Which Receiver as Pre Pro? HK 520, Denon 3802, Onkyo 797, Marantz 7200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chung_sotheby, Aug 14, 2002.

1. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I have given up on spending over over $1000 for a pre that will be obsolete in less than 18 months, so I have decided to just buy a reciever for my HT needs. Now, with a ranking of 70/30 Soundquality/Features, which of these receivers take the cake. I am primarily looking for a receiver that will function well in terms of DD, DTS, PLII, 5 channel music, and Video Swithching. I am very interested in the 520, but it seems like HK will be releasing a new slate of receivers, as is Denon and Marantz. Remember, amplification is not a priority, as I will be running it through outboard amps. 2 channel music is not a priority, either, as I have a seperate 2 channel system. Thanks

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chung- I am looking at these too, along with the Yamaha RX-V1300.
    Here's what I've concluded so far:
    Yamaha: 24/192 DACs with the best *mass market* DSP available, IMO. Brand new product.
    H/K 520: cannot apply Logic 7 processing to 5.1 sources. Also, no DD EX.
    Denon: 24/96 DACs. Only 1 coax input and 1 digital record output (Yamaha has 2 of each).
    Onkyo: also has a fixed crossover to the sub (like the Yamaha). Denon is adjustable, but global for all speakers. H/K is kind of strange in that for 80 Hz and above, it's a crossover, but 60 and 40 Hz, not a crossover, just a low pass filter on the sub (mains run full range).
    If I bought *today*, would be a Yamaha. But my time frame is end of Sept. I will be *looking forward* to any info on the successor to the 3802 and 520.
    I saw a blurb in S&V, that the new H/K 225 *does* support Logic 7 on 5.1 sources. If the 525 (?) has that, that's what I'd get.
    Look how highly rated the 520 is on www.audioreview.com .
    Be curious as to your thinking as well. (I'm thinking of mating the receiver-as-a-pre/pro to an ICBM, then the BM doesn't matter. But there's the "volume problem" with doing it this way...)
    Outlaw is late. Wonder how many others are thinking this way too! [​IMG]

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I think the 797 is also being replaced.

I have the 797 and am completely pleased . I will not replace it unless (when) I go the seperates route. I also bypass the internal amps for two external amps.

4. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I been nursing a similiar problem. Picked up a HK520 at CCity. Replaced a Onkyo 595. It has OSD. So if your TV is not hooked up - setting this receiver up would be a problem.

I could tell right out of the box without adjustemnts that the bass was tighter than the Onkyo. The sound is different. However, I haven't completed all adjustments with my sub.

I was looking at the Denon 3802, Onkyo 700 and the Marantz 7200. I ruled out the Marantz today at the high fi store. It has no DTS-es or DD-EX. I really think those formats make little difference unless you are ready to go to a 7.1 system.

The HK is cleasrly flexible enough to make this leap with everything having preouts. I plan on going to 7.1 early next year picking up a seperate amp. I think the HK will be good for many years to come but.... I still have 28 days to return it. Its been fun researching these receivers. Almost as fun as getting one...lol.

5. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

The Marantz SR-7200 does actually decode EX and ES.

6. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    I also have the 797 and am very happy. I run all video through the 797 with no degradation of picture quality. This helps in ease of use, especially if you have limited connections on your TV as I did. The composite to S-video conversion is a very nice feature also.
    The 797 has been discontinued, however if you can still find one I think it would be worth it.
    Good Luck
    David

7. flenn

flenn Agent

As a pre/pro, I don't thing there's any better choice than the Sony DA5ES right now. They can be had for around $750 and offer three 32 bit processors for decode/DSP and the higher spec 24/192 DACs. It also has 10khz adjustable bass management and separate EQ for each speaker, something the other receivers you mentioned don't have, I believe. Also, if you haven't heard Sony's Cinema Studio DSP's, they're quite remarkable.

8. Chad T

Chad T Auditioning

Anyone know if the da4es will do 24/192?

Thanks,
    -Chad

9. aaron.r

aaron.r Extra

Phil,
    How is the sound quality using the pre-amp outs with a separate amp? I've heard that it's not worth the bother using an integrated receiver as a pre unless the pass through is in the 3-4 volt, full audio (20-20k) range with less than .1% distortion... but maybe this is just what separates-fans are saying to justify their pricey separate pre's...

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

11. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

John:

I wasn't claiming to be an expert. Certainly the Marantz and for that matter any DD or DTS receiver can still decode the new ES and EX formats..

Dolby's website says they made the format to be backwards compatible. I guess you just miss out on some additional effects.

As for your last comment, I certainly bought the HK 520 so that I can upgrade to 7.1 at some time. The salesman at the Rotel/Marantz store just made interesting point that he didn't think the new formats would catch on very well because of the complications of placing the extra speakers for the general public.

However, the salesmen at another high end store I visited thought the new formats were great and would catch on well. I guess it remains to be seen.

If nothing else this has been a great learning experience for me - 'cause I haven't bought a nice receiver since the early 1980's. I still have a big old Pioneer 120 w/channel receiver. Stills lots of great high current power!

The 520 does decode DD-EX - I played the Lord of the Rings tonight and it works fine. I haven't ran across a DTS-ES movie yet. Anyone know one I could rent?

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

13. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

14. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

The Sony DA4ES has the best bass management in the price range and decodes just about every format I can think of except Logic 7. Since the receiver is only for HT, these features make it worth considering. It's also cheaper than the DA5ES and has 7.1 in/out.

Chad, it has 192/24 DACs if that's what you mean.

15. John Garcia

John

16. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Hey John:

Thanks for your reply. I have the HK 520. It doesn't proport to have DD-EX. But does have DTS-ES. I'm confused by what you mean about still getting all the sound just matrixed in the center channel.

In other words, when I switch to the 7.1 system - are you saying I'll be hearing the sound track like I have DD-EX, even though I don't, or, I think, your saying I still get all the sound but maybe not as intended in each individual speaker?

Could you elaborate?

As for me - I can't wait to go to 7.1. I like the HK more every day. The extra speakers will be a challenge getting into the ceiling of my two story home. I haven't figured that out yet.

Which receiver did you buy by the way? Did you consider the 520? Give me your opinions - it IS appreciated.

thanks!

Mike

17. John Garcia

John
    At the time, I listened to the 510 (520 not out yet), 3802, DA3ES/5ES and the 6200/7200. I don't really need many of the step-ups that the 7200 has, so I got the 6200 the week they hit the stores. 510 sounded very good also, but had heard of some issues with them. The Denon and Sonys didn't quite sound as good with music, but both sounded very good for HT.