What's new

Which pre/pro has the best processor capabilities? (1 Viewer)

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this isn't too subjective but being somewhat ignorant of what's available on the market in the way of seperates I was just curious as to what model(s) have the best processing capabilities. In this I mean, who has the full scale DTS, THX, yadda, yadda, yadda compliment?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Th catch here is.. how do you define best?

Sonically, the best out there don't necessarily have all the available formats. Personally, I'd rather have better overall sonics than worrying about decoding the handful of DTS 24/96K titles out there. The same goes for DTS:Neo, which I find to be inferiour to other options out there.

IMO, best out there sonically would have to be
Meridian 568.2/861 (Ambisonics and Trifield)
Lexicon MC-8/MC-12 (Logic-7)

Others will likely disagree with my selections.

Regards,

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
You might want to post your budget. I'll agree with the Meridian and the Lexicon, but they aren't exactly what the average Joe can afford.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've already purchased my speakers. I wanted to stay below the $2k spot for pre/pro and amp and have been looking hard at the Outlaw combo's but wanted to keep all options open and have been researching different components alot. There's some gear out there I'd prefer but because of where I live I can't, meaning I have to buy from a "dealer" or used. I've contacted those companies and have filed complaints and have requested info on dealers I can buy from but my requests have been ignored.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
I happen to agree with Arthur, go with Lexicon. Lexicon has a solid name in the pro audio market and they celebrate their 30th birthday this year. Follow this link to view the MC-1, (music cinema-1). It decodes DTS and Dolby Digital and loads the THX enhancements. One thing I like most about this A/V/Preamp/Processor is it's L7, (Logic 7 mode). In L7 you get a 7.1 discrete (8-channel) processing providing a 360 degree sound field. Most Lexicon users keep it in that mode to get independent panning of side and rear surround effects.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...y=Lexicon+MC-1

gregD

Second Unit
At $2k, there are few choices for separates... Outlaw would be the frontrunner -- and it is an excellent performer on movies... some (including me) may warn you that it sounds a little 'bright' for music, but that can be a matter of taste and speaker matching... and you can audition the Outlaw for 30 days.

If music quality is a concern, you might consider Rotel... and in the interest of staying close to budget, their RSX-1055 receiver is arguably indistinguishable from their RSP-1066 pre-pro, yet comes with a tuner and costs less ($1300 msrp)... used as a pre-pro, you could mate it with any outboard amp... and the power amp is the one component that is a good bet bought used, though you don't seem interested in used gear.

The next step up in separates pretty much doubles your budget.

If the budget is firm, $2k can also get you a very substantial receiver, at which point there will be quite a few more choices and accessibility if you lack retailers in your area.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
If your talking about procesing for allthe formats then I think they're all gonna be pretty close to having the same at that price point.
The Lexicons' are tuff to beat, but then you'll be buying older to stay it that price point.
If your considering Outlaw (which is a fine choice) I would try Adcom as well. Their 860 is pretty new and should be pretty good.
http://www.adcom.com/Default.htm

If you're looking for better sound check out Audio Refinments' new-ish pre/pro. It just got a good review in stereophile's "Guide to Home Theater". They said it lacks some of the normal "tricks of the trade", for home theater, but its sound is above the others in it's price class.

http://www.audiorefinement.com/

Anyway just some thoughts. Good luck, take your time and most important...use your own ears to decide.

Nick V

Second Unit
From what I understand, the Adcom lacks the processing for DTS-ES (matrix and discrete) along with Dolby Digital-EX. All they have is their proprietary 7.1 algorithm.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
What about the Integra DTC-9.4 pre/pro, anybody buy/audition one of these yet. I'd like to hear any reviews if anyone has one of these yet. I'm seriously considering one of these and am finding it hard thus far to find one to audition. Features and spec's are unbelievable.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
For that budget the Rotel 1066/1075 combo is the one to beat for both HT and music. If you want a tuner and to save a little get the 1055 instead of the 1066 and you'll be good to go. the older lexicon's are great for movies but they lack true 5.1 inputs for SACD and DVD-A and have older DAC's that don't sound as good for 2 channel.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
"the older lexicon's are great for movies but they lack true 5.1 inputs for SACD and DVD-A and have older DAC's that don't sound as good for 2 channel.", (Andrew Pratt).

Are you refering to pre MC-12? What models lack a good sounding DAC , or true, discrete 5.1 inputs: the CP-1, DC-1, or DC-2, MC-1? If you have factual information to support this claim thru a web link, review in a HT magazine, or any comments made by pro users please post them.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

Neither of the DC-1, MC-1 or DC-2 have 5.1 inputs. There's a workaround that gives an analog bypass mode for stereo that could work for some though. I don't have any familiarity with the CP-1, but doubt that it has a 5.1 bypass either.

As far as sonics go, that's a purely subjective item, and I'm sure there are examples to find for and against Lexicon processors as 2-channel products.

Regards,

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
John, thank you. In retro spec I wasn't even thinking. They all have 5.1, (actually 7.1) OUTPUTS, not inputs. All of the Lexicons I have heard have that recording studio quality sound to them. But I agree, it is subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks