What's new

Which release is supposed to be the correct aspect ratio? (1 Viewer)

KeithJP

Grip
Several years ago, Anchor Bay (USA) released Hellraiser 1 and 2 at 1.85:1 and enhanced. In 2004, Anchor Bay (UK) released Hellraiser 1 and 2 with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 and enhanced. It would seem logical that since ABUK went out of their way to change the ratio, 1.78 might be more accurate, but distributors do make mistakes. Anyone know details about the change and why?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I dont think that necessarily means the 1.78 transfer is closer to correct. Many 1.85 movies take up the entire 1.78 ratio frame of dvd. Its not possible on many tv sets to tell the difference because of overscan. My display is overscan free and I still have trouble telling the difference.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
1.85:1 is a standard film ratio, 1.78:1 is the ratio for HD television. I would bet that 1.85:1 is the original. But, like Benson said, they are so close that on most 16:9 sets the slight difference would be hidden by overscan.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The difference is a few scanlines at the top and bottom of the frame. I don't think it's worth pulling out one's hair over.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks