What's new

Which Receiver?: Yamaha RX-V2400 or Denon 3803 or H/K AVR630 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well Im pretty sure that Im going with the rxv-1400. I really am excited about the YPAO feature. I know I will only use it once or twice(when I get surrounds, sub and center.) The only thing that worries me is on the 2400 you can have video out to zone 2. So I could run video and audio from my DVD downstairs into my bedroom and not have to buy another DVD player or Receiver. I could get some nice inwalls for the bedroom,Zone 2 and Zone 3 could be some nice outdoor speakers for my deck out back. But I can still run audio with the 1400. Well thanks again.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator

When I tested out the HK 525, I thought I would love the multi crossover thing. I ended up HATING it! I don't know if it is different on the HK630, but on the 525 having different crossovers caused double bass issues! I had set my mains to 60Hz, my center to 100Hz and my surrounds to 80Hz. Now what actually happens is the sub takes ALL bass below the highest crossover point (100Hz) on all channels. So the bass below 100Hz on the center channel along with all other channels is produced by the sub. The bass from 60Hz to 100hz is doubled (very muddy sounding) on the mains and the bass from 80-100Hz is doubled on the surrounds. I confirmed with HK support that this is working correctly! Don't make this be your decision maker, its not as good as it sounds!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

Tom_Mack, thanks for this insight! That's very good to know, because the AVR630 has the same crossover as the AVR525.

Based on all the feedback I've gotten here (and on other threads on this forum), I've ranked my choices as follows:
1. Yamaha RX-V1400/RX-V2400/RX-V3300
2. Harman Kardon AVR430/AVR630/7200
3. Denon 3803/4802

I will eventually choose the receiver that sounds best from the receivers I have the opportunity to hear (given limited availability here in Montreal).

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

Shiu, I don't think I'd ever get a Sony AVR, but thanks for the suggestion. At this point, the Yamaha is winning the battle for me!

Ronald C

Auditioning
MuneebM,

Just wondering if you had considered the new Denon 3805, which should be released within the next month or two. From what I have read, it builds upon the 3803 by adding more power, DLPIIx, and host of other high-end features. I believe it is going to retail for around $1200.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

I've always liked Sony products in the past, but most recently their mainstream line of products just don't measure up to their competition. In order to get really good quality Sony products, you have to spend a lot of money, as with the ES line of receivers. The Sony DA5000ES retails for more than $1100 US, and for that price I would much rather get an H/K 7200 or Yamaha 3300 (for much less). My point is, IMO, Sony has very low bang-for-the-buck.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

Jesse, did you buy your receiver today? If so, which one did you decide upon?

I actually got a chance to audition an RX-V1400 against an H/K AVR330. I think the AVR330 is a little lower end than the Yammie, but it was the closest comparison I could get a chance to make. The RX-V2400 was powering a pair of Paradigm Studio 40s, Studio CC 470 and some Paradigm dipole surrounds (5.1 setup), which I think are comparable speakers to my JBL Studio Series set up, despite the fact that the Paradigms are most likely brighter. I watched a few scenes from Gladiator and a few others from Titan A.E. I played around with the Cinema DSP and found it really improved the surround field. I must say that I was very impressed by the overall sound quality and surround field: it was loud yet very clean, very crisp (bright-to-neutral), and the surround field was amazing, great imaging! When I heard the last few scenes of Titan A.E., I immediately made up my mind that I was going to buy the Yamaha! Nevertheless, I gave the H/K AVR330 an audition, unfortunately not on the same speakers: it was powering Paradigm Monitor 7s, CC-370, and the same dipolars used on the Yamaha. The H/K also sounded very good, but there was just something lacking: compared to the Yamaha, the sound seemed muddy and surround field was not as broad, i.e. the sound seemed very centralized. Now, I'm not dismissing the fact that this most likely was due to the lower quality speakers the H/K was powering, but I really liked the sound quality of the Yamaha and I think even the H/K AVR630 would have a hard time impressing me more than the Yamaha did.

I bargained the price of the Yamaha RX-V2400 down to $1120 CDN, which I think is a very good price for a Montreal retailer considering it would cost just $80-100 CDN less to order the receiver from Etronics, and Yamaha wouldn't give me a warranty if I did that. I didn't pick it up yet because I was gonna shop around and try to get a lower price elsewhere, and I also think I'm gonna try to audition the Denon 3803 in the next couple of days.

Thanks to all for their help, this thread has been extremely helpful. Once I pick up, install, and REF calibrate the Yamaha with my JBL Studios by next week, I will post my findings here in the hope of helping someone else trying to decide on a receiver.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Well, I made the leap and bought the Yamaha RX-V2400 after a few more auditions. I paid $1120 CDN (plus taxes), which I think is a great price.

First impression on my JBL S310IIs: man does this receiver have some power! And the sound is very crisp and clean, or as others may say "bright".

I don't have all my JBL speakers yet, but once I have them (picking them up within the next couple of days), place them, re-wire them all with 12 gauge, calibrate the system, I'll then post results on how the Yammie sounds with the JBL Studio Series.

Bertrand-R

Agent
Hello MuneebM, i live in Sherbrooke and i was just wondering where did you get that good price?
I look for a RX-V1400 and the best price i found was in Ottawa at for $1156.67.(tax and shipping inclued)
Thanks
Bertrand

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

Wow, a fellow Quebecer on this forum!!!

Bertrand, I went to many places to find a good deal on the Yamaha RX-V2400. I bargained a lot, and even got asked to leave at Audio Centre because I proposed $1050 and they were not willing to go lower than their $1300 sale price. DO NOT GO THERE! Customer Service is horrible at Audio Centre and their home theater room set ups are crap!

I eventually went to La Centrale in Lachine and was treated very well. The best price they could offer me was $1120 and that was the lowest they could go. I went there on Saturday and didn't purchase the receiver right away. I continued to shop on Sunday and went to Stereo Plus in St-Eustache. I told them La Centrale was ready to sell it to me for $1120 and they couldn't believe it, and said they could give me the RX-V1400 for that price but not the 2400! After more bargaining and talking to the owner of the store, they let me have it for $1120 (with taxes it came up to $1288.28). This is a very good price for the RX-V2400 because it retails around here for $1500-1600.

Go to Stereo Plus (217, rue Hémond, St-Eustache, 450.491.5222) and talk to Gabriel or Fred (tell them I sent you). Or go to La Centrale (350 des Erables, Lachine, 514.364.4980) and talk to Joe La Rosa. Both those places have very good service: Stereo Plus has the RX-V2400 connected to Paradigm Monitors, La Centrale has the RX-V1400 connected to Paradigm Studios if you plan to audition the receivers.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

Oh, and by the way Bertrand, if you're getting the 1400 for $1156.67 (tax in), I think its worth it to spend the extra $131.61 ($1288.28 tax in) for the 2400, which packs 10 watts more per channel and has the RS232 port.

Also, where are you getting this deal in Ottawa? Remember that if you do not buy the receiver from an authorized Yamaha reseller, Yamaha Canada will not give you the 2 years manufacturer's warranty. Both La Centrale and Stereo Plus are authorized Yamaha resellers, referred to me by Yamaha customer service themselves.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Luitz, thanks for the link. I read this before purchasing the RX-V2400, and I agree with the score that that review gives it. It is an excellent receiver, and I think its the best value in Canada, since up here Onkyo, Integra, Denon, and Harman Kardon are very over-priced. A receiver equivalent to the RX-V2400 would've costed me $300-500 CDN more than what I paid for the Yammie, e.g. the H/K AVR430 retails for $1500, and a fair comparison would only be the AVR525 or AVR630.

Bertrand-R

Agent
MuneebM,
The place in Ottawa is an authorized Yamaha reseller and is price for the 1400 is $1050 plus $31 shipping plus TPS,
there is no TVQ there. I will ask them for a price on the 2400 and i will post it to you .
Thanks for the two adress you gave to me, it will be usefull.
And yes it's nice to see fellow Quebecer here.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
I would put the Denon 3805 (due out march) on my shorlist. The new Denon 3805 does have a higher power rating than the 3803, but the real kicker is it now has Denon-link to pass DVD-A digitally and should allow for SACD as well in the near future (firmware). THe new Denon also has a room auto calibration feature. The 3805 has yet to be tested/reviewed, but on paper it looks good.

Also check into the Pioneer 53tx and 55txi. The Pioneers have very good power supplies for this price range and have nearly linear power output from 2 to 5 channels (rare!!), of course has a room calibration feature, MCACC.

The others you mentioned are no slouch either, you should try to give them a listen (sorry if this is passe).

Bertrand-R

Agent
MuneebM,
Audioshop in Ottawa sell the RX-V2400 for the same price you bought it, without bargaining. $1289 including one tax and shipping. That's were i'm going to buy a RX-V1400
I hope you are happy with your RX-V2400.

;)
Bert

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

Good stuff, I'm glad you can get a good deal! Why did you opt for the 1400 instead of the 2400?

Yes, I am very happy with the 2400, I think its the best part of my HT right now! I am even more happy since I stopped by a local Dumoulin and discovered that they are selling the Denon 3803 for $2200 CDN! I paid half of that for the RX-V2400 and it has more features than the Denon! Denon and Harman Kardon products are extremely overpriced here in Canada, so I'm glad I got the superior Yamaha for a much better and much more reasonable price!

Shiu

Second Unit

I know of at least one authorized dealer in Toronto selling the 3803 for $1600 a few months ago, so I don't think Denon is too overpriced in every province. You certainly made an excellent choice in paying less than $1300 for the RX-V2400. I paid slighly less for my Sony DA4ES, the Yamaha is most likely a better choice for music listening.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
That price is strange when I've found it in the states for $6670=890CAN-so why the $400 markup?

I'm just curious, it's a fine reciever and well worth 1g+

rogo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks