Which receiver to use as a pre/pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeanChat, Jun 17, 2002.

1. DeanChat

DeanChat Auditioning

Greetings,

I have decided to go with a receiver as a pre/pro and separate amplification (Sherbourn). My speakers are Totems (a tough load at 4 ohms and 86db) and need a high current amp to make them sing. The system will be used as a 50/50 music/HT system.

So, what is a good receiver to use as a pre-pro? I need multi-channnel input for my SACD player, DPL2, DD and DTS (preferably ES/EX). If I go to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup I would probably try to use the receiver to power extra speakers (at least initially). I will probably get an Outlaw ICBM for bass management and crossover settings. I have been looking at H/K AVR320, Denon 2802 (or 3802), Marantz, and Yamaha. I want good sound but I do not want to pay extra for better amplification that I won't be using (for example, the H/K 520 is almost identical to 320 but with more power). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dean

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Why use a receiver? The Outlaw 950 would seem to be exactly what you're looking for. [​IMG]

3. DannyM

DannyM Auditioning

If you can do without the ex-tra channels, take a look at the Marantz SR-8000. With the copper shielding you'll have an excellant pre pro. Very quiet! You can find it at various places for as little as $650.00 since it is a discontinued item. The RC2000 Mk II remote is a serious plus also. You can always upgrade later and have an excellant receiver for a second system.

4. DeanChat

DeanChat Auditioning

Why am I looking at a receiver and not a dedicated pre/pro?

- I want a tuner (most pre/pros don't have one).
    - A receiver will have some use down the road (tunes for the garage?)
    - The receivers seem to be getting the latest DD/DTS/DSP modes well in advance of dedicated pre/pros.
    - With a receiver I can use the built-in amps to try out 6.1 or 7.1 without needing to buy another power amp.

I would seriously look at the Outlaw 950 if the wait list wasn't so long.

Thanks!
    Dean

5. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I use the AVR 320 as a pre, and I love the way it works. I have found it to be absolutely silent, and I love the Logic 7.

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Same here. I've used the 310 & 510 both. If the receiver is decent to begin with it works out well.

7. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I use the Denon 3802 as a pre-pro.Has all the latest bells and it works great.

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'll 2nd the 3802

9. Tung Enkhych

Tung Enkhych Extra

Most rcvr mnfgrs don't put more than a nickels worth of quality into the pre-outs of their rcvrs (o.k., a slight exaggeration) ,while I am a firm believer in additional current gained from seperate amps, I am not satisfied with the low quality pre-out stages of Japanese rcvrs when it comes to the coloring of music in comparison to a QUALITY pre-amp. These mnfgrs know that probably less than 5% of the consumer market will use these pre-outs and that while having pre-outs as a "feature" makes the unit more attractive ,the end user who is buying one to use that way is more concerned(ussually) with saving money than with sound quality
    my $.02

10. DeanChat

DeanChat Auditioning

I agree that a mid-level receiver's preamp section will not match a dedicated pre-pro like those from B&K, Sunfire, Sonic Frontiers, etc. etc. However, many reviews (both professional and user) indicate that some of the AV receivers do a pretty good job as a pre-pro. Many people are not willing to spend $2K - $4K on something that will be condidered "obsolete" in a year. When the rate of change of surround modes slows a little more (it is already slowing somewhat), or a truly upgradeable processor becomes available, then I will drop the extra cash.

-Dean

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. DeanChat

DeanChat Auditioning

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The only problem I see with you saying that you'd like to use the receivers amps to try out 6.1 is that there's only a few receivers out there that will let you remap internal maps for use as rears and only a few offer more then 5 internal channels in which case you'd end up using your sherbourne to power the rears which would be a waste. Personally i'd rather see you buy a Rotel 1066 pre amp and look at used amps to keep the cost similar to some of the better receiver/sherborn combo you're looking at now.

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I remember my old Onkyo 919 had the pre-outs and main-ins of the preamp and power amp sections jumpered on the back of the unit. I never set up my ICBM in this loop but I should have. [​IMG] Heck, I even could have used it as a 5 channel power amp with an external pre/pro if I wanted to (I seriously considered this as the amplifiers in the 919 are awesome). Now that's the way to implement an upgradable receiver. I believe the 989 still is made this way.
    And 5.1 is fine. I remember "back in the day" I only could afford ProLogic, even as my collection of LaserDiscs with AC-3 tracks grew and grew. I just continued to enjoy the fantastic sounding ProLogic of LaserDisc PCM and didn't really worry much about the 5.1 tracks I was "missing". I have the same attitude about the current situation.
    BTW I think 5.1 is not going anywhere.

15. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

16. flenn

flenn Agent

The Sony DA5ES fulfills all of your requirements. Plus, it offers extremely flexible bass management. You may not need the ICBM.

17. DeanChat

DeanChat Auditioning

I wasn't really aware of the 5ES until seeing flenn's post (above). I looked into it and it looks like it would make a darn good pre-pro. I have seen some talk of a subwoofer level "bug" though I can't really sort out what the problem is that people are talking about because I am not familiar with all the setup issues. (I am replacing an 11 yr old Pro-Logic system - not much setup with that). Does anyone have any idea what this sub level problem is?

thanks,
    Dean

18. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Dean-

My DA5ES does NOT have problems when it comes to BASS output. The mentioned problem was regarding DIRECT AUDIO (DVD-A) connection. Apparently, the NEWER versions V1.4 supposedly is problem free.

Good Luck

19. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

I am expecting delivery of a da5es sometime today! Having no conveniant way to audition either, I chose it over the 3802 because I thought it would make the better pre/pro later. While the amps in the Denon are probably better, I was drawn to the adjustable xover for each channel, eq, more inputs, better video switching, and longer warranty on the Sony. Plus, I'm sure that either of them is going to be WAY better than the crapper I have now. (Now where the hell is the UPS guy? I just hope the unit isn't destroyed when it gets here.)

20. Jon W (NoVA)

Jon W (NoVA) Stunt Coordinator

I'm not convinced there's a bass problem with any version of the DA5. The .1 track is recorded at -10dB on Dolby tracks. The processor is supposed to boost it +10db to compensate.

My guess is that the DVD player being used failed to apply the boost for some reason or another.