What's new

Which receivers DO NOT exhibit AUDIO DROPOUTS on digital inputs from CD/DVD players? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have a Marantz SR 6200 and I use a Panasonic CV51 DVD changer to play CD's (I also have an older analog 5 disc Sony changer too but my problems are with digitally connected players ONLY).
When a CD is playing and the player goes from track to track, there is no problem. Here is when the DROPOUTS happen for me:
1) First playing a disc after turning on the CV51. The SR 6200 doesn't know what the signal is yet.
2) Changing tracks, forward or back or pressing the track #
3) Changing discs
All of the above cause the first 1/4 second to be missing, resulting is, for instance "aanngg" instead of "BAaanngg".
What receivers DO NOT exhibit this behaviour?? Here are the receivers I am most interested in, in order of importance to me in my shopping hierarchy:
ONKYO TX-DS 797
Denon 2802 and 3802
Yamaha RX-V1200 and 2200
and also maybe;
Integra DTR 6.2, 7.2 or 8.2 ???
I am most interested in the performance of the Onkyo 797. Anyone with experience with other onkyo's please feel free to give feedback (ie 595,696 etc).
I am fed up with my SR 6200. if it didn't have the digital audio dropouts, I'd be happy.
thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Denons are safe bet,from any design or malfunction problems.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the opinion. I'm no longer a gambler though. I want to know FOR SURE which receivers have a reputation for having NO DIGITIAL AUDIO DROPOUTS as I describe above.
thanks for the input

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Chris - my Denon 3802 has no dropout whatsoever. However, I am using a Denon 5 disc DVD changer (DVM 1800) - so maybe that combination is a good one. Generally, drop outs are because the detection circuitry is too slow to recognize the signal coming in. Denon is usually known for their better digital circuitry, including the signal detection. My guess, though, is that Onkyo would be just as good. I don't think Yamaha has these problems either.
Bryan

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Great input guys, har har, if you don't mind the pun :) I am always hesitant to ask for input or feedback here, as it might be taken too literally :)
It is especially noticable when you use the 5 disc player in shuffle. When the player changes discs, it dropsout the next songs first split second of sound! Arrghh! Never happens in analog, of course, cause the players OWN DAC's are always on the ball.
Anyways.....so using a digital connection, you cannot reproduce the problems I describe above and in the first post in this thread?? More reason for me to migrate to Onkyo or Denon eh? How is the sound quality of those puppies in stereo mode? I am a music first kinda person.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 18, 2001 at 12:58 PM]

erikk

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of receivers (I don't know yours) can set inputs to auto detect the type of signal coming in or set it fixed. If its fixed it won't have those audio dropouts you describe. If you can set that on your receiver you should do that.
------------------
Erik K
SV Subwoofers

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I have had no problems with audio dropout while using my Onkyo 898. I am using a wide variety of CDs and DVDs and have never experienced the problem.
- Jeff
------------------
Link Removed

