 for 7 channels of amplification.
    2. Get the Rotel RMB 1066([email protected]) and bridge it to put out [email protected] I would keep the Parasound for the back surrounds and still have 7 channels of amps.

Anyone have any opinions/suggestions as to what setup might yield better results? My speakers are Klipsch Reference series. Thanks for any input.

Dalton

2. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

the 1066 is a great option for the $$, if $$ is an issue I would do that. I run it with my 2 surrounds and it does a great job).

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I would go with the 1075 then you don't have to bridge. There is nothing wrong with having a couple extra channels of power (9.1)[​IMG] . Or use the extra to bi-amp the fronts. (If the Klipsch can be bi-amped)[​IMG]

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Going with the 1066 is the best option at this point, IMHO. Since you have Klipsch you dont need a whole lot of power and so the current draw at lower impedances wont be high and bridging is ideal for this situation. Plus you will be able to use the Parasound for the surround channels.

Best of luck.

6. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Thanks guys. Here is what i was thinking - bridge the 1066 to power the 2 mains and the center channel. Use the RB981 for the side surrounds and the Parasound for the back surrounds. I figure bridgeing the 1066 will keep an all Rotel front 3 and give the most power to those speakers. My other idea will cost me about $400 more and that is to get the 1075 and biamp my mains and power the center with it. Use the RB981 for the side surrounds and the Parasound for the back surrounds. I have bi-amped the mains before and liked the results. Has anyone bridged the 1066 and used it for the front three? Thanks so far for the input guys. I can get the 1075 for $879 at my local Rotel dealer. The 1066 i can get for about $550(is this good?)I still don't know what to do.

7. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Well i took the plunge today. I went to my dealer today to get the RMB 1075. I was approaching the 30 day mark with my Pioneer Elite VSX 45tx receiver. Well since i was getting the 1075 and already had the rb 981 stereo amp, my dealer offered me a combo deal on the RSP 1066 Pre/Pro with the 1075 and i took it. It will be in on Friday. He told me to keep the 45tx until then. I am finally going separates! I am really looking forward to Friday!