What's new

Which receiver best fits these needs? (1 Viewer)

Howie Hsu

Grip
Hi all,
I'm a newbie too and am thinking of buying a receiver around $400 that satisfies the following needs. First of all, I have to ask a newbie question that's been bothering me.
1) What does a digital output on a receiver do? Is that for pre-amps?

As for the right receiver, I need to connect the following:
1) DVD – Sony DVP – S530D
2) VCR – Panasonic PV-8662
3) Digital Cable Box
4) Xbox ( I really want to use the Optical digital input for Dolby Digital playback)
and hardest of all,
5) I'm not currently buying a speaker system, rather using my computer and it's speakers (fairly nice THX speakers but nonetheless, still computer speakers).

From what I'm guessing, I need at least 3 digital inputs (DVD, Cable, Xbox)? and what do I need for the computer???

The choices I've narrowed it down to are Denon 1802, Onkyo SR600/700 Pioneer 811S, H/K AVR 225.

Help!!

Thanks so much.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Any of those should meet your needs. Marantz SR4200 or 5200 should also be on your short list. What really matters is what you will do when you DO buy speakers later on. If you listen to more music, I would say Marantz or H/K, if you watch more movies, then the Denon or Onkyos are fine. Since any of them will work, take your favorite CD and go listen to as many as you can.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
have a listen to the panasonic sa he100, sounded pretty good without tweaking....and lots of bells and wistles...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks