What's new

Which Receivers convert S-Video/Composite to Component? (1 Viewer)

Dave^Wein

Grip
So far, I have found:

Yamaha 1400 and 2400
Sony 3000
Denon 3803
Kenwood 5090, 5700, 5900

Any others?

Dave

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I really dont see the need to post 2 threads on essentially the same topic - But as for my opinion - just remember that any receiver that upconverts your signal will not improve its signal. If you're going w/ composite outs on your dvd player and upconverting it to component, it won't improve the picture quality. The signal has already been limited at the source player.

Dave^Wein

Grip
I made a mistake in the title of the 1st post, so I thought I would delete it - but turns out you cannot delete a thread.

I fully understand the concept. In fact, I purposely avoided using the word "upconvert" to discourage "re-educational" posts.

James Barnett

Auditioning
I have found that upconverting my S-Video DBS connection to component through my Denon 3803 degrades the signal.

PeterG

Agent
I have found that upconverting my S-Video DBS connection to component through my Denon 3803 degrades the signal.
And that is so very predictable. I appreciate the jump from S-Video to component is not as large a jump as from composite but a 3D-comb filter in a display device is not a non-trivial expense and normally adds at least a couple of hundred dollars over a 2 line or 3 line digital comb filter (forgetting about the cheap glass filters). For someone (not you) to believe that the upconversion process in a receiver under $1,000 is going to be of high quality is dreaming. It is done cheaply and is merely for convenience for those who are not critical of video quality.

It never sees to amaze me reading of people spending hundreds (let alone thousands) on video cables like Nordost etc and then routing all of this through their receiver.

Peter

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the new Marantz SR7400 does the up-conversion correctly without any signal loss to my eye. then again, our unit has only been on the sales floor for about 3 days, so i haven't had time to fully evaluate this feature.

i know the Integra line (from the DTR-6.4 and up) "converts all video inputs to 480i component," in Integra's words.

the 6.4 and 7400 both MSRP for $999 for those who are shopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks