Which receiver is best for me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Spector, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Spector

Spector Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I do realise there have been a lot of similar threads made but I haven't found one that was in the same price range of mine. I'm looking to spend about 500 on a receiver. I think I missed out on that Denon 3802 deal though [​IMG].
    I want it to be able to power paradigm speakers, monitor or studio line. I"m not sure which at this point. I would also like it to be hooked up to my HTPC that I'm going to have in my HT system.
    Any suggestions? I know Denon is very good and also Onkyo but I'm pretty clueless as of which one to get.
    Thanks

2. Darren Boi

Darren Boi Auditioning

I'm in the same boat as you. Been looking at Denon 3802, Yamaha 1200 and still can't make up my mind. Will be running them with my Definitive Tech ProCinema 100 speakers.
    Too bad I can't borrow both receivers home to test. Wish I could, would make it so much easier to decide....
    [​IMG]

3. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

See if you can get the store to let you take home a floor model (One of each) for an overnight trial. A/B them with headphones.

4. Spector

That 3802 deal is officially dead though? :/

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You might wanna look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S, or if you won't feel right not spending all the $$ you have budgeted, the Pioneer Elite VSX-41. They're essentially the same, except the 41 has Re-EQ, another optical output, 110x6 instead of 100x6, and the way kewl gloss black urushi finish. The 811S ir retail $400 at BB but can be had online for just under $300 shipped. To get in under $500 on the 41, you'd have to purchase online (check yahoo shopping).

You might also want to look into the Kenwood 6070. It's the best priced THX Select receiver out there. It's $600 at BB but is as low as $435 + Shipping on yahoo shopping. It's not as asteticly pleasing as the 41 (or the 811 really), but it is a solid performer, especially if you want THX certification in that price range. Only draw back is it doesn't allow you to use 2 back surround speakers for a 7.1 setup.

Hope this helps

6. flenn

flenn Agent

Come up with another $100 and you could have this -link

7. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

rxv730

8. Spector

Harman Kardon, I haven't heard much about them. Maybe I'll give them a look.

9. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"Harman Kardon, I haven't heard much about them. Maybe I'll give them a look."

Haven't heard much about them because people in these forums tend to not know much about them. You'll probably hear they are unreliable (untrue), expensive (equally untrue) and underpowered (especially untrue).

They had some reliability problems a couple years ago that are ironed out. Marantz is usually praised for their products, but they have had far more (and more serious) problems than HK. You can get them from an authorized dealer online (jandrworld.com) for a reasonable price. DO NOT let their relatively low power rating deceive you. They are, in fact, more powerful than other receivers in their price range, more musical, warm and pleasing to listen to.

Try out an avr320. Should be able to find them at Circuit City. It will sound great with those Paradigms. JandR world has it for $499.

Most of my posts in this forum have to do with HK. I just think few people here appreciate what a great bargain they are.

10. Spector

That receiver is pretty cheap and definetey in my price range. One of the reasons I might go with Denon is because I KNOW they are good but spending 700 on a receiver is just a bit too much for me. Harmon Karmen might just turn out to have the receiver for me.

11. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

Just to set things straight, the Denon deal is definitely not dead. I just ordered mine last Friday.