What's new

Which receiver for <$500 (1 Viewer)

BobMcN

Grip
I've been getting a headache lately with all the reported problems in this price range: Onkyo TXSR500 subwoofer problems & cheap build quality, HK x20's shutting down, ...etc.

What to buy? I need:
5.1 (7.1 not necessary)
2 zones
3 or more analogue inputs
Less than $500 (less than $400 is better)

Help!!!
Bob

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
The Kenwood VR-6070 (on sale at Best Buy recently for $449.99)and Panasonic SA-HE200 have apparently gotten pretty good reviews in this range.

Chris_James

Auditioning
You might want to look at the Denon 1803: 6.1, two zones, should have all the inputs you need. Retails for $499 everywhere I checked locally, can find it cheaper/much cheaper online depending on whether you buy from a Denon authorized dealer.

Also, run a check through activebuyersguide.com - see what you can find thats multizone and in your price range.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
you can check out the RXV-630 from Yamaha, 6.1 75 watts of great clean Yamaha power, easy to use. I've got the 730 next model up and its great only difference between the 2 is remote is a bit nicer on the 730, it has phono in, and on screen display. other than that they're the same. Its been good to me for the last 3 months I've had it, absolutely no problems and great sound that seems to only get better.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
My vote goes to the STR-DA2ES. I havent seen anything else with the features and power of this unit for the price.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I personally wouldn't go with a Sony since 90% of there recievers are highly over rated for power ratings.

John Spicer

Agent
Honestly Bob,
I would still go with the HK *20 series. I have a 320 and have never had it shutdown on me despite the fact that its in a small rack. Its clean and sounds beautiful. I think there are probably way more quiet happy owners of HK than there are outspoken upset owners.

-- John

BobMcN

Grip
Well, the FEDEX claim form has been submitted - the Onkyo receiver was not found by the driver or by the warehouse.

So the NEW top contenders seem to be the Kenwood VR6060 or one of the HK x20. I can pick up the Kenwood for about $350 delivered. It doesn't sound like the Kenwood has the ability to sound as good as the HK for music, but it definitely has all the HT features I need.

Anyone done direct comparison of Kenwood vs. HK?

Thanks,
Bob

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I have a VR-6070 -- no experience with HK other than reading over the manual for the 120. I noticed that the 120 remote can be programmed for channel and volume punch-through. The 6070 remote does not have punch-through, which is an inconvenience. If you watch digital cable, you might be interested in automatic switching of input modes as you change from channel to channel. The 6070 does this, but it doesn't always work, requiring some extra button pushing. I think the 120 does not do automatic switching -- don't know about the 320. I like my 6070.

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator

a LOT of companies making receivers highly overrate their power ratings for their receivers, even the touted Denon being mentioned around here. Just because the company overrates their power ratings doesn't mean it makes a bad receiver, and vice versa.

I think at this price point you should just be looking for the best deal from any company. My father got a steal of a deal for an HK320 for $270, and I bought my Denon 1802 for $320 shipped, and I think the HK sounds better, but if i had a 2802 to compare, I'm sure the difference would be negligible. Most receivers following the same bias (entry-level, mid-level, highest-level) will offer about the same quality and value across the board between respectable companies.

For that matter, I think Costco is offering the HK520 for $499 (or was it the 525?). Even though they're not an authorized dealer, they have a lifetime return policy on all their electronics that you can take advantage of if needed. If you don't need this, then look around on eBay and that once in a lifetime deal that comes around (i.e. HK320 for $270 at CC). Good things come to those who wait.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I own both the Kenwood 6050 and the HK 320. I have the HK 320 on my higher end system but I switched back and forth with the Kenwood several times. The HK blows the Kenwood away on movies and is also better for music IMO. I can't believe the Kenwood 6060 is that much different sounding than the 6050. The Kenwood isn't bad...it's just not nearly as good.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I second the Denon 1803. I just exchanged my Sony DA2ES for a 2803 and the Denon sounds much better IMO.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks