What's new

Which Polk Speaker Package Would You Choose? (1 Viewer)

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer VSX-D908S AV receiver with a Pioneer 563-A DVD player. My speakers are from an old Pioneer HTP. The sub is not powered and the surrounds are 55 watts. Any upgrade will definately be an improvement.

I am considering either of these:

Polk RM6600 with PSW450 sub: $700 with free shipping at Crutchfield.com

Polk RM6700 with PSW404 sub: $750 including tax at Circuit City

I plan to purchase four speaker stands for the speakers. Any suggestions on which stands I should purchase.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bobby

Ian_Woods

Agent
Robert I am also looking at some new speakers (swans diva 6.1) and know how dificalt it is .What helped me cut out a lot of the riff raff was to go onto e bay and have a look what people are throwing away .Anyway sorry I can't help a bit more but good luck to you

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ian,

That's a great idea! I have been looking on eby for the speakers that I am intersted in but I didn't think about your idea of looking to see what junk is out there so I will have an idea of what to avoid. I will give it a try.

Robert

Jack Keck

Second Unit
You might want to see what your local Circuit City or the CC website will sell you four RTi28s, a CSi20 or CSi30 center and a sub for. I have been a Polkie since 1979. I imagine either of the sets you are looking at will be fine, withthe edge to the 7600, but if my suggestion is doable, it would be the best. Theses speakers are being discontinued, so whatever is left is being heavily discounted. The RTi28s and their predecessors, the RTi25shave received some rave reviews from some pretty respected places, e. g., Stereophile. Several people here have Polks and have testified to their quality.

Hope you enjoy whatever you finally select

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I would have to agree w/ Jack - the RTi speakers would be FAR FAR superior over those Sat/Bookshelf speakers that you're getting. I would try to spend my sub money somewhere other than the Polk Subs as the subwoofer does not need to match the rest of your speakers.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed, I have the R50's up front, R20's in the back, CSi30 in center and a PSW303. I would have got a different sub, but I actually won this one from Polk on their monthly survey! Couldn't believe it, completely free and it was at my doorstep withing a week. I love my setup too, sounds great. Much better than the sats I had before, fuller sound. BTW it all cost me about $450 at CC.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the recommendations.

Which sub would you recommend with the RTi28s and CSi20 or CSi30 center?

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this is not a polite answer, but I think is valid to have all opinions. I wont even consider to buy a set of Polk's, to me they sound muddy and their cabinets presents some resonances I don't like. Well, I can say the same about lots of others speakers, so this is not an "antipolk" post.

Is just that I prefer more detailed speakers. That said, the purpose of this post is to just leave the idea on the wind that maybe one should listen to lots of speakers before deciding exactly what we want (or like).

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Agreed w/ Manuel - I think a lot of people go for Polk initially b/c they hoard a lot of GoodGuys/CircuitCity floorspace.

I think it's the ignorance is bliss philosophy - where if you haven't heard any better, you'll be content with the best that you've heard. But that's what auditions are for. NOT at your local GG/CC though, try to find a true hifi store so you can actually listen to some speaker offerings that are not mass branded - then you might reconsider your choices.

But like I said above, if you have a strong desire for Polk, I would choose the RTI set - don't pick those R speakers as they are inferior to the RTis. And don't even consider the cubes.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I'll gladly admit to having heard better speakers than Polks, but not for the money, especially with the current blowout prices.

Trusst me, Robert, if you thought the sub-sat systems you heard sound good, you'll be thrilled with the RTi speakers.

I'm probably the last person to recomment subs, but depending on how much money you have left for one after you get the rest of the spekers, the Parts Express one for $125 should be good. This is a completely assembled sub. I don't remember the catalogue number, but if you look at www.partsexpress.com you should have no problem finding it. I've also heard the Adire Rava in a music only set-up and enjoyed it. It costs $399 plus shipping.

Check this thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=158282

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I was also looking at that same package you were looking at but I would look at Klipsch instead for that price range. May not be as good as music but for Home Theater the Klipsch sound much better. At the price range though the Polk sounds almost no better than the Klipsch at music though, but HT is much better than Polk with the Klipsch.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Actually anything that I get will sound good to me after what I have right now (a non-powered sub with no thump and weak surrounds). I will be heading to CC tonight to take a look at those Polk RTi28's. I read from another post that the Polk FXi-30 speakers were going for about $80 a piece and the RTi28's were going for about $60 a piece at CC.

Would it be better to use the Polk RTi28's for my 2 front speakers and use the FXi-30's for my back 2 speakers? I still havn't decided on a sub yet.

Thanks,
Robert

Guy Robinson

Agent
Well personally I would go with RTi70's up front with a CSi40 centre and RTi38's for the surrounds. Add a Velodyne, SVS etc etc sub but not a Polk. I have had Polk's for a few years now and for the money they beat most other speakers I have heard. Resonances? Don't hear any. Clarity? Hear a lot of that. I use mine mainly for DVD-Audio and SACD. I have had lots of fairly good equipment over the past 40 years and my current set-up is the best. I really hear nothing wrong with it which is a first for me.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Klipsch Quintet with a RSW-10 subwoofer and you'll have enough bass to kill a medium sized room.

Klipsch SB-1's are some nice bookshelves that will make a nice job out of everything for an even price. :)

Polk isn't bad, I like there subwoofers but for HT I think they lack too much. They are a more musical speaker, not so much HT.

Mark All

Second Unit
Polk isn't bad, I like there subwoofers but for HT I think they lack too much. They are a more musical speaker, not so much HT.
I couldn't disagree more. Polk's RTi line is good primarily for home theater use, adequate for music, and a great value even at their normal prices. Polk's bipole/dipole surrounds and center speakers are designed specifically for home theater use. Polk's LSi line is extraordinarily good for music. Polk's subwoofers are notoriously weak but accurate, good for music but not for home theater.

This is coming from a guy who's bought eight pairs, three center channels, and a subwoofer from Polk over the last few years (upgrades).

yung cheng

Grip
I auditioned Paradigm monitor series, B&W 600 series and KEF Q series before I bought my Polk RTi70.
Even there are many better speakers for sound quality, you just can't beat RTi series price especially now and you will hold the ticket for full refund upgrade in one year if you buy it from CC.
Just don't buy Polk's sub.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I've never heard a system with bi-pole or di-pole surrounds. I have a pair of KLH 911s ($60/pair at Worst Buys)that I use in the back and find them adequate. Thus I can't advies you on the advantages of the fx/30 surround speakers.

Now that we've probably totally confused you, you'll have to tell us what you decided on and how you like it.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Jack is right. I am totally confused but I have received some excellent feedback on this topic. I went to CC Friday afternoon to take a look and an ear at the Polk FXi30 speakers for surround, RTi28 for fronts, and the CSi30 center. I had read on some posts on this forum that CC was offering great prices but when I got to the store near my house in Charlotte I noticed that their prices were much higher than what I had read about. Prices must vary by location.

Anyway I took a listen and even though I liked the sound I figured that they were too large in size compared to the RM satellites. My wife hates the bookshelf speakers that I have now and they are even smaller than the FXi30 speakers.

While I was at CC I also looked at the Polk RM7200. I was very impressed by the appearance and sound coming from those tiny speakers. The speakers also seemed to be well built. The sub (PSW550)was very impressive in appearance but the bass coming out of it was OK. It did of course sound 100 times better than what I currently have.

I did notice that they had all of the speakers connected directly to the receiver and not the sub. They were using a Panasonic receiver and a Panasonic DVD player with DVD-Audio. This was actually their display for DVD-Audio which is also a good marketing tool for the RM7200 since the DVD-Audio sounded pretty good with Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over".

I have a limited budget and I don't want to pay retail price for a system like this so I am considering buying used if I can get a good price. I know that I have been advised to stay away from Polk subs but if I can find a complete package with a Polk PSW550 or PSW650 at a very good price I will probably consider it. The speakers that I have now are driving me mad and I would like to upgrade at minimal costs.

Thanks!

Jack Keck

Second Unit
OK. If you liked the 7200 system, see if they will sell it to you without the sub. Circuit City's website lists it for $1300. The sub lists for $650 on Polk's site. It might be interesting to see what CC will do. PRINT THE INFO FROM THE WEBSITE AND TAKE IT TO THE STORE. That's what I did. The one in my area had the higher prices, but kinda had to match the prices on the website.

If you can pull this off, then go to Parts Express and get that 300-632 sub. It might not be a world beater, but for $125 plus shipping, it should fit your needs. Like I said before, I have the old version and love it.

Mind you, 4 RTi28s and a CSi30 for CC's website should run you less than $500 plus shipping. The RTi 28s have a wall mounting bracket. I hope you know where your studs are. That plus the RTi speakers will be less than teh packages you originally askes about and would leave you with enough to get some nice stands for the front speakers.

SAF (spouse approval factor, AKA wife approval factor) can hinder the best of plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks