What's new

Which Prince album should I buy? (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
Recently I began digging some of the Prince songs I had heard on Pandora, and I thought I might pick up one of his albums. Well I started to do my research and I realized that this is not such a simple proposition! Aparrently he has about 25 albums, almost one per year since 1978. All the songs that I liked were from different albums. A few of them were "I Can't Make U Love Me" and "Good Love." I can tell you I most definitley did not like his recent "Black Sweat" song. So, is there any album that is considered the "definitive" Prince album? I don't want to have to stoop to a greatest hits compilation.

Thanks,
Kyle

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I still think his best albums are early ones with "1999" and "Purple Rain" my favorites. He has several compilations and based on your statement, despite not wanting to stoop to a compilation, the one that has the most songs you like is probably what you want. He should be considered one of the best 2 or 3 rock performers of the past 25 years but I guess he is too weird to rate as high as he should. He is pretty diverse so definitive isn't easy. I don't think people that like his most recent work are too fond of his early work and vice versa.

Chris

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sign O The Times is without doubt his best album and most rewarding for long term repeat listening. However, most of his early output has its rewards. I'd endorse buying a greatest hits album and then dipping into the period that you most like.

However, even then, don't expect to like everything on an album. A 'problem' with Prince is that his output is too diverse. Thus, if you like his more pop-oriented work like Little Red Corvette, this is no guarantee that you'll like the more soul-flavoured stuff like Pink Cashmere.

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator
Get "1999", "purple rain" and "Sign'o'the times" and you are done. Don't look back (like Dylan in the movies).

cwhite

Second Unit
Good recommendations but "Dirty Mind" represents the best music Prince did before becoming a giant superstar.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I would like to recommend "1999" also. The album is great. Besides the obvious hits like the title track and "Little Red Corvette", you also have stuff like "D.M.S.R" (which was used in a party scene in "Risky Business"), "Lady Cab Driver" (which is sexy in a weird way) and "Free (A sterling ballad that's sounds sad but is terrifically uplifting).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I actually quoted lyrics from "Free" in my yearbook quote column when I graduated high school in 2001.

KyleK

Second Unit
Looks like 1999 and Purple Rain is the consensus, although I might have to get a greatest hits as well just to get an overall sampling. Thanks guys, and anyone with different ideas feel free to chime in. How is the album Crystal Ball? I've heard a few songs off that which I liked.

Incidentally, is the movie Purple Rain worth watching?

Kyle

Well....you have two choices...
Prince and the Revolution (70's and 80's) or Prince and the New Power Generation (90's). I think his most recent stuff he is actually back with the Revolution. I noticed alot of people suggested 1999, Purple Rain, and Sign of the Times. My personal fav recently have been Parade: Under the Cherry Moon soundtrack. While not bad suggestions, don't sleep on his new Power Gen material either. Songs such as "Get Off", "Cream", and "Sexy MF" are pretty good in thier own right.
Overall if I were you I'd get the 3 disk compilation he came out with several years ago. It covers alot of tunes plus rare B-Side material. I know you said you didn't want to stoop to buying a compilation but it does cover alot of bases.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Apollonia is beautiful beyond imagination and the music is good so from that standpoint I like it. Just thinking about what music of his I like makes me realize more how great this guy is. What a nut though, that changes his name to a symbol of something that I couldn't pronounce or even recognize.

Chris

Dave>h

Second Unit
Let me just start by saying, I really love Prince, so I am biased.

I think the suggestions of sign o the times, 1999, Purple Rain are spot on. Three of the best. However, Daimonds and Pearls is also a gem and honestly, the best cd he has put out in a decade is Musicology, which is absolutely brilliant and very accessable. I would put it up there with Purple Rain or Sign, and trust me, that is saying a lot.

As I said, I am a long time fan and think the guy is a musical genius (and he doesn't have a thing for a little boys so even if he is a bit odd, he has that going for him).

Dave

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I highly recommend Sign O the Times.

It's very eclectic and mostly done well. And mostly without the dated 80s pop sound (I realize that some of that is great too, including many Prince hits but this is just a great album).

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Sign O the Times is my fave. Also Purple Rain, 1999, Dirty mind, Diamond and Pearls, and Musicology

cwhite

Second Unit

Crystal Ball is pretty good for the material that is-outtakes from the symbol album, extended jams and a couple of live tracks(mine had a 4th disc of acoustic material). But do yourself a favor and seek out "Dirty Mind". The 3-disc compilation disc is fine, too but it does not have the highly regarded 12-inch mixes of the B-sides.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Not too many pop music stars can be labeled as genius but I would agree this guy is. I have been a fan for over 20 years, although I don't have a good feel for what he is going to do going forward.

Chris

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
No love for Controversy?

It's no Purple Rain or Sign 'O' the Times, but it's right up there with Dirty Mind and 1999, in my opinion. . .

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The Hits/The B-Sides is a must for disc 3. There are some gems on there. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore is the best b-side he ever did.

Pretty much agree with the concensus... 1999, Purple Rain & Sign 'O' The Times. SOTT is every bit as good as 1999 & PR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks