Which receiver to buy? I have several options....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jay_Kr, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Jay_Kr

Jay_Kr Auditioning

Went window shopping today, and came away with a few options:

(BTW - I've read several other threads which discussed one or more of these models and their relative merits, but I figured I could solicit opinions again!)

Yamaha
    HTR-5890 $699.99 @ Best Buy
    HTR-5990 $999.99 @ Best Buy
    RX-V2500 $799.95 @ Ultimate Electronics

Pioneer
    VSX-1015 TX $499.99 @ Best Buy
    VSX-54 TX (forgot to write down price)

Denon
    AVR-3805 $899.99 @ Ultimate Electronics

So...I'm gonna let you guys spend my money for me, what do you think? I know there's already one vote for the Yammy 5890 from John S

2. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I am looking at some of the same recievers myself. I would personally scratch the 54 TX off the list and add the Outlaw 1070. I also think the Emotiva Ultra-Lite LMC-1 + LPA-1 Combo sounds interesting. It really comes down to your needs though. I like the outlaw because it has everything I need but lacks all the extra stuff I will never use. That said, I still haven't been able to decide myself. Out of your list I would probably lean toward the RX-V2500. Part of that decision is that I cannot stand cluttered front panels. Yammies are nice.

3. Jay_Kr

Jay_Kr Auditioning

bump

I'm going out to buy it today. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V2500, but I could be persuaded otherwise. Any other opinions?

4. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

Consider the newer Denon 3806. You can pick one up for under a grand from authorized dealers.
    I want to add that I have owned and been a happy Yamaha owner for many years. I had a 995 and then an RX-V2095. In fact I still have my 2095 but it has been moved to my bedroom. While I really like the Yamaha sound, it just seemed to be missing something. Never could put my finger on it. I have owned several iterations of speakers, everything from Infinity, to Axiom, to Dunlavy, now to Triangle. But while it was a great receiver, I just don't know. Both of them just didn't seem dynamic enough when used for HT and played loud. So I moved to B&K. End of problem. The AVR 307 just poured out power and I much prefered the sound. Recently B&K informed me that they would not be offering an upgrade to the 507 S2 to us 307 owners. As I wanted PL2x I just purchased, on someone's reccomendation, a Denon 3806. Sounds incredible. Very hard to hear the difference in sound between my B&K and the Denon. Has lots of power, and all the features that I need. If I need to expand someday, I will simply move to a seperate amp and use the Denon as a pre/pro. Anyhow, you should at least consider it.

5. Jay_Kr

Jay_Kr Auditioning

Just to let everyone know, I went with the Yamaha RX-V2500. So far I'm very happy with it, no complaints whatsoever. I'm not even close to figuring out everything that can be done with it, but the first test, which was watching the film "Collateral", went very well.

My setup as it exists right now:

Yamaha RX-V2500
    Infinity Beta 50 x2
    Infinity C360 center channel
    Infinity PS12 subwoofer

The surround speakers will be either a pair of Infinity Primus 150's, or a pair of Yamaha NS-7390's.

Hopefully this setup will last me for many years.

6. lee ison

lee ison Stunt Coordinator

Personally ,I would try my best to timbre match the surrounds to the infinities, check with dealer you got the fronts from, he can recommend an appropiate model. with the yamahas it could be a hit or miss,if it misses you are not going to be happy.

7. John S

John S Producer

I have been dealing with the 5890 a lot. Maybe the most bang for buck out there right now, as far as I am concerned.

8. Rod Martin

Rod Martin Stunt Coordinator

Rod
    Okay, I think I am finally close to making a purchase.

I'm strongly leading toward the Denon AVR-2807.

This will be my setup until I can replace out my speakers, and maybe get an HDTV LCD monitor. Please tell me if you see anything that might cause issues or problems...

Denon AVR-2807
    inFocus Screenplay 4805 projector
    Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player
    Energy Take 2 speakers
    MacBook Pro (for feeding downloaded video, DVD, etc.)
    Charter Communications HD cable box

So here's how I'm seeing it all set up...

SD-3109, component to 2807
    MacBook Pro, DVI to HDMI adapter to 2807
    Charter HD cable box (don't have yet, unknown) to 2807
    2807, HDMI to DVI adapter to 4805

Looking at the manual, I really can't tell if the 4805 will be able to display the OSD from the 2807, so that's one big question I have. Are there any other pitfalls you are seeing with this setup?

Most appreciated!
    Rod