Which Phantom Menace score CDs should I buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenT, Mar 12, 2002.

1. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

I own the 4 CD box set of the scores from the original trilogy, and I love them. After watching the new Attack of the Clones trailer with it's great music queues mainly from Return of the Jedi I spent time yesterday listening to those scores. I then realized I need to get the score for The Phantom Menace.

Looking it up online I discovered two versions. There's the original release and a longer ultimate edition release. From what I've read it seems the ultimate edition has more music, but it is edited in a very similar manner to the film. The first release is more like different suites of music. Which should I purchase? Should I just get both?

Going back to the box set of the OT scores I own. Is that the "ultimate" release of that music? Should I look into other releases?

Thanks for the help.

2. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn

3. StephenT

4. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's the slipcover for the Star Wars Special Edition soundtrack--two-disc set.
    Here's the one from Empire, from bestbuy.com:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/mandm/Product...ic&ST=10152285
    All three of the Special Edition soundtracks were released as two-disc sets back in early 1997. They were all released in two versions--the black slipcase versions (as seen in the links), had (IMO) nicer, book-style packaging, and they were also released in a more standard jewelcase style. AFAIK, the content is the same for all versions.
    Still need to hang on to the 1993 boxset, though, as it contains at least one track which is not on the Special Edition soundtracks--"Lapti Nek", the original source music song from the Jabba's palace sequence in Jedi, was replaced on the ROTJ Special Edition soundtrack in favor of the new "Jedi Rocks" track from the S.E. The Special Edition soundtracks are very nearly the definitive soundtracks for the films, with the exception of the missing tracks.
    Basically, the true Star Wars soundtrack enthusiasts need to get everything to have a complete collection of the film music.
    This is also a good time to mention that the soundtrack for Episode II - Attack of the Clones is due in stores April 23. I've heard conflicting reports on it being a one-or-two-disc set. Hopefully two (so we don't have to buy another one on down the line), but it'll probably be a one-disc set, just like with Phantom Menace.
    -mwb-

5. StephenT

Thanks Matt and Harrison. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Everything Harrison said was pretty spot on.

7. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have all 3 2-Disc sets for the Star Wars Trilogy (2 are the book version and one is the Keepcase)... I highly recommend them for any Star Wars fan, they are probably the best-sounding CDs I own too.

The Empire Strikes Back is worth the price of admission for 1 track: The Asteroid Field... which I think is one of my favorite film themes EVER.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'd personally go with the one disk version. The Ultimate Version is much more complete, but the presentation is crap. And I agree, one owes it to themselves to buy the 2 disk ESB soundtrack (with the silver Trilogy thingy on it.)

10. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Well, I have the 4 disc box set of the Star Wars Trilogy, the Ultimate Edition of Phantom Menace (I got rid of the 1-disc, and now I want it back - I think I'll do that soon).

This past weekend I somehow managed to luck onto ESB and RotJ 2 disc sets at Tower here in Phoenix, and both were the more expensive hardbound versions. Now I just need to find ANH. I think these are fairly hard to find in that format (the slimline ones are easier, but not that easy). Anybody know any good places to find that?