What's new

Which PC joystick to get? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I want to spend less than $50. I just bought Comanche 4 and it's my first flying sim. The joystick will need to be able to do that twisty-thing to the left and right, so that omits the cheap $25 sticks.
It looks like these are my choices:
Logitech Extreme 3D
Microsoft Sidewinder 2
Any others? Any opinions on these or other sticks? I definitely don't want Force Feedback, because 1) it's more expensive, and 2) I get too stressed out when the darned thing moves against me...too lifelike. :)
Thanks

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Try the Saitek controllers. Futuristic looking but they are rock-solid.
Cyborg Gold is $39.95
http://

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Are the Saiteks compatible with most games? That's something I heard a while back, that MS's stuff was the most compatible, but that was like 5 years ago. I'm sure the technology has become better.

Gamespot seems to prefer the Logitech Extreme 3D over the MS one. Do they all have similar # of buttons? How do you guys feel about the button layout for your particular stick?

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer Logitech's Joysticks. I had two Microsoft Sidewinders and they both gave up the ghost (for no apparent reason) after six months. That was several years ago, so I don't know if they've improved the product since then. I do know I've owned my Logitech joystick for those years and it's still going strong.

My brother-in-law owns the Saitek and I'd say it's a strong contender. It has a really neat feature - you can switch the palm pad around, so the joystick can be used by both your right hand or your left hand. I like that when I'm playing a game that requires both the Joystick and the Mouse. Using a right handed Logitech joystick with your left hand is fairly uncomfortable.

The Saitek may be a little less sensitive than the Logitech, and a little more jerky. But they both have the same amount of button controls and they both seem to work as well on the same games.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Are there a lot of games that require stick/mouse combos? I can deal with using my left hand for a stick/keyboard combo (left on the keyboard). However if there are a lot of stick/mouse combo games I may have to consider getting a stick that can be used by either hand. Or get better at moving a mouse with my left hand... ;)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Make sure that whatever stick you get has a nice, heavy base on it. There's nothing worse than using the joystick with one hand and having the whole stupid thing rock from side to side.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
My hand has almost always instantly repelled from any Logitech stick or pad that I've ever touched. The buttons on them all have been horrible both in terms of feel and placement. I don't know if I'd ever want to actually try playing a game with them.

The MS sticks seem much better to me, but I guess mileage does vary.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's a good point, Graeme. I guess I'll go to BB this weekend and noodle around with each stick and see if one feels better than the other.

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Are there a lot of games that require stick/mouse combos?
Well, most of those games work primarily in Keyboard/Mouse combos, but I prefer them using the Joystick. FPS games are like that. The first one that *forced* me to use Keyboard | Mouse was Max Payne. I got used to it, but I sure enjoy using Joystick | Mouse more.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Just to throw my two cents in....

I just bought a Logitech Extreme Digital 3D a couple weeks back and I have no regrets. The best thing I can advize is to test the feel of each joystick at the store. I found the MS sticks to feel a bit "cheap". The Logitech one seemed very solid, the base is nice and heavy and the throttle control is nice and firm. I thought the Ms throttle was rather flimsy.

As for compatibility... So far so good. Works great in Team Alligator, Messiah and Descent3. I'm having troubles with pitch control on Janes's F15, but I think it's the game's problem not the joystick's.

The only beef I have with the joystick is that buttons 6 and 7 are on the base are exactly where you'd place your left hand for support. So you'll have to be a bit careful how you hold it. It's not an issue for me any more, but sometimes I accidently click button #6 when I don't want to.

However, the POV (point of view) control is really nice. Be sure to play with that on other sticks to see how it feels as you'll be using it a lot on a flight sim.

Good luck!

- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks