Which polks?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Keith*D, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

I bought some polk stuff before I really got into HT at a great price, and now I want to replace my towers. I found (as has everyone else) great prices at Circuit City, so I am going to buy either Rti100 or 150's at $160 or $220 ea. respectivly.

I am sure the 150's are better, but I only have the HK AVR2225 reciever, so will I have enough power to do the 150 justice, or should I save some money and use the powered 100.
    These are the only options, this is HT only, and I already have the CSi40 center. I don't need more bass, and the high end seems the same for both, so what should I do? As of now I am leaning towards saving money?

Also there are some RT25i speakers on ebay, would they be overpowered by my center? Thanks!

Keith

2. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

A lot of people don't like the 100's due to their lack of midrange, which is crucial to movie watching. The 150's are definitely more pronounced in that area, and I think the bass response is a little better than the 100's, even though they have the built in powered subs. The $220 price tag on the 150's is incredible, and you should not hesitate to grab them. If I had the money, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. But, I'm more than satisfied with my new setup(Polk RTi38's up front, the CSi30 center, and FXi30's on surround duty. It only cost me $420, which is CHEAP! That system would have cost me about $1000 just a few months ago. How is the CSi40? I really want to trade in my 30 when the price goes down on it. Well, good luck, and I hope you're happy with whatever you end up getting. Take care.

3. JamesKr

JamesKr Agent

I had the RTi38's and CSi30 and I traded them at CC for RTi70's and CSi40. There is a very big improvement in sound with these.

4. Gary G

Gary G Auditioning

i have the rti100's...if i could have bought the 150's for that price i would have jumped on it..but im happy with the 100's, my reciever is just a jvc 7030 but works well with the 100's

5. JerryCulp

JerryCulp Stunt Coordinator

Tommy, I went and traded my CSi30 for a CSi40. Figuring it will drop in the 30 day return period and I'll just PM. It if doesnt, well I've had month to enjoy it and I'll write off the extra $150 to that.

IMHO, the 40 matches the RTi150's better than the 30 did. I think it would overpower the Rti38's. When I hooked the 40 up my center channel was set at "0" for the 30, I had to lower it to "-3" to calibrate it.

The 40 seems to extend the sound stage alot more than the 30 did. I have a couch, a chair and a love seat all in a line about 10 feet from the TV. With the 30 the sound was getting thin at the outside seats. The 40 can handle it.

OTOH, a strong center is not necesssarily a bad thing....

Okay, I just realized that I can test this for you. I still have the Rti38's and they are still set up, I just needed to move the speaker wires from the 150's to the 38's.

The 40 takes a prominent role when matched with the 38's. It's not bad, and if you didnt like it you could just amp up the left and right channels. Sonically I think it is about as close a match as the 30 is. They arent the same, but I dont think one is worse that the other. The 40 actually matches the 38's better then the it does the 150's.

I say get the 40 and try it back to back with the 30, and take back the loser.

6. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

Well went back and looked and the 150 had been dropped and badly damaged. The corner had MDF showing through and was flattened out. The 100's were perfect, and sound perfect in my apartment! Midrange sounds SLIGHTLY weaker than the R50's I had, but ok for a college kid budget.

Tommy - The 40 is great because can run it large and it REALLY makes low voices stand out, it is a blast to listen to, and I think it sounds great just playing Norah Jones in Dolby Music (only mention b/c I am doing that now.) I agree that it may overpower the 38's, but aren't the drivers a perfect match between the 38 and 40? I say try it, now is the best time to look for one a Circuit City.

Thanks guys, there will be plenty of questions now that I have stopped lurking.

Keith

7. MarkyM

MarkyM Agent

I currently have the CSi30 which is fine for movies..
    but when pushed really hard listening to music using
    DLPII or NEO 6 it doesn't keep up with my RTi70
    I really cant upgrade to CSi40 because this speaker is just too large for my room...but never say never....

8. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

Next week I'm going to trade in the CSi30 for the 40. I do agree, the 30 is really good for movies, but I want something just a little bigger and better. The 40 has the exact same woofer as the RTi38, so I think it would be a better match than the CSi30.

9. JerryCulp

JerryCulp Stunt Coordinator

The drivers are the same size as the 38's, not sure if they are the same drivers.

I think you'll like the 40, and you'll be surprised by how much more efficient it is compared to the 38's.

I just looked online, and CC is showing that my local stores are out of them. I wonder if they have started the in-store closeout pricing.