Which release is supposed to be the correct aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by KeithJP, Mar 11, 2005.

1. KeithJP

KeithJP Extra

Several years ago, Anchor Bay (USA) released Hellraiser 1 and 2 at 1.85:1 and enhanced. In 2004, Anchor Bay (UK) released Hellraiser 1 and 2 with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 and enhanced. It would seem logical that since ABUK went out of their way to change the ratio, 1.78 might be more accurate, but distributors do make mistakes. Anyone know details about the change and why?

2. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I dont think that necessarily means the 1.78 transfer is closer to correct. Many 1.85 movies take up the entire 1.78 ratio frame of dvd. Its not possible on many tv sets to tell the difference because of overscan. My display is overscan free and I still have trouble telling the difference.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

1.85:1 is a standard film ratio, 1.78:1 is the ratio for HD television. I would bet that 1.85:1 is the original. But, like Benson said, they are so close that on most 16:9 sets the slight difference would be hidden by overscan.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    The difference is a few scanlines at the top and bottom of the frame. I don't think it's worth pulling out one's hair over.

DJ