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Ajreed with Jeffrey, I do own the 898 and the DVM-301 disc as my DVD player and the Kenwood 425M as the CD player and not a problem with audio dropout at all. I also owned the 3801 which never exhibited this audio dropout too.
Chris, you seem to be leaning toward the 797 and have you made this decision based upon auditioning it against the Denon 3802 and those Yammies?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I had a Marantz Sr7200 that had dropouts. Just got the Onkyo 797 and NO dropouts. So my answer is the Onkyo 797 :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Yamahas don't have this dropout problem, either.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the opinion. I'm no longer a gambler though. I want to know FOR SURE which receivers have a reputation for having NO DIGITIAL AUDIO DROPOUTS as I describe above.
I have first hand experience with Denon 3600 3300 5700 3801,so it's hardly an opinion.Only the 3600 had "relocking" problem with DD only, never with PCM,and as I said it in the other thread it was a design issue,many receivers and pre/pros exhibited it at the time[circa'97].You can be SURE that all succeeding models[since 3600/5600] are free from any of the problems you describe.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,
Thats cool. I wasn't being a smart ass. If you have that kind of experience to report on, then its all the more useful to me. Thanks. Nobody who has a 797 has reported the same problems some of us are having with our 5200/6200/7200's etc. I'm looking hard at the 797. What receiver do you have again?
I am not auditioning the Yamaha's or Denon's yet. I might consider one of those puppies, but the store I bought the SR 6200 from has Onkyo, so its an easier swap. I don't want to return the receiver for a full refund. Regardless, the ONKYO TX-DS 797 would still be my first choice. I am interested in the Onkyo more than the Yamaha, because you can't adjust the bass from the remote on the Yam 1200 or 2200. I can do that on my 6200 and you can also do it on the onkyo 797 too. I'm not sure about the Denon 2802 or 3802. I also think I will like the bass control on the 797, as it appears to be centered at 50 hz. Along with a treble control centered at 20,000hz. The bass control on the denon appears to be centered at 100 hz. Just a preference. My older Technics amp had a bass control center frequency of 50hz and I really liked how it worked. I'm not sure what the center frequency for my 6200 is, however, it doesn't seem to have as much effect on the sound as the technics bass control. I have no idea why, unless the 6200's bass control is centered too low, like 20 or 30, where there is not so much program material or music/sound content in music tracks.
I will go to the dealer this week and see if the Onkyo receiver there exhibits the same dropout problem as my 6200. From what I gather here, it should not. Once I determine that it does not "drop out", then I will listen for background noise, and as long as it is better, or at least not worse than the 5200/6200/7200's, then I will be satisfied. I will then listen to the receiver and see how i like the sound. Then if I've gotten that far, I have the haggle for a price, because it sounds like the 797 is expensive up here in Canada. I don't want to have to pay almost twice for this 797 receiver compared to what I paid for my 6200.
I might try to have the 6200 "repaired", but I honestly think its a hardware/firmware problem that can't be fixed without changing the way th CPU operates, and that means upgrading the eprom or firmware. When is that going to happen? 2002? I can't wait that long.
Is there any way of making the SR 6200 STAY LOCKED ONTO ITS PRESENT SOURCE MODE? I haven't found a way. If there was, it would solve this problem. As it is, the receiver cuts off the music, but sometimes, when changing discs, the detection circuitry is obviously shut-off and waiting because the LCD "DIGITAL" and "L" & "R" on the receiver goes out until the track starts again, and by then its cut off. Unacceptable.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 18, 2001 at 05:38 PM]

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I have had no such problems with my Yamahas. I've owned the 2092, DSP-A3090 and now a RX-V1. On the 3090 and RX-V1 I used a Sony CD megachanger in shuffle mode a lot without a hitch. And I've never had trouble with DVDs. The RX-V1 handles switches between DTS and DD perfectly everytime, and also has little to no trouble with keeping a lock during a layer change. The only dropouts I've had is with DD on the Dish receiver, and I believe that to be a Dish problem, not a receiver problem.

J

John Morris

Neither my Denon 3801 nor my Sherwood Newcastle R-956 ever dropped out when receiving output from my Pani RP-91 nor my A310.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thats cool about all the replies here. Its nice to have so much information about peoples experience with each player and receiver.
NOTE! The player must be connected with a digital cable. Hence the digital audio dropout problem.
I want to make sure people are not getting the wrong idea about my question and thinking I have dropouts just happening randomly during cd playback from track 1 to 10, playing uninterupted so to speak, but dropping out between tracks. I never have dropouts on a CD ONCE ITS PLAYING, and seldom between tracks, unless I advance, rewiew or go direct via track #. I have dropouts when you first start the CD, and I always press back to hear the track start again. Also I hear it after the player changed discs. Once a CD is playing, I never get dropouts until its finished and I start a new disc. Sometimes, when pressing a track # or advance or go back a track, it'll drop out too.
DIGITAL AUDIO CABLE CONNECTIONS are what I'm asking about.
So far its sounding like an uncommon problem, at least among different receiver brands. It should be. I don't understand how a receiver manufacturer can let a product go out that cuts off the beginning of tracks/songs EVER! I want it all!! From 0:00 onward, not 0:00.5! Maybe they don't think the first split second of a track ever had music? Crazyness!
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 18, 2001 at 08:31 PM]

David_D_C

Agent
My (2nd) SR5200 does the same thing. I really noticed it while playing with the special features on the Shrek disc. It is very annoying. I'm using a Toshiba SD-2700 with the coax output. I'm going to try an optical cable and see what happens. If that doesn't solve it, I'll try some different players.
If I can't get it to work PROPERLY, I probably won't take it back. I don't have the time or patience to deal with the goombas at the store (A&B Sound). It handles layer changes just fine so it doesn't affect anything while watching a movie.
Every piece of Marantz gear I've ever owned has been flawless, until now. I wonder if the previous generation of SR receivers had this problem.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
These Marantz Q/C issues have been one hell of a disappointment for a lot of us. I don't have dropouts with my Toshiba SD1600, but I plan on getting a CD or DVD changer soon and I certainly don't want any surprises when I do.
I purchased the SR-6200 based on the good reputation of the previous generation units. I've now learned that this is far from guaranteed for new products from the same manufacturer.
Get on the ball Marantz - word is spreading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks