What's new

Which Receiver and 5.1 speaker set-up for $500? (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Receiver needs:
•5.1 capable.
•6.1 is ok, but I already have the speaker wire mounted in the wall and I don't want to add a wire for a center surround speaker in the back of the room.
•doesn't have to be super-loud; we watch loud stuff in our bedroom home theater; this set-up is for our family room.
•I have heard some good things about the Yamaha HTR-5630 for $199 at BestBuy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03031

Speaker needs:
•don't want ones that are too big; it's for a family room/living room.
•I could probably swing black or brown ones, but cream or white would probably look better; my wife let me go with black speakers in the bedroom, but I may have to compromise here.

Budget:
•$500.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Rob

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Rob I didn't read closeley enough you need speakers also. I think the Onkyo HTIB at Circuit city could fill the bill.

Greg

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Greg,

I may be asking for too much with my criteria, but I need the speakers to be smaller. I'm trying to downsize on speakers that are 16x10x9 inches. The ones in the $499 Onkyo are about that same size.

Thanks though for responding,

Rob

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
the pioneer VSX-D412S is a good little receiver for the price, i recently bought one, it is perfect for what my needs are. one day when i buy my own home thou, i will upgrade it too something that would fit that need. but for under 200 bucks that is an awesome receiver.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Harold,

Thanks. Have you ever heard the Sony speakers that you mentioned? I've never thought of Sony as a particularly great brand of speakers. What do you think?

Thanks,
Rob

TosH

Agent
You're really asking for a whole lot from that $500. Basically at that budget you're looking at HTIB or separate components on a similar level. Spreading that money over a 2.1 setup would net you better sound and the ability to add on to your system without junking anything. Here's one suggestion:

2.1 Setup
Receiver - Panasonic SA-XR25 $210
Sub - Dayton 10" 100W $140
Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond Anniversary 8.1 (Rosewood or Birds Eye Maple Veneer) $160

Although I've never heard that Sony setup, I'm positive the 2.1 setup I laid out would blow it away in every aspect.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
Though they are being harder to find. The Acoustic research hc6 is a good looking set up that is small and sounds good. I believe they have been discontinued but they can still be found on the net. cnet.com has a review on them.

TosH

Agent
I forgot to add, if you're dead set on going 5.1, then look into picking up the JBL NSPII speaker set for around $200. They're black and not that pretty but you'll be hard pressed to find anything sounding much better at that price range. That'll put you a little over budget but not by too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks