Which Perez Prado compilation should I buy?

Discussion in 'Music' started by rob kilbride, Sep 4, 2003.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    I would like to buy a compilation of Prado's music that has the original #1 hit versions of Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White as well as the well known version of Mambo #5. I've seen reviews of some of the compilations at Amazon.com warning that some of the songs are re-recordings so if there are any fans out there that would know the difference between song versions please let me know which compilation to buy.

2. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I don't know about compilations but when I was a kid I thought his "Voodoo Suite" was a great album. Unfortunately one of my friends put it on a radiator during the winter. Haven't listened to it since then. [​IMG]

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Who woulda guessed that there are over 100 listings for Perez Prado on Amazon!

I've never heard his Mambo #5 (the original?), but I remember Lou Bega's a few years back.

"Cherry Pink", now that's music!

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Get the original recordings! I am almost never happy with these "re-recordings," which generally are produced just to offer an older tune in stereo and with a more "contemporary" (read: inferior) arrangement. Get the bonafide stuff. Perez Prado had some awesome tracks, many of which are B-sides (such as WHY WAIT - the flipside of PATRICIA, and CHATANOOGA CHOO-CHOO).

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

When Prado re-recorded his hits in stereo they were the exact same arrangements. Others who have made versions of his songs would, of course, usually do their own take on the songs.
    A suggestion. Only consider the CDs on the RCA (BMG) label. Perez Prado on other labels are taken mostly from original 78s and Lps as any recording prior to 1954 are now in the public domain in Europe (where most of these CDs come from). In other words, sound quality may not be as good as the RCA CDs which are taken from the original master tapes. This album has the songs you're interested in.