Which remote

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tray, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Tray

Tray Stunt Coordinator

I need a remote to control the following:
    Toishiba 36" CNX81 TV
    Panasonic 5 DVD/CD
    Dish Sat receiver (UH)
    HK 521 receiver
    Panasonic VCR

I would like to be able to program the control with a computer. The goal is to simplify and remove the box on remotes. I want to program it so others can operate the setup and not hose things up. I'm pay what I need to get a good remote but would like to not spend more than needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tray

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

If computer programming of the remote is a must, the Pronto is the most likely candidate (considering price/capability). There is a new version coming out in January that adds a lot of capability (TSU 3000). If you don't like touchscreens, the Mx-700 is a wonderful remote, but waaay overpriced at $500 (IMHO).

Without computer programming capability, and at a cheaper cost, I'd recommend the Mx-500 (hardbutton) or the Sony 3000 (touchscreen). The 500 is a great remote and can be had for around $100. From a price/performance standpoint I don't think the 500 can be beat.

Jim L

3. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

If you don't like touchscreens, want the ability to program on your computer, and want to go ultra cheap, you could get the RatShack 15-2116/7 remote (about $30). It controls 8 components, learns, and may be programmed on the computer with an attachment (which can be made for $10 or purchased for $18); while the programming part is not for the technophobe, there is a myriad enthusiasts which have made excellent tools for programming this and similar remotes. Considered by many devotees the best sub-$100 remote out there. A fun toy if you are into that sort of thing.

4. Tray

Tray Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all who have replied so far. The Pronto is appealing.

How versatile is the programing for the radio shack remote?Where can I find tools for programing the RadioShack remote?

5. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Tray,
    I think I have found one of the best and coolest new under$100 remotes around. It's the Kameleon from Radio Shack. See it HERE
    It costs $60 and is absolutely amazing. Out of the box it controls all of my equipment (see my site for list). It is VERY easy to program. It's future proof because it can be upgraded via the telephone.
    I've tried many different remotes including the older Radio Shack's and they were all to off base when it came to having the buttons match the ones from my original remotes etc so I always returned them.
    It (Kameleon) has so much to offer for the price..I am EXTREMELY happy with mine.
    Worth a try, and if you don't like , just return it.
    Alfer

7. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Pronto TS-1000 for $105 about three weeks ago, so far I love it. It takes a little while to get everything up and runnning perfectly (it was working within an hour but I'm still tweaking little things here and there) but it's definitely worth the time. I really like the fact that I can customize absolutely everything to make it easier for others to use. I always hated trying to expalin to other people that "well, display button brings up the TV display in TV mode but it brings up the channel guide in VCR2 mode (which is really ReplayTV mode) and it will switch the receiver into video 4 if you're in receiver mode....". Now I have a start menu asking what you want to do (watch, listen, play or control) and sub menus that lead you to the exact controls you want (if you hit watch it gives you the option of TV using the TV tuner, TV using the Replay or DVD pick one and it switches the TV and receiver input and brings you to a screen with the controls for that device).

8. Sergey M

Sergey M Stunt Coordinator

Evan, was it eBay or some etailer you got it from at that price? Thanks.