What's new

Which Polk's for my room? (1 Viewer)

Nevin

Agent
I'm looking for some new front speakers. Right now I'm using two Jamo E800's and would like to move them to the rear and get some different fronts with a bit more bass. My living room is fairly large, at 22' wide and about 30' long, so there's a lot of air to push. Would you guys recommend a pair of the LSI9's or the RTI70's? I've heard the LSI's have better clarity and accuracy, but I was afraid they might be too small for the room. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
Both speakers are really great, with the LSI's being exceptional. I don't necessarily think the 9s would be at a disadvantage in the "room filling" capacity. I've heard them in a room not too far off from what you have and I was very impressed.

The main consideration would be the power source you will be using to drive them. The LSI series is nominally rated at 4ohms and it definetly dips below that. I've seen them shut down a Pioneer Elite 49txi receiver on heavy bass passages because they were putting too much demand on the receiver. I'd highly recommend separate components to pair with the LSI series if you want to really make them sing.

Personally, I own RTIs all the way around and am very pleased with the setup. They don't have quite the pristine clarity of the LSI series, but they are a fine speaker in their own right.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
The Lsi9 is a great speaker, the sound quality is nothing short of spetacular! I've got a pair for 2 channel system and am very pleased with their performance. Eric is right on the mark with regards to the need for proper amplification. The Lsi speakers really do need a decent amp to perform to their full potential.

Nevin

Agent
Well, I'm using a Denon 1803, and the Jamo's are also 4 ohm. Am I going to have enough power? I didn't think the Lsi's would be that inefficient. And thanks for the help.

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
You could probably *run* them, but not for extended periods of time and you certainly couldn't run them to their potential. Your receiver is much better suited to the RTI series. And the 1803 is a good match with the RTIs. I'd get them and not look back, unless you want to completely overhaul your system.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The LSI no contest.Besides power they also need some time to break in,more then my previous Def Techs,by a large margin.On the bass note, these speakers need to be high passed at 80hz or so[IMO]so a sub is mandatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks