1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Polk LSi to go with?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Christian B, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Christian B

Christian B Agent

Looking to get some Polk LSi speakers due to getting a discount on them where I work. I will be using an HK AVR 230 as a pre/pro and running a Marantz MM9000 (150x5 @ 8 ohms) on the Polks. What I want to know is should I go with LSi9s up front or go with the full-range towers, the LSi15s? In the specs it seems the 15s would handle midrange a little better, due to having all the bass given to the 8" driver while the dual 5.25" pick up 150hz and above. The LSi9s don't have a HPF (high pass filter) and one handles all low range up to 200hz and the other takes all low-mids up to 2.4khz.

Also if I get the 15s I'm thinking of bi-amping them and running the last channel to the center. The way my townhouse is setup it's going to be VERY hard to get rears to work so I was just thinking of doing a 3.1 setup. I listen to music 80% of the time anyhow and it reall wouldn't hurt me to not have rears.

***This taken off Polks site to maybe help you guys understand the crossovers better***

POLK LSi15s:
    Driver 1: HPF at 150Hz 6dB/oct, LPF at 800Hz 12dB/oct.
    Driver 2: HPF at 150Hz 6dB/oct, LPF at 2.4kHz 12dB/oct.
    Tweeter: HPF 2.4kHz 18dB/oct.
    Crossover(subwoofer) LPF at 150Hz 12dB/oct.

POLK LSi9s:
    Driver 1: LPF at 200Hz 12dB/oct.
    Driver 2: LPF at 2.4kHz, 12 dB/oct.
    Tweeter: HPF at 2.4kHz 18dB/oct.

ANY input is greatly appreciated!

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The LSI-9 don't need HP filter since it's more likely that the user will run them as small,which will introduce that from the Pre/pro receiver.I use 80hz myself.
    The LSI-15 has a built in woofer so it's more likely it will be run "large" so the HP filter is necesarry.
    The LSI-9 needs a quality sub to make them full range,so calculate that in the final price,the LSI-15 could also benefit from one but not mandatory.
    My money is on the 9[see my set up],if you pair it with the say Adire Rava sub[$399.00] it will potentially outperform the 15s, but their set up is a bit more complicated.

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I'd go with the 15's. When listening to the 9's I noticed a distinct mid bass hump that I didn't detect in the 15's. I'm not sure at what frequency point the hump is but if it's above the crossover point of your receiver/pre (which I suspect it is), it may be hard to get rid of.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer