Which PS2/X-BOX games are widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Marx, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

I'm shopping for a new 36-inch TV, an HDTV. The salesguy told me that most games will not take up the whole screen, but will be letterboxed. However, he mentioned that some games have a mode to be made widescreen- to take up the whole 16X9 ratio.

My question: which games have this feature? Do all the new games have it?

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. Dave Marx

Ok thanks for that. But I have another question....

I am buying a Sony 36-inch HDTV. I plan to connect my X-BOX to the HD-component inputs. My TV is NOT the new 16:9 format...it is still 4:3. Will the picture be elongated or look strange because it is not 16:9? Will it take up the entire screen?

Thanks...

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Not at all David. The X-box can be placed in 4:3 or 16:9 mode in the console (ie options screens). If you leave it in 4:3 you will get a prefectly proportionate image. No need to worry there. Your X-box games will look great on a 4:3 set (especially if your using component or an S-video connection).

5. Dave Marx

Thanks for the reply. If I leave the X-BOX setting as 4:3, will it look as good (hi-def) as if I put it in 16:9? What are the differences as far as quality and resolution? It's an HDTV set, but the 16:9 display will be letterbox and personally, I prefer playing games in fullscreen format. I suspect the resolution will be better in 16:9?