Which receiver should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, Mar 19, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Here is what I'm looking into

6.1 Diva Swan setup 6.1/R3/C3

Tosh65HX81

Right now I have the older Onyko575(3 years old) should I keep this or upgrade it to a better receiver? I have no idea what receivers are capable of these days. I'll probably go to about $700 so any suggestions welcome.

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

If you like your Onkyo and don't mind waiting about a month,the new 600 should be in your range.Check out Onkyo's website for details.

Wayner

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

with a 3yr old receiver you're probably missing most of the newest formats. Take a look at the harman kardon avr-520. You can get it for around $650 online. Has 7.1 capability, DTS-ES, Dolby PLII, and Logic 7. It also has amp inputs as well as pre-outs so that the amplifier section of the receiver can be used like a 5-channel seperate power amp, making it very flexible should you choose to add an external power amp later on.

4. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

You might also want to look at the Denon 2802. I am in the works of upgrading my receiver as well.

5. RichardG

RichardG Auditioning

JM,

With the current speakers you have right now, the Onkyo is plenty good enough. If you had more speakers that could utilize the 6.1 or 7.1 then I would recommend an upgrade.