which projector? sharp Vs I.F.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan Yo, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

i was originally gonna buy the Sharp XV-Z12000 DLP projector, but some one told me about the new In Focus ScreenPlay 7210. they both have a resolution of 1280x720. the sharp projector has a higher contrast, but is it only in high contrast mode or are there other modes? the in focus has Zeiss lenses, but are they actually really that good or is it just marketing?

can anyone help?

2. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

You may also want to consider the Toshiba MT700 or the BenQ7700, which are also 1280x720 DLP projectors. (Toshiba just being released right now, while BenQ is about a month out.)

3. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

i will check those out, but i really dunno what alot of the specs mean. can anyone help me out? which is a better performer?

4. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

Yes, there are a lot of people here that can offer you advice about which is the better performer.

Unfortunately, they all disagree... [​IMG]

On a slightly more serious note, projector performance is a very individual and subjective thing. I'm a big fan of DLPs such as the BenQ 8700+, but I had decided they were out of my price range. However, the next generation of these machines, the BenQ7700 or Toshiba MT700, look to be very similar in performance, and prices are going to be MUCH lower. (The Toshiba hit the street this week at prices well below MSRP, basically splitting the difference between the 8700+ and the Panasonic AE700.) Others prefer LCD projectors because they have a problem with "rainbow effect" (which affects about 2% of the population or so - probably much less with newer projectors) on DLP machines.

In general, DLP projectors tend to have better contrast ratios (the difference between "really white" and "really black") and a more "film-like" experience than LCD machines do - although that rule is firmly set in Jello. LCD machines, on the other hand, are to the point where they can serve very admirably in contrast ratio and the like, and they don't suffer from rainbow effect.

Be very careful taking manufacturers' specs at face value. Panasonic advertises the AE700 as having 2000:1 contrast ratios and 1000 ANSI lumens brightness. That puts it right up in the ballpark with the BenQ 8700+. However, apparently when calibrated properly the actual light output is really around 300-400 lumens, and the contrast ratios are a fair bit lower than advertised. (Don't get me wrong. I think the AE700 is a very good projector, and I would have purchased one if my theater was done a month or two ago. All manufacturers are guilty to some extent of using "laboratory" specs instead of real world specs - some more than others. I just use the Panasonic as an illustrative example.)

As you study to determine which projector you want, read these forums, look at projectorcentral.com, go see some demos if you can... and then make an informed decision.

If you do all this in the next few weeks, be sure to let me know what your experience is so that I can learn from you. [​IMG]

I hope my ramblings are at least somewhat helpful. Please keep in mind, though, that I'm still really a novice myself. I'm just summarizing some of what I've read and researched. Be sure to take the advice of others here as well.

5. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

you're awesome. i will be gone for all of this weekend and next week so i will not have much time to research. i will be in europe for spring break, WOOT!!!! [​IMG]
    i will get my brother to do the research and i will write a review in the projector we buy so others can learn a bit.
    again, thanks alot!