Which Receiver for My Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TerryT, Mar 18, 2004.

1. TerryT

TerryT Auditioning

I've narrowed my choice of speakers to the Ascend CBM-170 front and surround, CMT-340 center, SU VTF-2 sub) and Aperion (522-D front and surround, 522D-C center and HSU VTF-2 sub). I'll be ordering both to test and would like your advice on which receiver you think would sound better, the Denon AVR-2803 or the Yamaha SX-V1400. Both seem to have similar features and sufficient power for my room (13'x23'x8'). Thoughts?

2. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Could you send me your ears so that I can listen to what you would hear and make the decision for you?

All kidding aside, only you can tell us what sounded best to you, not the other way around. Go listen to both and go with what sounded best to you. Both receivers mentioned are worthy.

JB

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Good to see another person preaching the importance of auditioning. Inquire at your dealer about taking one home to audition with the speakers. Take both home maybe if you'll have two sets of speakers. Have fun, decide what makes you happy. Besides, to extend what John said, it's you that's going to be listening to your system, not us.

4. TerryT

TerryT Auditioning

Ok, to further confuse the issue. I auditioned the receivers mentioned at my local dealer last night. To my ears, the Yamaha allowed me to hear more detail but was a much brighter sound than the Denon. The Denon 2803 had a warmer, more mellow (if that's a correct term)sound. Then the salesman had me listen to the Denon 3803. The 3803 seemed more comparable (feature wise) to the Yamaha, and to my ears had a slightly better sound (especially on vocals) than the Yamaha. And a much better sound than the 2803.

I can get the Denon 3803 for $899 and the Yamaha 1400 for $725. Considering that features are pretty much the same on both units, which would be the better buy cost wise?

5. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Did you try the Yamaha 2400? [​IMG]

If the 3803 sounded better to you, what's an extra $160? If you get the Yamaha, you'll constantly be asking yourself why you didn't get the one that you liked better. [​IMG]

JB

6. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

TerryT,
    Any reason you are considering the Aperion Bookshelf speakers but not their sub?

7. TerryT

TerryT Auditioning

Mitch_J, I've ordered the Ascend speakers which come with the HSU VTF-2 sub. It's such a high rated sub, I thought I'd also try the Aperion speakers with it to compare apples to apples. Is there a reason I should use the Aperion sub?

John, I didn't try the 2400. I'm trying to stay within my budget and I know that I'd probably like the 2400 better and then wouldn't be satisfied with what I can afford.

8. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Terry,
    Of all the reviews I've read on the Aperion systems they've all specifically mention that the sub was the jewel of the system. some of the reviews even said that the 10' sub was as good as some 12' subs they'd tested. I can only vouch for their S-12 sub. WOW!.. I might not have a golden ear but I know what I like. I can't imagine how a SVS or HSU could be any better than what I got. So with a 30 day trial and free shipping, I had to give it a try. And if I were to be in the market for some bookshelf speakers I would certainly try theirs out first.