Which Projector to Buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karl Schuster, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Karl Schuster

hello everyone [​IMG]
    I am currently onto my second LCD Projector (upgraded the first one)and running a SONY DVD770 and a 120inch Dalite Screen. I intend to upgrade my screen to a fixed Widescreen of around 240 inches.
    I want to purchase a new projector (DLP, CRT) and was looking for feedback as to which one to buy. I live in Australia and am looking to spend upto US$12000
    I have looked at (any really liked) the following:
    Dreamvision Moviestar Plus
    Dreamvision Moviestar (Favourite for money)
    Dreamvision Starlight
    I have also looked at a SONY VPLVW10HT, I know a lot of people really like this projector, but I did not think that it was any better than my current one. (any thoughts anyone)
    Has anyone got experience with the Dreamvision Range, or does someone have a better idea (Sony, NEC, Davis etc)
    Any/All comments would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Karl Schuster on October 28, 2001 at 11:08 PM]

2. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I have a Sony 10HT and am pretty happy with it, although the newer projectors at the

3. Karl Schuster

Hey Michael, thanks for the reply Mate [​IMG]
    What Runco did your friend have?
    And if you were to replace your 10HT today, what would you buy?
    I looked at www.sharp-usa.com, the spec's for the XV-Z9000U looked alright. I shall try to demo one. (if available in OZ).
    Anyone else with any comments?
    What about the replacement to the VPLVW10HT?

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Hi Karl-
    My friend is using a Stewart 6' x 11' Studiotek 1.3 Gain Screen, 2 Runco 980 Ultra Projectors stacked, and a Faroudja DVP3000 Digital Video Processor for his video. I saw the Sony 11HT at CEDIA, and although was definitely poorly set up, was unimpressed by it. I am not sure if they made any marked improvements to it. I have heard a few positive comments on it though. I saw the Sharp (although hurriedly) and the new Seleco HT-300 when I was in Indianopolis. They were both very impressive to my eyes, but the Seleco MSRP is $15K.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

5. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

I have seen posts on this and other forums for more than a year now about front projectors as I was searching for the best digital projector for my new HT. The general consensus on the Dreamvision DLP's is that they are overpriced for what you get, and that there are many better alternatives. This is not my opinion per se (although I was not impressed at the Dreamvision DLP's I saw at the 2001 CES); but I have seen this expressed many times. You might try a search on the AVS Forum, or also post this question there on their LCD, DLP, D-ILA Forum, to see if you can get some further insight. BTW, I have heard good things about the new Sharp. On the other hand, if you can spend up to $10,000, you might also want to consider the JVC G-15 D-ILA.

6. Karl Schuster

Thanks Phil [​IMG]
    for your information.
    I do have a concern about the lack of people selling and promoting the Dreamvision product. Does not seem to be mainstream at all.
    I shall try and find out some info on the jvc you mentioned.