Which receiver: Yamaha RX-V2400 or Sony STR-DA3000ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GregZicc, Jan 30, 2004.

1. GregZicc

GregZicc Auditioning

I am in the market for a good home theater receiver. I have a small living room 14' by 20'. I will be using Bose Acoustimass 15 speakers (Please no flame) and will be using it for dvd and for music. I am looking for a receiver with alot of power but also clean sound. I know Yamaha makes an excellent receiver but I am not sure on the Sony. I can get the Yamaha for $669.00 and the Sony for $739.00. Which would you get and why?
    Thanks in advance for any advice or info you can give.

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Why spend that much when your gonna use bose speakers (no flame- being serious) might as well get a low end sony,kenwood or pio to power them! your bose dont need a lot of power...nor will they take a lot of power.

BTW..I'm being serious...and trying to be nice [​IMG]

3. GregZicc

GregZicc Auditioning

Thanks for thr reply. The Bose are rated up to 200 watts and I just thought that a better receiver would give better sound quality, or am I wrong? I am by no means an audiophile. BTW, right now I have them hooked up to a Panasonic SA-XR10 receiver.

4. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

GregZicc's speakers aside, I'm also comparing these two receivers and would like to know what ya'll think, especially those of you who have used one or both of them.

5. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

The Panasonic SA-XR10 is more than enough to power your Bose speakers. You will notice no difference in sound quality by buying a new receiver. It takes 10 times the amplifier power to double the sound output. The speakers you are using do not require large amounts of amplifier power. Save your money. If you want better sound quality, use the money to buy better speakers. No flaming intended.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The only issue that comes to mind with the Sony 3000ES is the "noise" issues that people were experiencing. However, from what I've read over at the AVS Forum, this issue has been resolved with a new I.C. and was referenced in a Sony bulletin.

As far as the two go, it really comes down to what is and sounds good to you. On paper, the Sony appears to have a bit more power. Being that I don't like silver gear, the Sony would be crossed off my list.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Those receivers are both overkill for the Bose. However, they will give you more flexibility in the future should you want to upgrade *ahem ahem hint hint*.

Just wondering where you got that the Bose are rated up to 200w. I'm not sure how a small cube like that handles that kind of power.

The answer to that is maybe. Your speakers will, however, ultimately decide what the quality of the sound is. You could put Krell/Levinson stuff with your Bose system if you wanted to, and it probably still wouldn't make as big an impact as getting new speakers for the amp that you already have.

If you want power, unforunately, the Bose won't do it for you. No matter how good the amp is. I'm not quite sure about Paul's math, but the rule of thumb is doubling power yields a 3dB increase in sound pressure level (logarithmic scale). Since you seem to know the power rating of the Bose, do you also know their efficiency?

8. GregZicc

GregZicc Auditioning

Thanks for all the info. The manual that came with the Bose speakers said that it will work with receivers from 10-200 watts, that is where I got the figure. Who knows, I may upgrade my speakers and put the Bose in another room. I decided against the Sony line because I have read alot of negatives against them. So after doing some more research and looking at a few more receivers, I had it narrowed down to:

1. Yamaha RX-V2400 $669.00
    2. Onkyo TX-NR801 $799.00
    3. Denon AVR-3803 $769.00
    4. HK AVR-7200 $799.00

I am pretty set on the Harmon Kardon, unless anyone out there can change my mind. The receiver will be mostly used for music, but some home theater.If the Bose don't do it for me, I will probably end up going with a nice set of Klipsch Reference floorstanding speakers. So what do you think?

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I second the H/K motion. It is an absolute beast loaded with features and power. And it will serve you well when you mate it to the Klipsch References, should you choose to do so.

10. DougM

DougM Auditioning

Theres nothing wrong with those speakers. Don't believe everything you read. I use a similar speaker setup with my Sony DA7ES and so long as I back them up with a decent sub I love em. I didn't think I needed a great reciever as long as I could pipe some dts through the speakers. Very wrong, the reciever will make a huge difference even on those speakers. I go through this alot with a friend of mine and I can tell you EVERYONE thats heard mysetup is in awe!

11. GregZicc

GregZicc Auditioning

Doug M, you are saying that you use Bose speakers also but you added a sub to them. So are you using the Acoustimass sub plus an adduitional sub? I like my Bose, but then again my ear is not trained to say the least.

12. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

The H/K 7200 is a great receiver. I just got mine two weeks ago and I love it. Lots of imputs/outputs and loads of features to customize your setup.
    It is one of the best AVR's on the market for sure in my opinion.
    The only problem I have with it is with the remote. For example if I press the dvd button to control the dvd player it will automatically switch back to controlling the AVR after about 5 or 10 seconds. So if I need to control the dvd player again, I have to press the dvd button again first.

Small problem, but it is very annoying. I like to use the individual remotes anyways so it is not that big of a deal for me.
    And this is the only negative thing that I could think of.

13. GregZicc

GregZicc Auditioning

Hey Brad E, congratulations on the 7200. One of my concerns on it is the power. Do you think that it has plenty of power. I listen to alot of music and I like it loud. What are your thoughts?

14. Michael Brand

GregZ,

The HK 7200 is an excellent choice, especially if you plan on listening to music more than home theater. The 7200 has more power than the other amps you listed,as HK rates their amps more conservatively than others.

I have been researching the HK 7200 vs. the Yamaha RXV-2400, and I am personally leaning towards the Yamaha, but this is due to my listening preference of 80% movies, 20% music. If I was listening to more music like you, I would go with the 7200 too.

15. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The 7200 is PLENTY to drive your Bose. And a whole lot of other speakers on the market. H/K doesn't skimp on their power ratings, and when they say 7x100W, they mean it. This thing will drive your speakers to insane volumes, I guarantee it.

I keep hearing phrases like this time and time again, and it does make me wonder why. Are not movies filled with music? What does the Yamaha have that the H/K doesn't?

16. DougM

DougM Auditioning

I use a jbl version of the Acoustimass and added a different brand (Kenwood) sub. If I turn the sub off its a joke but with the sub it's fantastic. I have a pair of 401's that Ive used for years but my theater is in a small room and I was sick of the size so I went with the small deal. 7 small speakers and a big sub ;-)

17. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Greg, I have the 7200 hooked up to 4 JBL 310II's, a JBL PB12 sub and a JBL EC35.
    I live in a detached house and when I crank it up my neighbor tells me that her pictures and windows start to rattle.
    The effect is very concert like. Vision blurs with deep base. It's insane, there's more power here than I can legally use.
    Movies, on my setup, is an equally enjoyable experience. I have nothing negative to say about it. Rarely am I able to watch a movie with the volume higher than -25dbl, which is very loud. Clarity is top notch.
    Hope that answers your question. Also, if your in the market for floorstanding speakers, make sure you check out the JBL Northridge line. JBL, IMO, makes outstanding speakers.

18. GregZicc

GregZicc Auditioning

I agree, JBL speakers rock. I may look into those also. I have had good luck with them in the past. I ordered the 7200 today and should have it this week. As soon as I get it hooked up I will let everyone know what I think. I believe any of those receivers would have been good, but the HK seems to be the best choice for me.

19. Michael Brand

Some people think that a more natural sounding receiver (Yamaha) sounds better for home theater use, and a warmer sounding receiver (HK, Denon) sounds better with music. The Yamaha 1400/2400's also have DPLIIx and THX.