1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Robin Hood?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cameron Yee, May 10, 2004.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I just saw the Robin Hood with Uma Thurman as Maid Marian is coming out on DVD tomorrow. I haven't seen this one and am only familiar with the Costner version. Not the biggest fan of the latter. Is the other any better?

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Have you see the classic Errol Flynn version, The Adventures of Robin Hood? It's wonderful.

3. Ray Faiola

Ray Faiola Stunt Coordinator

Ray Faiola
    Please-Please-Please! If you MUST get a ROBIN HOOD DVD, get THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. It is one of the greatest movies ever made, gorgeous color, magnificent music, superb performances, spectacular action.

There IS no other ROBIN HOOD!

4. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Let me first say that, yes, get the Errol Flynn Adventures of Robin Hood. It is the best ever, and the DVD is AWESOME.

That said, the Uman Thurman/Patrick Bergin Robin Hood (made for TNT) was very good. It's well done for a TV film - solidly written with some good performances. WAY better than that Costner POS.

5. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Definitely watch the Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. It's just terrific.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Thanks for the recommendations. Sounds like Flynn's would be worth a purchase and the other worth a rental.

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

IIRC, this was originally planned to be a theatrical release. Not sure why it was downgraded to tv...maybe they just didn't think it would compete with the Costner version.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

If I recall, it was in production at the same time as Costner's film and his version was the first to be released. So I think they decided to sell it to TV instead.

Generally, when two films about the same subject are released close to each other, the first gets the money while the second bombs. I guess they didn't want to take their chances with another Robin Hood film in theaters so soon after Costner's film was such a huge hit.

9. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

The DISNEY version from the early 70s has some charming songs by The Sherman Brothers.

10. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Another version of Robin Hood that easily beats out everything mentioned in this thread (except perhaps Errol Flynn's version) is Douglas Fairbanks 1922 silent version. It's actually a spectacular high budget production with much darker undertones than Flynn's version. You actually see a bit of the torture and murder that is completely glossed over in Flynn's version. It's actually quite astonishing how similar Flynn's later rendition of the character is to that of Fairbanks. Kino has a pretty decent release of Fairbanks "Robin Hood" which is well worth picking up.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"The DISNEY version from the early 70s has some charming songs by The Sherman Brothers."

And some charming animation traced from previous Disney feature films.

"You're all GARBAGEMEN!"
    -- Disney animator Milt Kahl, to his co-workers, after learning of the decision to trace over existing Disney animation during the production of Disney Productions' Robin Hood (1973).

12. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    I have to agree on the Fairbanks disc. As great as the Flynn version is, I just adore Douglas Fairbanks' persona. His version of ROBIN HOOD is excellent, and worth having as well as the 1938 version.

13. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I made a blind buy with THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. Since I love older films and this cast was top notch, it was a no-brainer for me.

ADVENTURES turned out to be a great film, worth all the praise it's ever received. Great performances, and this may be the best I've ever seen Claude Rains.

Highly Recommended!

14. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

According to DVD Empire, the DVD is Widescreen 2.35:1 Color (Anamorphic) and Widescreen 1.66:1 Color.

According to IMDB the film is 1.78:1.

What gives?

15. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Claude Rains' best work, for me, is a toss-up between Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Casablanca. Don't make me decide.

16. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

Watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights. If you know anything about the Robin Hood characters, that movie is comedic gold.

17. JasonDNJ

JasonDNJ Extra

Hey what about the Robin Hood series which was aired on the Showtime network years ago? Jason Connery was one of 2 actors to portray Robin. Excellent cast and music by Clannad. Not available on DVD yet but if you're lucky you can find some on VHS.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Robin Of Sherwood - excellent; it aired on PBS after its Showtime run (at least up in Maine), and was quite fantastic.

19. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Go now and get the wonderful Adventures of Robin Hood. If you're curios, on disc 2 there is a documentary Robin Hood : Through the Ages. This includes clips from the 1922 Allan Dwan film with Fairbanks. This will surely spark some interest in the latter. Fairbanks has writing credits along with many others including Dwan.

20. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    I can't believe the excellent Robin and Marian hasn't been mentioned. Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn star in this tale of a post-prime Robin and an aging Marian. And the new DVD looks stunning from what I understand.