What's new

which receiver? Denon or Yamaha (1 Viewer)

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Time to replace my receiver has mine does not have Dolby HD - just plain old Dolby Digital. I am looking at the Yamaha RXV 575 which retails for about $500 in Canada. I am also considering, and leaning towards, the Denon AVR X2000 which retails for $700 here. (The Denon AVR-X1000 is $500). I live in a condo so it never really gets blasted, but good quality sound is important and I also use it to listen to music. All the internet connectivity stuff is of less importance.
Suggestions? Some other receiver people would suggest?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If all your devices are HDMI, sure get the 575(pretty sure the 675 is the first one with HDMI upconversion).

I've still not played with a current Denon to see if there "new easy to use GUI" is really easy to use. But Yamaha with theirs(which I think the 575 has it, if not, another reason for the 675) is pretty darn easy.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the 675 (which I didn't even know existed) and if I go Yamaha it seems the best option for $100 more.

I have read on some review sites that they had trouble with the subwoofer set up with the Yamaha.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have owned Yamaha in the past and Denon both! I have heard a number of Yamaha and Denon set ups and to this day I still prefer and recommend the Denon receivers! Yamaha has some nice models but I just like the Denon's sound quality and build quality over the Yamaha.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
In my case it's just the opposite, I have always preferred Yamaha over Denon, and IMO Yamaha has the better build and sound quality. :)

In this case it really is a matter of personal preference, so your best bet is to play with both as much as you can, then make a decision. You really can't go wrong with either, they are both good brands and each has their strong and weak points.

One difference between them that might be signoficant is that the Yamaha has their own room correction/speaker calibration system (YPAO) and Denon uses Audessey. If you really want Audessey, get the Denon.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Thanks for the advice. Still not sure 100% which way I will go, but it sounds more like a choice of personal preference rather than one receiver being substantially better than the other.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I know several guys & 2 personal friends that have recently bought the RXV 675 (over Denon & Onkyo equivalents)

- reduced price recently at FS & BB
They are very impressed not only for sound but for features.

I would recommend you audition & let your ears dictate.

EDIT: As for YPAO vs Audyssey - I bet you would end up tweaking settings on either anyway...

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
The Yamahas tend to do a pretty good job of delivering clarity, crisp details for music. Denons are a little muffled but again as mentioned prior, it'll be best to audition them yourself. Their Aventage series are awesome, I would recommend the RX-A730, is impressive for its well built than the RXV575&675What types of speakers are you looking to use? Stereo/surround sound?

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Audio14 said:
The Yamahas tend to do a pretty good job of delivering clarity, crisp details for music. Denons are a little muffled but again as mentioned prior, it'll be best to audition them yourself. Their Aventage series are awesome, I would recommend the RX-A730, is impressive for its well built than the RXV575&675 What types of speakers are you looking to use? Stereo/surround sound?
2nd the A730 ... check it out! Also, for music, you might like Marantz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks