Which receiver should I get?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JuanA, Feb 18, 2006.

1. JuanA

JuanA Auditioning

I'm putting together a home theater, and I can't decide between the Pioneer VSX-72TXV and the JVC RX-D702. I like the HDMI upconvert to 480p that the JVC has, as the TV I am getting cannot play 480i signals. However, I really like the auto setting feature of the Pioneer 72. The inputs I am plugging into the receiver will be:
    Component from Xbox 360
    S Video from PC
    Component from DVD Player
    Component OR DVI from Comcast cable box/DVR

I have heard that since all of these inputs are analog, I would have better pictures simply upconverting to component. However, I expect that Comcast will soon be putting out boxes that have HDMI. So, please give me advice.

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Unless you're really intent on doing video switching I wouldn't put the upconvert in the receiver as a very important item. And with that list of inputs you should be able to connect everything to the TV and let it take care of things.

3. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

Well the JVC has only 2 component inputs so it looks like that aint going to work.

If your thinking of using the DVI on the cable box to the HDMI connection on the Pioneer.. forget it.

Problems with Motorola cable boxes & HDCP are well documented and odds are youll get no picture.

If your willing to spend that sort of cash on the Pioneer I would go with the Denon 3806 instead.

At least youll get 3 component inputs to tide you over AND HDMI switching plus the raft of other features like analog to HDMI conversion, XM and Audyssey MultiEq.

Sure the Denon manual is crappy and it takes a while to set up correctly.
    But isnt that half the fun ?

[​IMG]

4. JuanA

JuanA Auditioning

The pioneer seems to have all the features of the Denon, and I can get it for about $200 less. And the TV that I'm getting has only 2 component inputs, so I have to run it through a receiver. Will I lose that much PQ if I just run a component cable to the TV from the receiver?

5. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

In around the same price range, I would take a serious look at the Yamaha RX-V2600. I'll let you refer to Yamaha's website for a list of features for comparison purposes, but among them you get upscaling onto HDMI up to 1080i/720p.

I saw this feature demonstrated on a front projector with Revenge of the Sith DVD and I have to tell you, I was blown away! the picture was clearly in the HD realm and wailed on everything I'd seen up to that point, including the movie theater.

Good Luck.

Shane Harger
    Yamanashi prefecture, Japan

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    If you are talking about a standard Pioneer vs Denon then I would choose the Denon hands down. The Pioneer Elite is a very nice peice however. I personally prefer the Denon and like the processing better than the standard Pioneer. The Yamaha is nice as well and you may want to consider that as well.

What is your budget?

These are some of my recomendations,

Denon AVR-3806: 7.1 CH Home Theater A/V Surround Receiver
    MSRP $1,299.00

Denon AVR-4806: THX® Ultra2 7.1 CH Reference A/V Surround Receiver MSRP $3,500.00

Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV THX Select 2 A/V Receiver Suggested Price: $1,200.00

Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi THX Select 2 A/V Receiver Suggested Price: $1,500.00

Yamaha RX-V4600 7.1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver MSRP $1,399.95

Yamaha RX-V2600 7.1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver MSRP $1899.95

Marantz ZR6001SP 7.1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver
    MSRP $1299.99

Those would be the only brand I would recomend

7. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

That's the other way around, actually. The 2600 is the lower priced model.

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    mmmm information was taken from Yahamas web site. Unless I got the prices switched around :b if so my bad :b