What's new

Which receiver is best for my setup? (1 Viewer)

Paul_A

Grip
Hello everyone! I am pretty much a newb when it comes to the home theater, so I hope someone can give me some help.

Anyway, I want good sound for movies, music, and games, so I have decided to buy the Fluance SX-HTB. I have read many good reviews for Fluance's stuff, and I am not looking for the very best/most expensive speakers, so Fluance sounds like a good choice for me. I read that many people don't like to comment on Fluance, but I think they will suit me just fine.

Now comes my question: which receiver is best for my setup? I have been looking around and narrowed down my choices. I am considering HK, Denon, and Onkyo. For the HK, the AVR225 looks nice. For Denon, the AVR1803 or AVR983 (which I heard is another name for the AVR2803) are the ones I am looking into. However, I haven't really looked at any of the Onkyo's, but I have heard some good things about them.

Are any of those receivers too powerful for my setup? The Denons look really good with all the extras it has (like DTS ES, even though I only have movies with regular DTS, I think, and the 5/6 and 5/7 which seems like it would be good for music), but they are a bit pricey. I am thinking of possibly getting another speaker in the future for upgrading to 6.1, but a second speaker for 7.1 is low on my list of things to get.

Finally, even though this isn't the correct forum, could anyone recommend a nice sub for my setup?

Thanks for your help!

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
What's your price range for all of this?

A good sub would be an SVS - but if your entire budget is say ~$700 - that would no longer be a good choice for you.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
The HK AVR-225 is great for the price and I have one myself. One of the best subs out there that is going to give you deeep bass with a good bang for the buck is SVS so I would definantly check them out, but there starting powered-cyclinder sub is somehting like $550 so they don't start out very cheap either.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up an AR 12" powered sub for $120 including shipping. It does real well, 2 of them would be really amazing I'll bet. You can do a search as it is available from many sources.

On the budget, I am assuming that your budget is for a reciever and sub???

With that said.. I'd probably get a 6.1 reciever in the $300 or less range, and try to get a 15" powered sub with the rest of the money.

These days with THX2 a reality, the demands movie audio engineers are going to be putting on subs is fairly drastic, I certainly no longer with a clear conscience can recomend any 12" single driver single sub for the application at hand.

I think there are a fair amount of 12" powered subs, used in pairs, that could take the heat so to speak though.

Paul_A

Grip
I have started to lean towards the Denon AVR-1803, but it lacks an osd, and a few reviews point out it can become a bit strained if pushed to really high volumes. Does anyone know if the 1804 is any better? I still am having a hard time deciding.

At first, I wasn't really planning on getting a sub, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I should get one, so my budget includes the sub.

The SVS subs look amazing, but they are quite expensive. They are also quite large, but I would love to have one. I am just going to stick with a 15" sub for now and perhaps get a larger sub some other time. Can anyone recommend a good 15" sub? Thanks again.

Ryan_Becker

Auditioning
I just got the 1804 yesterday for $365, however, this is my first HT setup, so i can't give much advice. How are Axiom speakers? I plan on getting the M3ti, QS4, and VP100. For the sub, I think i'm gonna go with the Adire Reva, with the Shiva driver, since I have 2 in my car and they are wonderful :D

Paul_A

Grip
Ryan, did you get the 1804 at etronics? Also, if you are able to test out the 1804 within the next day or so, tell me how it goes.

Ryan_Becker

Auditioning
yes, i got it off etronics. i'm still at school, and it will be delivered to my house, so i won't be able to listen or review it for a week or so :frowning:

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
At - $750 - $1000 - I would say that you should go w/ that infamous $650 Denon 3803 deal and maybe save and get a BStock 25-31PCi later. That would go a few hundred above budget but you would get some serious performance there. I'm actually about to sell my Sony DA4ES so if you're interested in that, send me a PM, otherwise if you're inclined to go retail, definitely go with the Denon 3803.

Paul_A

Grip
That actually sounds like the best thing to do. I can probably live without the sub for a while and save up for the cheapest SVS.

I am really hoping the 3803 deal is still on though. I will order mine off the web, but the site now lists the 3803 as

Not In Stock
* Item Is On Order *

but the 3802 is still in stock. I may just go ahead an order the 3802 and hope for a 3803.

Paul_A

Grip
Sorry, but here is one last thing. The 3802 gives out 110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Your rear speakers will be fine:

1) Even though the 3802 claims to be rated @ 110 w/pc, it is actually a little lower.

2) The effects going to the rear speakers are usually lower in volume than the sound being applied to the front 3 channels during movies.

3) You'll find that you probably will not use all of the power provided by the 3802 - many of us never run our systems at 100% or their capability - just 120% (Just kidding) :D :D

AndrewKC

Agent
You should try calling them and asking them specifically for the 3803 at the 650 price. People have been doing this with success on this and other forums. A less expensive option than the SVS could be a HSU VTF-2 or their latest offering without the variable tuning feature (STF, I believe). I think they're about 400 dollars, although you might want to double check.

Paul_A

Grip
Alright, I have finally decided what I am going to get. I have changed my mind quite a few times, but I believe this is the best setup to get.

Fluance SX-HTB
Denon AVR-1804
SVS 25-31 CS or 20-39 CS

I am getting a CS since I have access to amps, so this seems like the best choice. I would like a CS+, but I don't have an amp over 300 watts, so it would be a waste.

I only have one more question. Should I buy the 1804 from etronics or Dakmart?

I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that the Dakmart is a better deal since it is 1.)cheaper and 2.)it is an authorized denon dealer, but it is a refurb. Thanks for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks