What's new

Which receivers have a good readout describing the digital format? (1 Viewer)

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a new receiver, and I'd like one that has a good readout describing the digital audio format. Specifically, I'd like to see format (DD, PCM, or DTS), and channel configuration (2.0 stereo, 2.0 surround, 4.1, 5.1, 5.1 EX, etc.).

I know Sony receivers have a pretty good read out. Are there any others?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
My Yamaha is pretty straightforward, indicates what format it is, and then has indicators to show what channels its recieveing discretely.

AaronJB

Second Unit
My Panasonic has a nice digital readout of current format (DTS-ES, DD, DTS) and offers which channels are being used. When a DTS-ES title is played, "DTS-ES Matrix" or "DTS-ES Discrete" scrolls across the reciever readout whenever play is hit on the DVD player.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
The Denon 3803 shows format, sampling frequency, number of channels and in the case of DD, whether or not there is a Dialog Normalization offset.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had Yamaha, Sony, and now a Pioneer VSX45TX. All have had pretty comprehensive readouts. The Pioneer will tell which format you're playing and whether DTS-ES is matrix or discrete in nice big letters you can read from across the room, and has indicators for active speakers in any mode. It'll also flash a dialnorm readout when first starting or after pausing a dvd if it's not the normal dialnorm, same as Denon. Does it for my Sat receiver's digital output also (HDNet is in 5.1 with +4 Dialnorm, for example). I can't see the speaker inicators from across the room where I normally sit, but haven't been able to on any other receiver I've owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks