Which PVR is best for me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Flanagan, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Mike Flanagan

I have a Dish 6000 HD receiver and the OTA module for local stuff. I want to be able to record HD but I think at this point in time i'm smokin pot. I want to be able to record local as well as satellite stuff.

What do I need to look for in a PVR? What's the best deal (subscription + hardware)?

Thanks in advance!
    Flan

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

No HD-PVRs available at this point. Closest thing is PC + HDTV card; you can record OTA to disk and playback. (But no satellite recording, also some PVR features don't work like playing back one show while recording another, a big minus in my book).

For standard-def recording, if you can get local channels via Dish network ($6/month), probably the Dish 721 sat receiver / PVR is your best option IMO, assuming you are locked into Dish network. 2 tuners, records directly from the satellite. No PVR fees I don't think. 521 is cheaper but only 1 tuner. These PVR's software aren't as sophisticated as Tivo's, but the quality advantage of recording directly from satellite, and the 2-tuner option would trump ease-of-use, at least for me.

If you can't get locals, but want to record them, then you'd have to get a standalone model, like a Tivo series 2. Standalones can record from analog cable/OTA, their advantage, but the disadvantage is for satellite they have to record from your sat receiver's analog output. This leads to a slight quality drop, and also takes more drive space (for high quality recordings, less record time per gigabyte). You also lose digital audio.

If you can wait, the Dish 921 PVR will come out, 2 tuners, high-def-recording, both satellite and OTA. But no one really knows when it will be released; it could be in 4 months, could be 12 months.