1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Progressive Scan DVD players can "pillar-box" 4x3 material for a 16x9 set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Burk, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    I'm searching for a progressive scan DVD player that can display my 4x3 titles in the center of my 16x9 tv, with gray bars at either side; my TV forces the progressive scan inputs to 16x9. I understand some Toshiba's can do this, but I'd like to look at all my options before committing.

I've searched for any discussions on the subject, since I can't be the first to struggle with this, but couldn't find anything.

Oh, and being able to shuffle play a disc of MP3's (with folders) would be a nice bonus!

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Do a search on "scaling" or "lock in full mode" in this forum and you'll probably find a few threads.

AFAIK, none of the players will put up grey side bars, but black ones for 4x3 fullscreen DVDs. For letterboxed DVDs, they can scale to 16x9 so they look like 16x9 DVDs.

IIRC, the only players that can do this are the Toshiba's, Panny RP91, the JVC's and the Malata's. There might be one or two others I overlooked--maybe Denon(?). If you're looking at the JVC's, stick w/ last year's models. The new JVC 500 model seems to only work when the DVD is properly flagged as non-16x9 although I've heard that some modded region-free units provide a workaround. For example, Titanic is not flagged properly. Actually, last year's JVC's do require a workaround in such cases also, but at least it's doable.

_Man_

3. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pioneer Elite DV-47A & it has a compressed mode that displays Full Screen DVDs in the middle of a 16x9 TV with black on the sides. You can still use the progessive mode on the DVD player in this mode even if your TV locks in full mode with a progressive signal. I use it all the time.

It works for non-anamorphic DVDs also so you can use progressive scan on the DVD player for non-anamorphic DVDs.

4. Ravi Chopra

Ravi Chopra Auditioning

I went through this same search myself just recently since I too have a TV that locks full when fed progressive.

Unfortunately, none of the players using the two current best-in-class chips (Sage/Faroudja and Silicon Image) can pillar-box a progressive image.

Toshiba makes players that will do it, but I was switching from a Toshiba SD6200 which, despite it's many great features, combed like crazy on less-than-perfect material and has the chroma bug.

From my research, it appears that the Panasonic RP91 may be the best player available right now that will play a 4:3 signal properly on full-lock HDTVs. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive for a dated player and still has the older Genesis chipset which is not supposed to be as good as the two top ones mentioned above.

My solution was to get the Panasonic RP72 and simply use interlaced mode when watching 4:3 material. The interlaced picture on the S/F-based Panasonic players is truly spectacular - certainly as good as my old Toshiba's progressive picture.

good luck
    -Ravi Chopra

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hi, Ravi.

I'm not sure, but isn't the Toshiba 6200 quite old though? Doesn't seem fair to dismiss Toshiba players based on a 2-year-old(?) player, no?

I'm also shopping for a player, but it'd seem to me that if I get a Panny RP82 or CP72, then I'd have to either watch non-16x9 DVDs "window-boxed" OR use the TV's zoom mode to fill the width of the screen. Neither sounds like it'd be better than using a decent player w/ scaling capability.

To me, it just doesn't seem like an easy choice unless you have relatively few non-16x9 DVDs to begin w/.

_Man_

6. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

7. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator