Which Receiver and 5.1 speaker set-up for $500?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Rob White, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

Receiver needs:
    •5.1 capable.
    •6.1 is ok, but I already have the speaker wire mounted in the wall and I don't want to add a wire for a center surround speaker in the back of the room.
    •doesn't have to be super-loud; we watch loud stuff in our bedroom home theater; this set-up is for our family room.
    •I have heard some good things about the Yamaha HTR-5630 for $199 at BestBuy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03031

Speaker needs:
    •don't want ones that are too big; it's for a family room/living room.
    •I could probably swing black or brown ones, but cream or white would probably look better; my wife let me go with black speakers in the bedroom, but I may have to compromise here.

Budget:
    •$500.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Rob

2. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

http://www.onecall.com Has a HK325 on sale for $441. It is hard to beat for the money. I bought my HK520 from there and love it. Very powerful warm receiver.

Greg

3. greg baker

Sorry Rob I didn't read closeley enough you need speakers also. I think the Onkyo HTIB at Circuit city could fill the bill.

Greg

4. Rob White

Hey Greg,

I may be asking for too much with my criteria, but I need the speakers to be smaller. I'm trying to downsize on speakers that are 16x10x9 inches. The ones in the $499 Onkyo are about that same size.

Thanks though for responding,

Rob

5. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

the pioneer VSX-D412S is a good little receiver for the price, i recently bought one, it is perfect for what my needs are. one day when i buy my own home thou, i will upgrade it too something that would fit that need. but for under 200 bucks that is an awesome receiver.

7. Rob White

Harold,

Thanks. Have you ever heard the Sony speakers that you mentioned? I've never thought of Sony as a particularly great brand of speakers. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Rob

8. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

No I am no audiophile by any means thus not picky when it comes to speakers. I suggested them mainly because Circuit City sells them and had a bunch of good customer reviews (some bad too though) on their web site, so you might want to go check out what some other people had to say about them.

http://www.circuitcity.com/display_r...9&catoid=-8023

9. TosH

TosH Agent

You're really asking for a whole lot from that $500. Basically at that budget you're looking at HTIB or separate components on a similar level. Spreading that money over a 2.1 setup would net you better sound and the ability to add on to your system without junking anything. Here's one suggestion:

2.1 Setup
    Receiver - Panasonic SA-XR25 $210
    Sub - Dayton 10" 100W $140
    Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond Anniversary 8.1 (Rosewood or Birds Eye Maple Veneer) $160

Although I've never heard that Sony setup, I'm positive the 2.1 setup I laid out would blow it away in every aspect.

10. greg baker

Though they are being harder to find. The Acoustic research hc6 is a good looking set up that is small and sounds good. I believe they have been discontinued but they can still be found on the net. cnet.com has a review on them.

11. TosH

TosH Agent

I forgot to add, if you're dead set on going 5.1, then look into picking up the JBL NSPII speaker set for around $200. They're black and not that pretty but you'll be hard pressed to find anything sounding much better at that price range. That'll put you a little over budget but not by too much.