Which Receiver with Budget Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Greca, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

Last question, I PROMISE!
    I've narrowed my choices for speakers down... Its either going to be the JBL NSP1 or Energy Take 5.2
    I really wanted to go with some nice Paradigms, especially since I need dipoles for surrounds, but I really can't swing it on a college (jobless) budget.
    Again, this is the room we're workin with:
    http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dokden1...epage/room.jpg
    Now the question: For a receiver, should I go with the Denon 1802 or the 2802? If I get the 2802, I'm only getting it for the DTS ES. But will I even notice the 6.1 in this room? Would it sound good or just be odd and distracting?
    Oh and also, if you guys do recommend the 6.1 setup, do I use two bookshelfs for the back speaker or a second center channel? That always confused me...?
    Again, thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Well if you can swing it, go for the 2802. That unit will be able to make it out of your small living space now to a larger one in the future. And yes, you can have the rear channel in that space. That is how large my living room was when I was at UT Austin.

Also I would go with the JBL's, if that was my choice. I just thought they were more full in overall sound. This system sounds like it is more movies than music, so the JBL nsp series gets my vote.

Go with the center for the rear. Since 6.1 is what you are looking for.

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Joe, seems like you can do a lot with your jobless budget. I wonder what it will be like with a job budget? Top of the line seperates maybe? (he-he)

4. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

Trey: Yes, this setup is going to be about 90% movies. I too am leading toward the JBLs, but I'm going to give both speakers another listen before I decide... I've just heard some bad things about 6.1 being "too much" in small places.
    Nick: I didn't mean to sound like a spoiled snot, I just have some money coming my way, and although most of it has to go for college, I've decided to use just a little bit for a much needed HT upgrade. [​IMG]