Which player has the best audio around 1K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arron H, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Does anybody out there have a strong feeling about the dvd player with the best audio for around $1000? I spoke with a salesperson at one of the local stores who carries pioneer elite, rotel, and integra players. He seemed to feel that the rotel at around $999MSRP was the best for audio in that price range.

2. Simon Barnard

Simon Barnard Auditioning

Consider the Arcam DV88+, around £1000 here in the UK, so I assume about $1000 in the US. There is an additional cost for the DVD-A upgrade and I don't even think that's finalised. There's also a DV89 out soon I think but I'm not sure what the difference is. Also consider Marantz, Roksan, Denon and Cyrus.

Depends on your priorities I suppose, would you be willing to trade off PQ for sound.

I have a Primare V25 DVD player, £999, I don't know if there is a US distributor. I chose this over the Arcam.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Simon, Cyrus products are not sold in the US. I don't believe Primare components are either.

4. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Sound is definately a higher priority for me but decent PQ would definately be nice. I am wondering if I should just go for a CD player instead for around $500 and upgrade my Toshiba 5700 in a year or two when more universal dvd options are available? Any ideas on a really good CD player around $500?

5. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Has anyone looked into the new Rotel 1060 dvd player? I was reading a post on HTguide about it which indicated that the new 1060 has specs very similar to the Marantz 8300 for about 1/2 the price. The new Rotel will play DVDA and will be progressive but will not play SACDs. This player sounds interesting, especially if it comes in around $700-$800. Anyone heard anything else about it?

6. Simon Barnard

Simon Barnard Auditioning

Arron

I'd be surprised if anybody had more info than Club Rotel given Andrew Pratt's 'sources'.

Simon