What's new

Which preamp for ECM8000 ref microphone used for ETF? (1 Viewer)

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if some of you using ETF could suggest a low cost preamp (less that $100 hopefully) that I could use with the Behringer ECM8000 semi-reference mic. I already have the mic which I use with my DEQ2496 so I don't want to upgrade that right now.

I have seen the ART Tube MP OPL for about $50 but I don't know if the tube amplification would affect the signal. Are these preamps fairly flat or will they completely mess up the semi-flat response of the ECM resulting in really bad data?

Recommendations and advice would be really appreciated

Thanks,

J

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Behringer UB1002. Ruler flat FR, low noise. Three gain stages on the line input - mic, line level, and main mix. I have recommended settings.

I don't use this rig anymore, but I still have it and it served me well.

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Edward,

Thanks for the idea. Is that a one channel preamp?
What are you using now if not ETF?

J

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
No, it's a mixing board with phantom power. The mixing board adds some challenges because you have a few gain stages to deal with and you don't want to overload any gain stage or the soundcard. Other than that, pretty simple to use.

I measured the FR of that unit and it's extremely flat - no need for correction factors. The ECM8k will need CFs down low, but from 20-18,000 Hz it should be better than +/- 1 dB. If you do get the mic calibrated, I thought Kim Girardin did a good job for me.

I meant I'm not currently using the ECM8k/UB1002 rig. I still use ETF-5 and TrueRTA.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ed:

Another inexpensive option is the Rolls MP13, which is a single channel Mic preamp and does a very good job.

I use this combo for room measurements with Meridian Room Correction, and I'm just getting started with ETF and TrueRTA.

Cheers,

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I would imagine a single channel mic preamp with phantom power and one gain control would be the easiest to use and the most direct signal path. Good suggestion, John.

I'm currently using a battery powered mic, which makes life easy. :)

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Would I have any issues if I used the ART Tube MP OPL? It looks like a pretty nice preamp for cheap?

Also, given that the ECM8000 has a -37dBV/Pa level will this need to be set very precisely in order for ETF to return good results?

Thanks John for the suggestion.. I'll look into that one also. So far I am leaning towards the UB802 (1 down from the UB1002) if the ART will not work. Do you think the Rolls would be quieter than the Behringer?

James

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
James:

Too much distortion for taking measurements. You want absolutely minimal distortion and noise, and (in all honesty) tube preamps are not it.

I believe that both ETF and TrueRTA strongly recommend against their use for these reasons.

Note that taking measurements is a different goal than making recordings :D

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks