What's new

Which quality television shows deserve to be put in a time capsule to be opened 100 years from now? (1 Viewer)

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
All genres can be counted including, drama. comedy, talk and variety, news magazine shows. Below is my list.

Ben Casey
Twilight Zone
All in the Family
Mary Tyler Moore
Dick Van Dyke
Seinfeld
Rockford Files
Hawaii Five O
Edward R. Murrow
60 Minutes
The Anthology Series
Jack Benny
Dean Martin
Mash
Law and Order
I Love Lucy
Police Story
Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson
David Letterman

I could go on. I would love your input. Thanks. I am blanking out.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
So many possibilities. I think anything that goes in a time capsule should show how people lived at the time the series was filmed. So while I Love Lucy should go in because of its sheer brilliance, Leave it to Beaver should be in there as well. Say rule should apply for the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with most of the shows above.

Here's some excellent shows (in alphabetical order) from the last 20 years or so that can proudly stand with what's already listed:

Lost
Seinfeld
The Shield
The Simpsons
The Sopranos
Twin Peaks
The Wire
The X-Files

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Adventures of Superman (George Reeves)
The Avengers
The Bob Newhart Show
The Donna Reed Show
Fawlty Towers
The Flintstones
Gilligan's Island (yes, I said it... someone had to, although it'll probably still be playing somewhere)
The Jetsons (TOS)
Jonny Quest (TOS)
Leave it to Beaver
Mission Impossible
Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Outer Limits (TOS)
The Prisoner
Star Trek (TOS)
Wild, Wild West

Of course there are more and almost anyone will tend to include some of their favorites whether or not they are truly deserving. I know I have...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
David's idea is a good one, reflecting the era, etc.

Adam-12. Late 60's-early 70's cop show. To me, captured a realistic day in the life of an LA patrol car's calls.
Barney Miller. Being around then, this one to me reflected that mid-70's NYC era
Bewitched. Nope, not "Sam" twitching
Hogan's Heroes. Enough said. Classic.
Honey West. Lesser-known '65 detective show with an unusual female lead.
The Lone Ranger. Clayton Moore seasons only. Later 50's memories watching that one after school.
Looney Tunes. Can't omit some of those.
Rawhide. One of the best Westerns ever, imo. Captured that cattle-drive hostoric era.
The Rifleman. One of the best "father-son" shows ever, imo. Having met Johnny Crawford years ago, special memories for me.
Time Tunnel. My all-time "kid" memory scifi favorote.
Wild Wild West. Especially the 1st B/W season. Robert Conrad had that part nailed with great acting repport between him and Ross Martin.

A couple of miniseries to finish up:

Centennial. Wow. What a series depicting several generations of Colorado history.
Rich Man, Poor Man. 70's icon miniseries
Shogun. Early 80's series. imo, one of the best ever miniseries.
Winds of War & War/Rememberance. WWII historical dramas with stellar cast.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Without question Saturday Night Live due to how each season addressed life as it was during the time it originally aired (including the politics, news and entertainment/music of the day) and in turn how it impacted popular culture.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
My picks --

Cinderella (the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, original broadcast w/Julie Andrews)
Dick Van Dyke
The Fugitive
Hill Street Blues
Law & Order (the original, not SVU & CI)
Leave It To Beaver (yeah, I know -- but it's an icon)
Mary Tyler Moore
MASH
Playhouse 90
St. Elsewhere
Victory at Sea
You Are There

But --

Here's a question for you: what format will you put it in? Film will likely fade in 100 years and today's formats -- both digital and analog -- will be obsolete and unreadable. Remember 3-1/2" floppy disks? 5-1/4" floppies? LPs? 45s? Two-inch reel tape? Quarter-inch reel tape? Punch cards? Videocassettes? Eight-tracks? How about audio cylinders and dictaphone reels? And HD DVD? They all came and went in the last 100 years -- HD DVD in the last five! Predictions are that CDs will be gone soon. Anyone think DVD and Blu-ray will be around in 2109?

Even if you take the safest choice (film), and manage to keep the film from fading, don't count on projectors being around, especially for specialized formats. More and more Hollywood films are being shot digital and shown digital, so the days of those big 35mm projectors are probably numbered. Heck, who knows how long Kodak will even make film? As for any other film format, ever try to find a 16mm projector recently? You can do it, but it ain't easy.

Conclusion: I don't envy anyone in the time capsule business!

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson /forum/thread/292804/which-quality-...-to-be-opened-100-years-from-now#post_3605533

Roots
The Brady Bunch
Dallas
All in the Family
The Honeymooners
The Twilight Zone
I Love Lucy
The Flintstones
Seinfeld
Survivor
Jeoardy!
Wheel of Fortune
Wonder Woman

Roots
The Brady Bunch
Dallas
All in the Family
The Honeymooners
The Twilight Zone
I Love Lucy
The Flintstones
Seinfeld
Survivor
Jeoardy!
Wheel of Fortune
Wonder Woman

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
A few documentaries:

The Ascent of Man
Cosmos
Connections
& Connections 2 (the later series were not as good, in my view)
Ken Burns' The Civil War
Civilisation
Planet Earth
The Blue Planet

Mini-Series:

The Adams Chronicles
Pride and Prejudice (the 1996 BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle)
The Winds of War
War and Remembrance
I, Claudius

Ursala K. Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven (the 1980 PBS adaptation which Le Guin herself was involved with and approved, not the execrable 2002 "Lathe of Heaven" produced by A&E, which abandoned half the plot and characters from the novel and the earlier film, as well as most of the philosophical underpinnings of both. Le Guin pronounced it "misguided and uninteresting", and from what I saw of it, I agree.)
QBVII The first mini-series on American television launched Anthony Hopkins as an international star. Follows the lives of two men who come from different worlds and follow very different paths through the horrors of WW2 until their paths finally cross in a London courtroom during a sensational libel case that could destroy one or both of them.
Shogun. Historical drama set in Japan. Heavily fictionalized, which loses huge points with me, but still a fascinating epic that has scale, sweep, color and some wonderful performances, beginning with Richard Chamberlain as a shipwrecked Englishman who becomes the first European to join the ranks of the samurai.

I'll doubtless think of more later.

Regards,

Joe

LizH

Second Unit
Max Headroom
I Dream of Jeannie
The Golden Girls (Even now, 25 years after its premiere, it's as fresh and funny as ever. )

Venice-H

Agent
I'm not sure how to answer the original question. Do I choose for my own interests, or do I choose for the sake of history? Do I choose high-quality shows with limited interest (at the time), or do I choose shows that were "typical" for the era?

A more intriguing and answerable question came later:

Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

Here's a question for you: what format will you put it in? Film will likely fade in 100 years and today's formats -- both digital and analog -- will be obsolete and unreadable. Remember 3-1/2" floppy disks? 5-1/4" floppies? LPs? 45s? Two-inch reel tape? Quarter-inch reel tape? Punch cards? Videocassettes? Eight-tracks? How about audio cylinders and dictaphone reels? And HD DVD? They all came and went in the last 100 years -- HD DVD in the last five! Predictions are that CDs will be gone soon. Anyone think DVD and Blu-ray will be around in 2109?

Even if you take the safest choice (film), and manage to keep the film from fading, don't count on projectors being around, especially for specialized formats. More and more Hollywood films are being shot digital and shown digital, so the days of those big 35mm projectors are probably numbered. Heck, who knows how long Kodak will even make film? As for any other film format, ever try to find a 16mm projector recently? You can do it, but it ain't easy.

Conclusion: I don't envy anyone in the time capsule business!
Digital, by definition, is a bunch of 0s and 1s, which are easy to store, copy, and translate. I'm not sure if DVD and Blu-Ray will be the reigning formats in 100 years (I very much doubt it), but the format used then is likely to still be digital. I don't know if film will even have a role then.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
While I agree with many already posted, I have to add two more:
- Honeymooners (classic 39 episodes)
- Andy Griffith Show (seasons 1 through 5)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Venice-H

Digital, by definition, is a bunch of 0s and 1s, which are easy to store, copy, and translate. I'm not sure if DVD and Blu-Ray will be the reigning formats in 100 years (I very much doubt it), but the format used then is likely to still be digital. I don't know if film will even have a role then.
Film probably won't (though low-tech things have been written off before and survive still. Books, anyone?). As for digital being "easy to store, copy, and translate", it ain't necessarily so, to quote the Gershwins. Remember, whatever medium you put it on will stay locked away in a box underground for 100 years. It won't be transferred to something newer, like data on floppies being copied to CD.

Consider this from Cliff Stoll, who in 1979 helped record the data from the NASA Pioneer spacecraft's flyby of Saturn: "To make certain that we didn't lose any of this precious data, we saved it in four formats: 9-track magnetic tape, 7-track tape, paper tape, and punch cards. Fifteen years later, all those cards and tapes survive in a Tucson warehouse. They're in fine shape, but I can't read 'em. Punch-card and paper-tape readers just don't exist any more. Nor do those big reel-to-reel tape recorders." He was writing in 1994, and you see how high-end technology got obsolete real fast.

In short, it's not the data that's the problem; it's how you store it. Anyone assuming DVDs will be readable 100 years hence, good luck. You're assuming that you have a player (and as suggested above you could put one in the capsule). You're also assuming however:

(a) The player will power up in 2109 and hasn't gone bad from sitting unused for a century (and that 110-volt alternating current is still in use, probably a safe bet but who knows for sure?) -- if it doesn't power up or skips, who'll know how to fix it?;

(b) The DVD itself hasn't fallen victim to rot of some kind (even the manufacturers aren't claiming 100-year lifetimes, and while plastic may be almost forever, substrate layers staying stuck together and uncontaminated is not); and

(c) The screen has NTSC compatibility.

On that last, you could put a player with built-in screen into the box, but that still leaves you with (a) and (b).

Like I said, I don't envy anyone in the time capsule business!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I agree with perhaps four or five of the programs some of listed above but no more than that.

I would add the documentaries by Ken Burns.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The Lucy Show
Green Acres
Bewitched
Three's Company
Happy Days
The Golden Girls
All in the Family
The Jeffersons