What's new

Which PS2 should I buy..and why? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so there are many versions of the PS2 from it's inception up to now. Which version should I pick up and why? Looking for opinions based on experience. The slim Playstation2 go for around $130 in stores right now, and there are all sorts of combinations available used from the older FAT version with lots of games, memory and HDD to newer modded slim players. I want to pick up a PS2 simply because they are fairly cheap and it would be fun to play on my projector.

Here are my qualifiers and questions:

1) I want to connect it to my widescreen projector using at the very least 480p via component or VGA cable.
2) I want to play multi-player games, especially split screen games.

I honestly don't know what I need in terms of HDD capability and/or memory.

A) How limited am I if I have a machine that is without a HDD?
B) Can you mod the newer Slim models to use a HDD using the USB port or something?
C) How many games are you un-able to play using the slim version?
D) Is memory for saving progress and scores to continue a game later?

Please let me know the differences you are aware of and what you figure you would do if you were going to pick up a PS2 now.

thanx,

:)

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
I love the PS2 and all but do your projector a favor and look into HD gaming with PC, XBOX360 or Playstation 3.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, maybe I could just use my PC...but...my video card right now is a Geforce2 GTS..so it would cost just as much for a reasonable video card as it would for a PS2. I am not into games enough to grab an XBOX360 or PS3....that is, unless somebody can convince me that the Blu-Ray capabilities of the PS3 are awesome.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

A) There are only a couple of games in N. America that support the HDD: SOCOM 3 (for downloadable maps) and Final Fantasy XII. The HDD is, for the most part, unnecessary for the majority of owners.
B) The slimline PS2 offers no support for the HDD.
C) The list of incompatible games can be found here.
D) You will definitely need a memory card (purchased separately) for game saves. The MSRP is ~$25, but it can be found for less online (I've had good experiences on eBay for these)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Cool. Thanx. So connecting to my widescreen projector I will have a pillarboxed image, right?

So far I can't see why I would bother to search out the FAT version unless it is easy to find.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator

I just wanted to correct your statement. The slimline PS2 models werent the only ones to support progressive scan for DVD movies. The older model released late in the PS2 life span had progressive scan too. It was the one that came in the box with the Plus sign on the top corner. Model was the SCPH-50001. Other things that were different about this model was they took away the firewire port and added a built-in-infrared sensor. The progressive scan was sub-par compared since I think it was mostly software based. I am 100% sure about this because I replaced my gen 1 PS2 with this one and then I upgraded to a Panasonic XP30. But pertinant to this post, brand new the only PS2 available would be the slim model, but you can buy the older one on ebay I'm sure.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The one plus that comes to mind for the original PS2 is that video game enhancement products (such as Action Replay Max or CodeBreaker) are supported; in addition to cheats and unlocking features, these devices will also allow you to install and backup game saves to USB thumb drives (a considerably cheaper option than purchasing multiple Memory Cards). I admit that I have used CodeBreaker 9.0 on occasion for backing up my game saves and the occasional cheat :D .

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Tuan:
The info regarding progressive-scan support for the SCPH-50001 is correct. I assumed that Chris was considering a new unit and the likelihood of him finding a new, factory-sealed SCPH-5xxxx unit off the shelf was next to nil, which was why I omitted to mention this (that, plus the fact that the PS2 has seen at least 14 hardware revisions during the course of its product life cycle ;) )

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Not looking to play dvd's with the unit, I have far too many dvd players as it is. I just wondered what progressive game output it had. Can the game output in widescreen resolution? I guess it does only for widescreen games? Not all games can be output in widescreen then?

I suppose for 4:3 games I could always use my panamorph lens vertically to stretch the 4:3 images vertically after I stretch them horizontally. I just don't want to waste my lcd projector panel and lamp on pillarboxing :)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Chances are good that games published within the past couple of years will at least offer either 480p support or widescreen support, or in some cases, both (God Of War, Gran Turismo 4, Tekken 5 and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect all support 480p progressive scan and 16:9 widescreen; Gran Turismo 4 even offers a 1080i mode). There are some exceptions to the rule, e.g. gameplay may be in widescreen, but the menu isn't (as is the case with Tekken 5). If a game supports a widescreen mode, it's likely to be listed on the back of the game's package (along with other features and/or accessory requirements, e.g. MultiTap). With a library of over 1400 games, I'm sure you'll find something you like in widescreen. ;)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Another plus that can be had with the original (i.e., "fat") PS2 is that one can do some ;) ;) "stuff" w/ a PS2 Network Adapter, a PATA (i.e., IDE) hard drive (although any capacity can be used, PS2 can only recognize up to 120 GB), and a product called HD Loader (or one of its variants).

I won't go into details 'cuz I don't know if discussion of it would be allowed here on HTF...PM if you're curious.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
...don't worry dudes, I know exactically what you be talkin' bout' ;) For the most part, I will not be playing many games anyhow, so rental and buying the odd game may be the way to go.

If I did go for a FAT version, how much should I pay for an older FAT and which one should I look for and which should I avoid? Is there a FAT version which is particularly trouble-some or problematic due to omissions or other issues ?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
EB and Gamestop sell refurbished units for prices between $100 - 110; auction sites (eBay, Yahoo, etc.) should offer better prices.

I don't know if there any particular model numbers that are more problematic than others, seeing as most user experiences, both good and bad, tend to be anecdotal. The unit I bought at launch still works perfectly (I bought a silver slimline for two reasons: i) as a backup should the original fail, and ii) it matches the rest of my HT gear); others haven't been so lucky and are on their second or third unit. More than anything, I think it's the luck of the draw when it comes to buying used consoles.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well I was given a PS2 slim from Best Buy for Christmas so I am not sure what I am going to do. I could return it and use the cash to buy accesories and games and go find myself a used FAT or just use the slim I have.

Anywhere I can download freeware games to burn onto to CDRW and try out? I didn't receive any games with the unit.

Anybody know where good Fat version deals can be found? I am looking but they are only found used.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Didn't some/many of the older FAT versions (i.e., ones manufactured early in the release cycle) have laser-related issues when reading blue-coated (i.e., non-DVD PS2 or PS1) game discs? I think there was some sort of ballyhoo--if not minor recall--about it; there could be some older ones still floating around that have not had the laser repair done to it. This might be an issue, as there are still quite a few PS2 games--and all PS1 games--that are not on DVD.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, if I go ahead with trying a PS2 I will likely just keep the slim.

Will a couple of 8 MB memory cards be ok to start out with?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have both the fat and the Slim and I have had no issues with either at all. New or old games, regardless of disc color, but my "fatty" was a later production model. My brother had 2 earlier ones and they both had issues. Progressive scan looks good on both of them, with a slight edge going to the slim to be honest.

Yes, you will want at least 2 8m cards. Also, I'd get the Logitech wireless controllers, I have 2 and they really are excellent controllers. I like them better than the PS2 and PS3 controllers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks