Which Receiver? Pioneer/Onkyo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulShady, Sep 12, 2001.

1. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

First off let me say Hi to all the members and thanks to Ronald and Parker for granting me access to your Great Forum!
    I am new to the HTS and will be purchasing one very soon.
    At Receiver: The Pioneer VSX-D850S or the Onkyo TX-DS595
    Front Speakers: Polk R40 Towers OR Sony SSM-F600H
    Rear Speakers: Polk R10 OR SSM-B300H
    Center Channel: Polk CS175i or CS245i OR ??? Bose/Sony?
    Subwoofer: Polk PSW250 OR Sony SA-WM40
    DVD/CD: JVC XV-S60BK
    One concern is money. I want to stay under $1500. I in the neighborhood of $1300 now, so I don't have much room to play. I also would like to know what else I would need to buy, ie. speaker wire, hook-ups....? And please recommend where I should shop!
    Thanks, [​IMG]
    Paul
    [Edited last by PaulShady on September 13, 2001 at 08:23 AM]

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Paul,
    Welcome to HTF!
    Do you already have the CD/DVD player or will you need to purchase that as well?
    Assuming you have it:
    Denon AVR-1802 - $400 (www.crazyeddie.com)
    Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package w/HSU VTF-2 sub - $1,100
    or
    HTD Level III mains, center, and surrounds - $767
    Adire Audio Rava - $400
    Onkyo TX-DS494 - $300 (www.jandr.com)
    or
    Outlaw 1050 - $429 + shipping for a B stock unit
    nOrh 4.0 package - $850
    Sony SA-WM40 - $150
    IMO those options offer the best bang for your buck. The Denon and Outlaw both have pre-outs if you would like to go to separates later on. The Denon also has DPL II whereas the Outlaw doesn't. However, you can add an additional speaker for 6.1 sound with the Outlaw and it has pre-outs for all channels.
    What else will you need? Speaker cable. Get 12 guage from either Home Depot or Radio Shack. Banana plugs are convenient to have but only if you plan on moving your speakers or will be plugging and unplugging quite a bit. You can use bare wire connections for the speakers and that will be fine. Make sure you have wire cutters readily available. Radio Shack analog sound meter for speaker calibration. Try to borrow one from a friend if at all possible. Calibration DVD for said system. Avia and Video Essentials are among the best out there.
    Whatever you do make sure your front three speakers are timbre matched. Ideally they should be the same. Definately avoid the Bose center. Good luck!

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Out of the choices you listed...
    Onkyo 595, RT40, RT10, CS245i, and Sony Sub (Polk subs have a unique sound I don't like)
    Now, while browing my Fall/Winter Crutchfield catalog, all speakers (minus the sub) would run you $750 leaving $550-$750. Welp, the 595 new is reportedly as cheap as $360! Now you're left w/ about $200-$400. Taking cables and shipping into consideration, you're essentially down to $250. After the DVD player, your down to 0. Now you need a sub...
    Two options: 1) Increase your budget and buy the rest or more preferably 2) Get two pairs of RT10s thus leaving about $350 net for a sub. With that $350, you can find a nice, big, powerful used Velodyne on ebay or pick up the Adire Rava I hear so much about.
    There are many other options too (i.e. different brands), so I'll let others handle that. Just remember, if you can get a nice 12"+ sub to go with 5 smaller speakers, you're in business.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Site
    Equipment List
    The Dorm Room Theater

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Anyone have any experiece with the B-Stock outlaw's? I'm looking for a receiver for the bedroom and am considering these. I like the newer features of the Denon 2802 and Onkyo 595, but I have to admit I've always wanted the 1050.
    Have people had pretty good luck with the B-stocks? I looked around the web site and didn't see anything. I assume you have to call for availability.
    Aaron

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i would go with the onkyo/polk combo. i should mention those are the same brands in my system, but from a (as much as possible) objective pov, i think they are the best performers.
    for speaker wire i use monster 12g. for interconnects i use radio-shack gold. both are reasonably priced...especially the rat-shack stuff. i think you'd probably do fine with 12g from home-depot. just make sure you don't use anything thinner if you can help it.
    welcome to our world...
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    595 is a good choice.
    Rather than the R10, I would suggest the RT15i for the rear. Better speaker overall, and a better match for the R40.
    CS175 is the matching center for the R40.
    Since you are going with a sub, there is no real reason to go with floor standing speakers (personal preference). There's no good reason to overlap the low frequency capability of the sub. I would say go with some bookshelf units and stands. The RT35i is a little less than the R40 and will perform very well, while the RT25i is a few $$ less and would do the trick also.
    However, Paradigm has comparable speakers for even less money...(Titan ~$200, comparable to RT35i), though they cannot be purchased online.
    Paradigm
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on September 13, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

7. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Wow guys, Thanks for ALL the advice! I really appreciate it. And the quick responses are fantastic! Answered alot of questions.
    Now I'll add a little more, which probably would have helped in the first place. [​IMG]
    I have a 60" Hitachi Ultravision about 3 years old now. I have a HUGE entertainment center that has 2 30 inch cabinets on the sides, a bridge and top connecting those cabinets that all surround the Television. So I was "thinking" that the towers would be higher and "more level" with the center channel speaker, that will sit ontop of the TV.
    My wife and I are in the process of building a new house, and I want to run the wire for the speakers now obviously. She would prefer the tower speakers as opposed to two speakers on stands along side the entertainment center. (Thats why I was leaning towards the R40's over the RT25i's.) She also prefers not to have the speakers mounted on the new walls. (If I can help it). Rear speaker stands behind the couch are fine.
    Sooooooo, i was thinking that i could spend the 100 bucks on tower speakers instead of stands. But, I know just about nothing when it comes to this stuff, thats why I'm asking the pros!
    Now ya know!
    But, if the RT25 or 35's are that much better than the R40's, I would like to go that way for the front. And I was going with the CS245, because I just "thought" that was a better speaker, even though the CS175 is the recommended one. ?? (Please see above paragraph!) [​IMG]
    Oh and the DVD/CD: I just wanted one that was mp3, cdr, cdrw, compatable. and for about $200, that one looked nice. But I won't be able to take advantage of the progressive scan because my tv is not hdtv right?
    Boy, I have a lot to learn. Thanks for being so patient with me!
    [Edited last by PaulShady on September 13, 2001 at 10:51 PM]

8. John Garcia

John
    The R40s have different tweeters from all Polk's other floor standers, which is the same tweeter that is in the CS175, and that is why it is the recommended match for the R40s. Technically, the CS245 IS a better speaker. Though the 175 has slightly better bass extension, it uses a single midrange, while the 245 uses an MTM (mid-tweeter-mid) arrangement that will give you a wider center stage.
    I haven't acutally heard the R40s, but I have demoed the RT35 and RT25, and they sound very nice. I would expect the R40s are just fine also, the difference again, being the tweeter. The R40 uses a soft dome, as do the CS175, R10 and RT15. I believe all the other models (floor and bookshelf) use the trilaminate tweeter, which I am assuming is a metal/composite tweeter. In order to have well matched sound (timbre matched), you will want the same tweeter type on all of your speakers.
    Are the cabinets on either side open or closed? Could you dedicate a space for a pair of bookshelf speakers inside the cabinets? (should be a fixed shelf vs an adjustable one). Just a thought. I have a friend who has his set up that way and it is very nice, though he had it custom built, with a space designed specifically for the speakers. The speakers are behind doors with knit grills on them, so you do not actually see the speakers, though they are very nice speakers, and it's a shame not to see them (Paradigm Stuido 40s and a Studio CC)
    Given your setup, sounds like towers may be your best choice, as you would still have to buy stands. You could always make some DIY stands though.
    If you were considering RT25s, I would actually say go with 4 of them and a CS245. This would be a very well ballanced setup.
    Quoting http://www.crutchfield.com
    Good luck. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by John Garcia on September 14, 2001 at 10:55 AM]

9. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum!
    I have four RT25i and a CS245i in my system and it sounds excellent. I've wall mounted the bookshelf speakers and the CS245i is sitting on top of my Sony RPTV. I had this all hooked up to a Pioneer 509S reciever before I upgraded to a the Sony Pre/Pro. For the money I doubt I could find anything I like better, the RT25i has the advantage of being small yet sounding very nice, and space is not something I have tons of ;-) I plan to upgrade to M&K's when I have the money, but they are about 1900 a pair.
    Polk has excellent customer service, and since you can find them at a lot of local stores you can undoubtably get a good deal if you buy the package. Furthermore Polk runs specials like buy $500 worth of speakers and get a free subwoofer. I don't know how good their subs are, I have an SVS.
    Brian
    Comparing the CS245 to the CS175, I noticed quite a bit of difference and greatly perfered the CS245.
    For a DVD player, Pioneer has a new player for ~$200 (I think it is at crutchfield) that will play MP3s
    [Edited last by Brian Kleinke on September 14, 2001 at 11:49 AM]

10. John Garcia

John
    BTW, you could pick up 4 Paradigm Titans and a CC-170 for less than $700...probably closer to $600. I got mine for less than that...
    [Edited last by John Garcia on September 14, 2001 at 12:14 PM]